Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Checking arguments
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking arguments Post 302507090 by kristinu on Tuesday 22nd of March 2011 06:20:00 PM
Old 03-22-2011
Yes, some things would have already been done, but it will only be about processing the information given (declaration of variables). So it does not matter if I stop and exit.

I use the dafault to pass filenames (no tags are used when passing certain files).

Can you give a small example that I can follow Chub?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[: too many arguments

hi I am getting too many arguments error for the below line if ; then Thx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vls1210
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Too many arguments

echo "the number from 1 to 10:" i=1 while do echo $i i=`expr $i+1' done above is the program i written in Linux O.S using vi editor but i am getting the error that while: line 3: i am not understanding that why i am getting this error. can any body please help me regarding this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsatishbabu
3 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

checking for number of arguments.

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Your script must check for the correct number of arguments (one argument). If somebody tries to invoke the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brooksie91
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with two arguments to arguments to surch for

Hello, is it possible to give grep two documents to surche for? like grep "test" /home/one.txt AND /home/two.txt ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cybertron
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to take arguments?

Hey everybody. How do you write a program that will produce output based on its arguments? For example, how would you write one that will add 1 to an integer argument so it would look like this: $add 1 78 79 $ I only know how to write programs to take user input with the read function,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclepickle1
2 Replies

6. SCO

Stop boot system at "Checking protected password and checking subsystem databases"

Hi, (i'm sorry for my english) I'm a problem on boot sco unix 5.0.5 open server. this stop at "Checking protected password and checking subsystem databases" (See this image ) I'm try this: 1) http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/50/37093/#post37094 2) SCO: SCO Unix - Server hangs... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: buji
9 Replies

7. Programming

Checking which arguments are supplied

I have written this C++ program and I am using getopt_long and (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

8. Programming

I have written this C++ program and I am using getopt_long (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Programming

I have written this C++ program and I am using getopt_long and want to chech when the user supplies the arguments so that I can put a default or otherwise. Currently I am using hasargv or Pc.get_string("key",s), Pc.get_real("key",s), etc to detect whether the user supplied a value. For... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Too many arguments

because it gives me this error if? while read linea do #echo "Archivos Entrada: $linea" largo=`awk '{print length($linea)}'` echo "largo : $largo " if ; then #Here's the problem, I take this line and it works echo "a es igual a 1" fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
3 Replies
RENAME(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 RENAME(1)

NAME
rename - renames multiple files SYNOPSIS
rename [ -v ] [ -n ] [ -f ] perlexpr [ files ] DESCRIPTION
"rename" renames the filenames supplied according to the rule specified as the first argument. The perlexpr argument is a Perl expression which is expected to modify the $_ string in Perl for at least some of the filenames specified. If a given filename is not modified by the expression, it will not be renamed. If no filenames are given on the command line, filenames will be read via standard input. For example, to rename all files matching "*.bak" to strip the extension, you might say rename 's/.bak$//' *.bak To translate uppercase names to lower, you'd use rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' * OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Verbose: print names of files successfully renamed. -n, --no-act No Action: show what files would have been renamed. -f, --force Force: overwrite existing files. ENVIRONMENT
No environment variables are used. AUTHOR
Larry Wall SEE ALSO
mv(1), perl(1) DIAGNOSTICS
If you give an invalid Perl expression you'll get a syntax error. BUGS
The original "rename" did not check for the existence of target filenames, so had to be used with care. I hope I've fixed that (Robin Barker). perl v5.12.4 2011-08-10 RENAME(1)