Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Binary files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Binary files Post 302507018 by methyl on Tuesday 22nd of March 2011 02:23:42 PM
Old 03-22-2011
Code:
I don't know the binary file format

Unix Shell commmands like "wc" expect a unix text file format with each line terminated by a linefeed character.

This task is impossible with the information supplied.

Have you considered reading the file back with whatever programming language was used to create the file and taking into account whatever file structure was used originally?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Binary Files

Does any one know how to view a binary file as it is (in 1s and 0s) on unix environment? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: devildivine
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Binary Files

Here's the problem... I'm using a simulator on UNIX, and it requires a filename where bits are stored, it should read them out and do whatever with them at that point.. So what i'm trying to do is make a binary file on UNIX. On my PC i can use MSDEV, or any of my C++ compilers to generate a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcRandThor
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Files Linked With A Binary

Hi, What is command in unix to find what are all the files linked with an executable binary. Thanks in advance. Rgds, Omkumar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tc.omkumar
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Joining two or more binary files together

Is there a way to join two or more binary files together without corrupting the data? I've searched the forums, and googled etc. but the only commands that get mentioned are 'cat', which only works for text files and 'join'. According to the man pages join is a 'relational database operator',... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boothy
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for files excluding binary files

Hi All, I need a solution on my following find command find ./.. -name '*.file' -print BTW This gives me the output as belows ./rtlsim/test/ADCONV0/infile/ad0_dagctst.file ./rtlsim/test/ADCONV0/user_command.file ./rtlsim/test/ADCONV0/simv.daidir/scsim.db.dir/scsim.db.file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reg : binary files

HI Friends, My actual requirement is to find out the binary files except txt/gif from parent and subdirectories. so,i have to write unix shell script. Any one please suggest me on this how to write script for this or any other alternate way is there to find out. Thanks & Regards, Srujana (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: srujana
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparison between binary files

Hello, I would like to know if we can compare binary(non text) files in unix eg. exes Thanks Saurabh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smehra_20
3 Replies

8. Programming

Editing binary files

I am working in C and need a solution for below problem: I have a binary file, which needs to be edited in such a way no data is loss. For example i have to insert 3 bytes of data at some position without changing the contents of the file. if file has data as:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: junaid.nehvi
2 Replies

9. Programming

reading binary files

#include <stdio.h> /* typedef struct { char name; int number; float balance; } acct_info_t; */ int main() { FILE *fptr; fptr = fopen("acct_info", "r"); int magic = 5; fseek(fptr,3,SEEK_SET); fread(&magic,sizeof(int),1,fptr);... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: robin_simple
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Binary files diff

Hi I am very happy to joined this group!!! I need your suggestion for get it resolved my issue. I have two class files both class files are same, there is no diff in both two files. Both 2 files were compiled in Linux environment with different type of OS. When i am using diff command,... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh1256644
13 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)