Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Needing to wait for a line on screen and then give input repeatedly Post 302507388 by Scott on Wednesday 23rd of March 2011 05:21:29 PM
Old 03-23-2011
Does "your application" read from standard input?

Code:
$ cat Script1
read a
read b
read c
read d

echo "a is $a"
echo "b is $b"
echo "c is $c"
echo "d is $d"

$ printf "John\nDoe\nDrury Lane\nNothing" | ./Script1
a is John
b is Doe
c is Drury Lane
d is Nothing

If not, there's always expect

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wait for input

I got this from one of my instructors years ago and I use it constantly: echo "Press any key to continue\c" oldstty=$(stty -g) stty -icanon -echo min 1 time 0 dd bs=1 count=1 2>/dev/null stty "$oldstty" (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

making a .sh wait for user input

I need a script to halt at the end and wait for the user to hit a key...could be any ket or enter. I know it can be done but I am just starting out.. Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: verystupid
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can give the input to prompt using shell script

Hi, I want to send input to promt from shell script, this thing is possible. I give the one command `/usr/share/ssl/misc/CA -newreq` it needs some user input like password etc., but i need this input also from shell script but it does not works. `/usr/share/ssl/misc/CA -newreq` <<EOF... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaibhav Agarwal
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needing a line feed for windows app

I wrote a program to format data with awk. This file will goto a windows machine and loaded into a windows app. The vendor said adding a line feed would help, but it would work as is. I am already doing a /n, will putting on the /r give the windows person what he wants. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: benefactr
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver

Hi, I have a simple question : how to disable screen lock and/or sreen saver with command line with RHEL5.4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albator1932
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl line needing a tweak

Hi Folks, I have a perl line that looks like this and it works fine as is, but I need it to expand a bid further. perl -aF, -ne 'printf "conf zone %2\$s delete host %s,,,$F\n",split/\./,$F,2 if /^hostrecord/ &&/\b10\.8\.(|1)\.\d/' hosts.csv this code the way it is does this 10.8.3.0... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

function terminating if i give input as space or no input and enter

HI i have written a script to ask input from the user. this script should promote the user for y/n input. if user enters anyother input then y/n the script promotes him again. this below code is working fine for all the cases. except for space and enter " if i give space and enter it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BHASKARREDDY006
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - read does not wait for user input in some circumstances

Hello. I am running 2 scripts : script_1 and script_2 These scripts are run as root Script 2 contains : #!/bin/bash # # ~/bin/script_2 # E_BAD_PARAM=115 # date2stamp () { date --date "$1" +%Y-%m-%d___%H:%M:%S } # USER_NAME=$1 NB_PARAM=$# PARAM0=$0 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a string with each line from another file repeatedly

I don't know if it's been asked before but seems i gave up seeking. i have 2 files : file1.txt Monday XXXX Tuesday XXXX XXXX Wednesday Thursday XXXX XXXX is in every lines of file1.txt and i want to replace them with each line in file2.txt: home school cinema so output file is: ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: perseous
19 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to give input once logged in to server in script

Hi , when i am logging to the server i need to give input of specific key like k or l or m etc. and then need to put enter. need to use this in script . please assist. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupesh.bombale
1 Replies
line(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   line(1)

NAME
line - Reads one line from standard input SYNOPSIS
line STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: line: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None DESCRIPTION
The line command copies one line, up to and including a newline, from standard input and writes it to standard output. Use this command within a shell command file to read from your terminal. The line command always writes at least a newline character. NOTES
The line utility has no internationalization features and is marked LEGACY in XCU Issue 5. Use the read utility instead. EXIT STATUS
Success. End-of-File. EXAMPLES
To read a line from the keyboard and append it to a file, enter: echo 'Enter comments for the log:' echo ': c' line >>log This shell procedure displays the message: Enter comments for the log: It then reads a line of text from the keyboard and adds it to the end of the file log. The echo ': c' command displays a : (colon) prompt. See the echo command for information about the c escape sequence. SEE ALSO
Commands: echo(1), ksh(1), read(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: read(2) Standards: standards(5) line(1)