Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Modify /etc/passwd via script Post 302507369 by Corona688 on Wednesday 23rd of March 2011 04:24:25 PM
Old 03-23-2011
I've never seen leading zeroes in a UID or GID and can't predict the potential side-effects of adding them. They might go away of their own accord any time you edit that user again, for that matter. They're not supposed to be strings and won't be processed as such. Hopefully most things will just ignore them but that's no guarantee.

Are you absolutely sure there's absolutely no way to just have them exported with a leading zero as far as your NIS config is concerned or something? Hand-butchering your /etc/passwd file should be an absolute last resort.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passwd -l script

I need to lockout about 250 user accounts on a server. I figure on putting the user accounts to be locked out in a text file and the running a script to go through the file and run the "passwd -l useraccount" against the /etc/passwd file (yes, I am root as I do this). Here is what I have so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: antalexi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using a script to modify the crontab

I want to add one line to the end of my crontab using a script. I have tried piping in the editor commands, but I can't get it to work. crontab -e user << EX $a This is the text I want to add. . wq EX This doesn't work. Is there an easier way to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmsucpe
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify Perl script to work with txt - Permissions script

Hi I have this code, and i want work with a ls -shalR output in .txt What i need read to do this?? Where start? #!/usr/bin/perl # Allrights- A perl tool for making backups of file permissions # Copyright (C) 2005 Norbert Klein <norbert@acodedb.com> # This program is free... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joangopan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help to modify my script

Hi, I have a script which connect to ATM's and pull two files from the ATM. The which i try to pull is like PIC20085200001*.JPG First 7 digit consist of year montn and date as well After todays execution i want to change the date to next date I add few lines in the script but it is not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to modify /etc/shadow

Hi I am looking for script to modify /etc/shadow. For example: 1-)User enters username 2-)The line of that user is found in /etc/shadow and *LK* is added infront of the second field in /etc/shadow. How can I do this? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can I modify this script.

hello forum members, I have a script which is used find the Uname and passwords and redirects into a output.txt file.I hardcoded a string "ciadev" but iwant search two more strings also "absdev" and "absprod" So modify this script please. I am lookinmg forward from you, please find the below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
2 Replies

7. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

8. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify the file by script

Hi All, I have an input file like below, 6984 1225 6989 1220 6994 1214 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify python script

How can I modify this so it uses Seamonkey and goes to Yahoo Advanced Web Search #!/usr/bin/python3 import os import urllib google = os.popen('zenity --entry --text="Enter what you want to google: " --title="google.py"').read() google = urllib.quote(google) os.system('firefox... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
8 Replies
IDMAP_AD(8)                                                 System Administration tools                                                IDMAP_AD(8)

NAME
idmap_ad - Samba's idmap_ad Backend for Winbind DESCRIPTION
The idmap_ad plugin provides a way for Winbind to read id mappings from an AD server that uses RFC2307/SFU schema extensions. This module implements only the "idmap" API, and is READONLY. Mappings must be provided in advance by the administrator by adding the posixAccount/posixGroup classes and relative attribute/value pairs to the user and group objects in the AD. IDMAP OPTIONS
range = low - high Defines the available matching UID and GID range for which the backend is authoritative. Note that the range acts as a filter. If specified any UID or GID stored in AD that fall outside the range is ignored and the corresponding map is discarded. It is intended as a way to avoid accidental UID/GID overlaps between local and remotely defined IDs. schema_mode = <rfc2307 | sfu > Defines the schema that idmap_ad should use when querying Active Directory regarding user and group information. This can be either the RFC2307 schema support included in Windows 2003 R2 or the Service for Unix (SFU) schema. EXAMPLES
The following example shows how to retrieve idmappings from our principal and trusted AD domains. If trusted domains are present id conflicts must be resolved beforehand, there is no guarantee on the order conflicting mappings would be resolved at this point. This example also shows how to leave a small non conflicting range for local id allocation that may be used in internal backends like BUILTIN. [global] idmap backend = tdb idmap uid = 1000000-1999999 idmap gid = 1000000-1999999 idmap config CORP : backend = ad idmap config CORP : range = 1000-999999 AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 IDMAP_AD(8)