Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting For loops with multiple variables Post 302507524 by sparcguy on Thursday 24th of March 2011 06:00:53 AM
Old 03-24-2011
thanks for your reply again dude.

I found a less painful way.

Quote:
EMAILID=`cat ./passwd | grep $i | sed 's/:/+/g' | cut -d+ -f6`
no need to loop

Will share the script for password aging for hpux trusted servers in another thread.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple for loops within a Menu?

I have program that I want to be able to use I guess you would call them functions.... to run muliple little programs or loops with one menu script. How would I do this. Here is some code I am using. Sorry about the formatting....it doesn't paste well. echo "*****************************... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variables being worked on inside of loops

I have a while read loop that reads values inside of a file and then performs an expr operation on each. Everything works fine, the way it's supposed to but, once the loop is finished, I can not access the variable that I used inside of the loop (but that variable was created outside of the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting headache... loops & variables

Surely there's an easier way to do this, lets see if anyone knows! I am new to scripting so go easy on me! I have the following script and at the moment it doesn't work and I believe the problem is that I am using a while loop within a while loop. When I run the script using sh -x I can see... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: StevePace
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple loops for Load test

Hi All, I am trying to write a bash script that will read a list of numbers from a file, then it needs to use netcat to create a socket connection and pass header/request. I need to limit it to 100 connections. So, after the first set of 100 are fineshed, I need to loop and do it again with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: willdev
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loops and variables under bash

Hi, This is probably going to be very simple but i came across something i can't quite explain. Here is the situation: i have a list of files, which i'd like to process one by one (get the size, make some tests, whatever) and generate some statistics using different variables. Something... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: m69w
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

While Loops Multiple File

Guru, I try to make a loop of 2 files, Input File1.txt: 1 2 File2.txt: A B C A, B and C is a file name, inside A X Y Z Expected Output A.1 X (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guns
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two variables in output file name nested for loops

I am trying to use two nested for loops to process some files and then create a new file using both variables in the output file name. I have several files in this naming style: S1_L3_all_R1.fastq S1_L3_all_R2.fastq S1_L4_all_R1.fastq S1_L4_all_R2.fastq . . S1_L8_all_R1.fastq... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aminards
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unset variables in shell when it running two different loops

I have a script to start/stop/restart the tomcat application. When we run the script first time i.e stop/start it set all env variables(DISTRIB_ID,NAME,TOMCAT_CFG,....etc),but when we restart the tomcat it is running in the same shell.....I need to set the variables when i restart the tomcat(in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen265
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with multiple for loops

All, I have set up ssh trust between 3 machines. The aim is to connect from machine-A to B and C and clear the txt files in tmp on all 3 machines. And, I have 3 environments and each environment has 2 hosts. So I should be able to run this script on any environment. Here is the logic: I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnara2
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh to multiple hosts and then run multiple for loops under remote session

Hello, I am trying to login to multiple servers and i have to run multiple loops to gather some details..Could you please help me out. I am specifically facing issues while running for loops. I have to run multiple for loops in else condition. but the below code is giving errors in for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_vardhani
2 Replies
pwconv(1M)						  System Administration Commands						pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)