Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Script to delete a word based on position in a file Post 302507829 by nbks2u on Friday 25th of March 2011 12:16:40 AM
Old 03-25-2011
thank you.will check that. hope it solves my problem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check a word position in a file ?

Hello everybody, I have a file like this : "window 1 truck 3 duck 2... fire 1... etc..." and I would like to print the following number of a word I am searching for. (For example here, if I search for the word "fire", I will print "1") Thank you for your help ! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tibo
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to delete folder based on text file information

I have been working on a script to list all the name's of a subfolder in a text file then edit that text file and then delete the subfolder base on the edited text file so far I have been able to do every thing I just talked about but can't figure out how to delete the subfolers base on a text file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bone11409
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Paste a word in the third field position of a file

Hi All, I have a file like this, 0.0.0.1 /account 327706,Data Cleansing,,,CRM error,100,0 The above line is a comma separted data file. I want to modify the third field to The final data file should be like 0.0.0.1 /account 327706,Data Cleansing,,,CRM error,100,0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To Extract words from File based on Position

Hi Guys, While I was writing one shell script , I just got struck at this point. I need to extract words from a file at some specified position and do some comparison operation and need to replace the extracted word with another word. Eg : I like Orange very much. I need to replace... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuttu123
19 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put a word starting at particular position in a file using shell scripting

Hi all, I'm new to shell scripting and hence this query. I have 2 files. temp.txt and config.txt. The values in temp.txt are tab separated. ex: temp.txt AB CDE GHIJ OPQRS WXY ex:config.txt (1st line for 1st element of temp.txt and so on) start = '1' end='5' start = '6' end =... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhrap.das
26 Replies

6. Linux

Linux script to remove a character in a file based on position.

Greetings, We have a requirement where we need to loop in a fixed width file in linux and remove a character based on a position for every record. It would highly appreciate if someone can help to automate this. Appreciate your time and help! Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailme0205
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the 5th and 6th position character of a word in a file

I am trying to find/grep the 5th and 6th position character (TX) of a word in a file. I tried to do grep "....TX" file The output gives me everything in the file with TX in it. I only need the output with the TX in the 5th and 6th position of the word. Any idea Example: test1 car... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: e_mikey_2000
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a word at 72nd position of a matched line in a file

Hi, I need to search a file for a pattern,replace some other word and write a word at its 72nd position. For example, My name is Mano.Im learning Unix. I want to search the file in all lines containing the word "Mano".In that matched line,replace the word "Unix" with "Java".And... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mano1 n
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to delete to the list of files in a directory based on last created & delete them

Hi My directory structure is as below. dir1, dir2, dir3 I have the list of files to be deleted in the below path as below. /staging/retain_for_2years/Cleanup/log $ ls -lrt total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nobody 256 Mar 01 16:15 01-MAR-2015_SPDBS2 drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadn
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies
curs_deleteln(3X)														 curs_deleteln(3X)

NAME
deleteln, wdeleteln, insdelln, winsdelln, insertln, winsertln - delete and insert lines in a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int deleteln(void); int wdeleteln(WINDOW *win); int insdelln(int n); int winsdelln(WINDOW *win, int n); int insertln(void); int winsertln(WINDOW *win); DESCRIPTION
The deleteln and wdeleteln routines delete the line under the cursor in the window; all lines below the current line are moved up one line. The bottom line of the window is cleared. The cursor position does not change. The insdelln and winsdelln routines, for positive n, insert n lines into the specified window above the current line. The n bottom lines are lost. For negative n, delete n lines (starting with the one under the cursor), and move the remaining lines up. The bottom n lines are cleared. The current cursor position remains the same. The insertln and winsertln routines insert a blank line above the current line and the bottom line is lost. RETURN VALUE
All routines return the integer ERR upon failure and an OK (SVr4 specifies only "an integer value other than ERR") upon successful comple- tion. X/Open defines no error conditions. In this implementation, if the window parameter is null, an error is returned. PORTABILITY
These functions are described in the XSI Curses standard, Issue 4. The standard specifies that they return ERR on failure, but specifies no error conditions. NOTES
Note that all but winsdelln may be macros. These routines do not require a hardware line delete or insert feature in the terminal. In fact, they will not use hardware line delete/insert unless idlok(..., TRUE) has been set on the current window. SEE ALSO
curses(3X) curs_deleteln(3X)