Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with text analysis - UNIX Post 302509265 by John0101 on Wednesday 30th of March 2011 11:24:43 AM
Old 03-30-2011
Help with text analysis - UNIX

Hey Guys

I recently posted yesterday about trying to count the amount of separate words that exists in a text file e.g. walle.txt.
i want the output to give to give me a list of words with a number next indicating how many times its came up in the file e.g:
cat 20
the 11
if 40

I'm completely new to Unix, I'm currently using the bash terminal from a Macbook Pro. I am running this on some example file scripts, is what i'm trying to do possible? if so please help.

Thanks

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I convert unix text to to win text?

How do I convert unix text files into readable text for windows. Dave (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nucca
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script: decrypt text uses frequency analysis

Ez all! I have a question how to decrypt text uses letter frequency analysis. I have code which count the letters, but what i need to do after that. Can anybody help me to write a code. VERY NEEDED! My code now: #!/usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS="" } { for (i=1; i <= NF; i++) { if ($i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SerJel
4 Replies

3. Programming

Regarding stack analysis

I would like to know how I could do the following : void func(){ int a = 100; b=0; int c = a/b; } void sig_handler (int sig,siginfo_t *info,void *context){ //signal handling function //here I want to access the variables of func() } int main(){ struct sigaction *act =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpraveen84
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

text file analysis

Hello, I have a text file containin 4 lines which are repeated along the file, ie the file looks like this: 16:20:12.060769 blablabla 40 16:20:12.093199 blablabla 640 16:20:12.209003 blablabla 640 16:20:12.273179 blablabla 216 16:20:27.217444 blablabla 40 16:20:27.235410 blablabla 640... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Celine19
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text analysis

Hey Guys, Does anyone know how to count the separate amount of words in a text file? e.g the 5 and 20 Furthermore does anyone know how to convert whole numbers in decimals? Thanks (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: John0101
24 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Data analysis, Regular Expression - Unix

Hey every one! I have a dataset like this : 1 100 1 0 5 100 1 8 7 50 1 0 7 100 2 0 10 20 1 8 10 30 1 8 10 100 3 8 15 50 5 0 20 90 1 0 20 99 9 0 I wanna check if the 4th column is 0 or 8 If it's zero write the 1st column itself, if it's 8 write sum of 1st and second something... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i run sql queries from UNIX shell script and retrieve data into text docs of UNIX?

Please share the doc asap as very urgently required. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 24ajay
1 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

Nmon Analysis

Dear All, I am an performance tester. Now i am working in project where we are using linux 2.6.32. Now I got an oppurtunity to learn the monitoring the server. As part of this task i need to do analysis of the Nmon report. I was completely blank in this. So please suggest me how to start... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamsengu
0 Replies
VOIKKOSPELL(1)						      General Commands Manual						    VOIKKOSPELL(1)

NAME
voikkospell - test program for Voikko spell checker SYNOPSIS
voikkospell [options] DESCRIPTION
voikkospell is a test program for spell checking functionality in libvoikko, library of Finnish language tools. It reads words from stdin (one word on a line) and print them to stdout, adding "C: " in front of correct words and "W: " in front of incorrect words. Common options of different Voikko test programs are listed in COMMON OPTIONS. OPTIONS
-m In addition to spelling result, prints morphological analysis info (A:) for recognized words. -M Prints morphological analysis info (A:) for recognized words without displaying spelling result. -t Prints only "C" or "W" instead of typical full output. -tt Prints only misspelled words. -s Prints suggestions (S:) for incorrectly spelled words. -cn Set cache size parameter to n. -1 disables the cache and 0 is the default. For checking large amounts of unsorted text you may want to set n to 5 to get better performance. -j n Use n threads for spell checking. When more than one thread is used checking is performed using large internal buffers which is why this mode should only be used for batch processing. -xc Like voikkospell -s but output is printed on one line separated by character c without "C", "W" or "S" in front of the words. If c is not defined words are separated by space and suggestions that have spaces in them are not printed. -l Prints a list of available dictionary variants and exits. The first variant is the default to be used when no specific variant has been requested. ignore_nonwords=n accept_first_uppercase=n accept_extra_hyphens=n accept_missing_hyphens=n ocr_suggestions=n Set the value of the specified boolean option. n can be either 0 (false) or 1 (true). COMMON OPTIONS
-p directory (voikkospell, voikkohyphenate, voikkogc) Look from directory before the standard locations when searching for dictionary files. -d variant (voikkospell, voikkohyphenate, voikkogc) Use dictionary variant variant instead of the default dictionary variant. The variant must be represented as a BCP 47 language tag. ignore_dot=n (voikkospell, voikkohyphenate) ignore_numbers=n (voikkospell, voikkohyphenate) Set the value of the specified boolean option. n can be either 0 (false) or 1 (true). -h, --help Print a help message and exit. --version Print version numbers for libvoikko and the test tool. AUTHOR
voikkospell and this manual page were written by Harri Pitkanen (hatapitk@iki.fi). 2012-02-27 VOIKKOSPELL(1)