Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merging Frequencies in a File Post 302507180 by tene on Wednesday 23rd of March 2011 02:26:59 AM
Old 03-23-2011
Code:
awk '{arr[$1]+= $2}END{for (i in arr) print i" "arr[i]}' inputfile

This User Gave Thanks to tene For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Merging Two File Horizontally

I am trying to merge two large file horizontally using paste command. Every thing is working fine except for time. Its taking lot of time. Is there any effiecient way of doing the same thing or is there anyway by which I can improve its perfomance programatically? Thanks, Yeheya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yeheyaansari
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merging two lines in a file

Hi All, I want to merge two lines in a file till the end of the file. So what could be the command to get so. say file name : sample.txt contents: country=1 send apps =1 rece=2 country=2 send apps =3 rece=3 .. ... output: country=1;send apps =1 rece=2 country=2;send apps =3... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thaduka
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merging 2 file

I have 2 files file1.txt a 123 aqsw c 234 sfdr fil2.txt b 345 hgy d 4653 jgut I want to merger in such a manner the the output file should be outfile.txt a 123 aqsw b 345 hgy c 234 sfdr d 4653 jgut Do we have any command to achive this? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a column from a file and merging with other file using awk

Hi All: I have following files: File 1: <header> text... text .. text .. text .. <\header> x y z ... File 2: <header> text... text .. text .. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn006
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recalculating frequencies

My file looks like this The first 2 sequences are identical (different ID and frequencies though). The same thing for the last 2. What I need is to compare all sequences within the file and if they are identical, they need to be 'compressed' to one entry and the frequency should be recalculated.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending lines with word frequencies, ordering and indexing a column

Dear All, I have the following input data: w1 20 g1 w1 10 g1 w2 12 g1 w2 23 g1 w3 10 g1 w3 17 g1 w3 12.5 g1 w3 21 g1 w4 11 g1 w4 13.2 g1 w4 23 g1 w4 18 g1 First I seek to find the word frequencies in col1 and sort col2 in ascending order for each change in a col1 word. Second,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghetz
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging data from one file into another

Hello, I have a master database of a dictionary with the following structure: a=b (b is a Unicode string) a is the English part and b is the equivalent in a foreign language I have also another file which has a database where the /b/ part of the string has been corrected by an expert. let us... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging two file

Dear All, I have two file like this: file1: a1234 b1235 c4678 d7859 file2 : e4575 f7869 g7689 h9687 I want output like this: a1234 b1235 c4678 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of extra spaces in *.log files to allow extraction of frequencies

Our university has upgraded its version of a computational chemistry program that our group uses quite regularly. In the past we have been able to extract frequency spectra from log files that are generated. Since the upgrade, the viewing program errors out. I've been able to trace down the changes... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: wsuchem
16 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gaps and frequencies

I have this infile: >GHL8OVD01BNNCA Freq 10 TAGATGTGCCCGTGGGTTTCCCGTCAACACCGGATAGT-GCAGCA-TA >GHL8OVD01CMQVT Freq 1 TTGATGTCGTGGGTTTCCCGTCAACACCGGCAAATAGT-GCAGCA-TA >GHL8OVD01CMQVT Freq 1 TTGATGTGCCAGTTTCCCGTCTAGCAGCACTACCAGGACCTTCGC-TA >GHL8OVD01CMQVW Freq 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xterra
1 Replies
pipe(2) 							System Calls Manual							   pipe(2)

Name
       pipe - create an interprocess channel

Syntax
       include <limits.h> /*Definition of PIPE_MAX*/
       pipe(fildes)
       int fildes[2];

Arguments
       fildes	 Passing an address as an array of two integers into the system call.

Description
       The system call creates an I/O mechanism called a pipe.	The file descriptors returned can be used in and operations.  Their integer values
       will be the two lowest available at the time of the function call.  The O_NONBLOCK and FD_CLOEXEC flags will be clear on both file descrip-
       tors.

When the pipe is written using the descriptor fildes[1], up to PIPE_MAX bytes of data are buffered before the writing process is suspended.
       A read using the descriptor fildes[0] picks up the data.

It is assumed that after the pipe has been set up, two (or more) cooperating processes (created by subsequent calls) pass data through  the
       pipe with and calls.

The shell has a syntax to set up a linear array of processes connected by pipes.

For further information on how and calls behave with pipes, see the and reference pages.

A signal is generated if a write on a pipe with only one end is attempted.

Restrictions
       Should more than 4096 bytes be necessary in any pipe among a loop of processes, deadlock may occur.

The  underlying	implementation	of  pipes is no longer socket based, but rather implemented through the file system.  Any application that
       needs socket functionality from pipes should use the system call.

Return Values
       The function value zero is returned if the pipe was created; -1 if an error occurred.

Diagnostics
       The call fails if:

[EMFILE]       Too many descriptors are active.

[ENFILE]       The system file table is full.

[EFAULT]       The fildes buffer is in an invalid area of the process's address space.

Environment
       Differs from the System V definition in that ENFILE is not a possible error condition.

See Also
       sh(1), fork(2), read(2), socketpair(2), write(2)

pipe(2)