Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trying to sort words and numbers associated with them. Post 302507078 by maq on Tuesday 22nd of March 2011 05:26:41 PM
Old 03-22-2011
Trying to sort words and numbers associated with them.

Hi. I have a file containing words and numbers associated with them as follows -
Code:
c 2
b 5
c 5
b 6
a 10
b 16
c 18
a 19
b 21
c 27
a 28
b 33
a 76
a 115
c 199
c 251
a 567
a 1909

I want to sort them so that I get something like
Code:
a 10
a 19
a 28
a 76
a 115
a 567
a 1909
b 5
b 6
b 16
b 21
b 33
c 2
c 5
c 18
c 27
c 199
c 251

So you observe that each word is listed in the alphabetical order. At the same time, the numbers for each word also follow in the numerical order. I tried using Unix sort, but unix sort gives a problem for entries like
Code:
a 10
a 115
a 19

Here, the "correct" order should be
Code:
a 10
a 19
a 115

How is it possible to achieve this? Someone please help me.

Last edited by Franklin52; 03-23-2011 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Web Development

Query to print numbers in words

Hi, If i give a number say "1234" the output of mysql query should be: one thousand and twenty four How to write mysql query for this? With regards Vanitha (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract numbers below words with awk

Hi all, Please some help over here. I have a Sales.txt file containing info in blocks for every sold product in the pattern showed below (only for 2 products). NEW BLOCK SALE DATA PRODUCT SERIAL 79833269999 146701011945004 .Some other data .Some... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query to print numbers in words

Hi, I have to write a shell script that converts numbers in to words below is what i wrote.My script is not running. ----------------------------------- echo -n "Enter number : " read n len= echo $n | wc -c echo " number in words : " for ( i=1; i<len; i++ ) do num=echo $n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bab123
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort words in a line

Hi Im looking for a way, hopefully a one-liner to sort words in a line e.g "these are the words in a line" to "a are in line the these words" Thanks! (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebelbuttmunch
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between words and not between numbers

Hi, Sorry in advance for propably a silly question, but I am a bit lost. On some of the linux job flow I have the following check: if ($file != 1500) then echo ERROR It works ok, all times $file is not equal to 1500 I have the error message. I try to do something similar... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: essemario
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put numbers against the words

Hi All, I tried to solve this but the result gives me all zeros for one file. I failed to do for all 500 files. I have some 500 files with the extension .dat I have another set of files; 500 in number with extension .dic I created these .dic files by using sort -u from the actual .dat files.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it Possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command?

Hello Everybody :) !!!. i have question in mind, is it possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding numbers matching with words

Hi All, I have a file which looks like this: abc 1 abc 2 abc 3 abc 4 abc 5 bcd 1 bcd 3 bcd 3 bcd 5 cde 7 This file is just a miniature version of what I really have. Original file is some 1 million lines long. I have tried to come up with the code for what I wish to accomplish... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

words sort

hello guys i need a command that take the words from multiple files and put them in another file this way: one word needs to appear only once in the destination file with small letters no matter how it appears in source files , the words from destination file needs to be alphabetical ordered and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: G30
10 Replies
Locale::Script(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       Locale::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Script(3pm)