Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming how to user get unix variable USER in C Post 302509062 by omega666 on Tuesday 29th of March 2011 05:24:59 PM
Old 03-29-2011
how to user get unix variable USER in C

in a C program, how do you access the unix environment variable USER for example?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable for User Comment

SCO 5.06 Is there a variable that holds a user's comment? In scoadmin -account, there's a comment field which we normally populate with the user's name. Or ... am I better off greping /etc/passwd? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable with a user defined variable

I have a file that has a list of entries in a column x z z z x y z The column can have any length and any number of any strings. I need to replace each unique string with a user defined number. I can filter the unique entries out using awk '{if (NF==5) print $2}' file | uniq | nl >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ce124
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i change to super user then revert back to ordinary user ,using shell script?

Hi all, I am trying to eject the cdrom from a livecd after certain stage... Now assuming that it is possible to eject,please consider my issue!!! The OS boots into a regular user by default...so i am unable to use the eject command to push out the drive... However if i try pfexec eject it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you take what a user types in and convert it into a variable to be used

I am a newbie to programming on the unix Command Line*, and was wondering how you take what a user types in and convert it into a variable to be used in the script? *I always used it for file editing, but nothing more. Then I began to use BBedit. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: signebedi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining if user is local-user in /etc/passwd or LDAP user

Besides doing some shell-script which loops through /etc/passwd, I was wondering if there was some command that would tell me, like an enhanced version of getent. The Operating system is Solaris 10 (recent-ish revision) using Sun DS for LDAP. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update LDIF User info based on Test User Certs ID's

Hi I need help.......... I have an Sun One Directory server LDIF file with 5000 user entries, I need to change the data to match Test ID's, so I can run a perf test. I'm way out of my league as I have not done any scripting for 10 years. There are four entries for each user in the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Macdaddy99
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print user variable input

this may be basic thing for everyone here, but i cant push awk to print the variable user input which is INS, please help. code: INS=$1 printf '\n' symdg list | grep $INS-clone | awk -v i=$INS '{ID=substr($4,9,4)}{print "Device Group: "$1,"at Array "ID,i}' output: $ ./test.sh patty ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prodigy06
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to prompt user to define a variable?

Hi everyone, Is it possible to define blank vaianbles and prompt user to fill them during the script execution? A very simple example: INPUT= OUTPUT= cut -f1-4 $INPUT | sed 's/hello/goodbye/g' | sort -uV > $OUTPUTThank you in advance! Best wishes (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsantome
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching from root to normal user takes me to user's home dir

Whenever i switch from root to another user, by doing su - user, it takes me to home directory of user. This is very annoying as i want to be in same dir to run different commands as root sometimes and sometimes as normal user. How to fix this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies
CREATE USER 
MAPPING(7) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation CREATE USER MAPPING(7) NAME
CREATE_USER_MAPPING - define a new mapping of a user to a foreign server SYNOPSIS
CREATE USER MAPPING FOR { user_name | USER | CURRENT_USER | PUBLIC } SERVER server_name [ OPTIONS ( option 'value' [ , ... ] ) ] DESCRIPTION
CREATE USER MAPPING defines a mapping of a user to a foreign server. A user mapping typically encapsulates connection information that a foreign-data wrapper uses together with the information encapsulated by a foreign server to access an external data resource. The owner of a foreign server can create user mappings for that server for any user. Also, a user can create a user mapping for his own user name if USAGE privilege on the server has been granted to the user. PARAMETERS
user_name The name of an existing user that is mapped to foreign server. CURRENT_USER and USER match the name of the current user. When PUBLIC is specified, a so-called public mapping is created that is used when no user-specific mapping is applicable. server_name The name of an existing server for which the user mapping is to be created. OPTIONS ( option 'value' [, ... ] ) This clause specifies the options of the user mapping. The options typically define the actual user name and password of the mapping. Option names must be unique. The allowed option names and values are specific to the server's foreign-data wrapper. EXAMPLES
Create a user mapping for user bob, server foo: CREATE USER MAPPING FOR bob SERVER foo OPTIONS (user 'bob', password 'secret'); COMPATIBILITY
CREATE USER MAPPING conforms to ISO/IEC 9075-9 (SQL/MED). SEE ALSO
ALTER USER MAPPING (ALTER_USER_MAPPING(7)), DROP USER MAPPING (DROP_USER_MAPPING(7)), CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER (CREATE_FOREIGN_DATA_WRAPPER(7)), CREATE SERVER (CREATE_SERVER(7)) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 CREATE USER MAPPING(7)