Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove timestamp from multiple filename Post 302506912 by ctsgnb on Tuesday 22nd of March 2011 08:42:08 AM
Old 03-22-2011
please copy paste the code you used so we can check if we see something wrong.

by the way, which plateform and which shell are you using ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to add a timestamp to a filename?

whats going on guys. below is a script i made and am just curious if there is a "time stamp" command. so i can set the timestamp in a filename. #! /bin/ksh # # This scripts takes a list of files in the INDIR variable and compairs it to a list of files that are open in the same directory.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

add timestamp to filename

Does anyone know how to add a timestamp to a file's name extension in a shell script? Please help.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: walterja
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename multiple filename.45267.txt to >> filename.txt

i have several thousand files and in subdirs that are named file.46634.txt budget.75346.pdf etc i want to remove the number but retain the extension. it is always a 5 digit. thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason7
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timestamp in the filename

Hi i want to replace the previous time stamp with the current timsatp at the start of the file like 20090710_113354_FT0710a.txt this one to 20091111__113354_FT0710a.txt thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract timestamp from the filename?

Hi., My file name is of the format: name_abc_20100531_142528.txt where., my timestamp is of the format: yyyymmdd_hhmmss How to extract the date strring and time string into seperate variables in the shell script, after reading the file as the input? I want to get the variables... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: av_vinay
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract date from filename and set timestamp

I have lots of files in this format: dvgrab-2003.06.29_15-30-24.mpg The numbers represents the date and time (YYYY.MM.DD_HH-MM-SS) How can I extract the dates from the filenames, and use the dates in the file timestamp? I guess this can be done by using "find", "sed" and "touch"? Can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwerty1234
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get filename with size and timestamp

Hi, Below is a directory containing links new2,list,new1. I need to get the size and timestamp for them. How do i get these details. Please help lrwxrwxrwx 1 xxx abc 11 Nov 24 17:34 new2 -> ./org1/new2 lrwxrwxrwx 1 xxx abc 11 Nov 24 17:34 list -> ./org2/list lrwxrwxrwx 1 xxx abc 10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradebban
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename timestamp

Hi Gurus, I have different files with different timestamp and different base file name, I have to group those files based on basename and provide a unique file name for similar file names. My Directory has following files. abc_filename_20130623:00:09:00.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user_linux
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort the timestamp in the filename in shell script?

originally the shellscript #ln_file_name=`echo $ld_interface_date"_"${8}".csv"` #ln_file_name=`echo 201202011527_HL_HLTM1_B04A.csv` ln_file_name="*"`echo ${7}".csv"` get_file_list_1=$log_path"tm1_file_list.gfl1" cd ${source_path} echo "Try to find any file exist in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: feilhk
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i make my cron/script to generate a log filename with timestamp in it ?

Hello Friends, I would like my script to display date timestamps in the file name for every script execution. Below is the scenario: (just for testing purpose) I scheduled a cron job, lets say it runs every 5 min and record/logs output in to a log file. 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 *... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies
PASTE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  PASTE(1)

NAME
paste -- merge corresponding or subsequent lines of files SYNOPSIS
paste [-s] [-d list] file ... DESCRIPTION
The paste utility concatenates the corresponding lines of the given input files, replacing all but the last file's newline characters with a single tab character, and writes the resulting lines to standard output. If end-of-file is reached on an input file while other input files still contain data, the file is treated as if it were an endless source of empty lines. The options are as follows: -d list Use one or more of the provided characters to replace the newline characters instead of the default tab. The characters in list are used circularly, i.e., when list is exhausted the first character from list is reused. This continues until a line from the last input file (in default operation) or the last line in each file (using the -s option) is displayed, at which time paste begins selecting characters from the beginning of list again. The following special characters can also be used in list: newline character tab character \ backslash character Empty string (not a null character). Any other character preceded by a backslash is equivalent to the character itself. -s Concatenate all of the lines of each separate input file in command line order. The newline character of every line except the last line in each input file is replaced with the tab character, unless otherwise specified by the -d option. If '-' is specified for one or more of the input files, the standard input is used; standard input is read one line at a time, circularly, for each instance of '-'. EXIT STATUS
The paste utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
List the files in the current directory in three columns: ls | paste - - - Combine pairs of lines from a file into single lines: paste -s -d ' ' myfile Number the lines in a file, similar to nl(1): sed = myfile | paste -s -d ' ' - - Create a colon-separated list of directories named bin, suitable for use in the PATH environment variable: find / -name bin -type d | paste -s -d : - SEE ALSO
cut(1), lam(1) STANDARDS
The paste utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A paste command appeared in Version 32V AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 25, 2004 BSD