Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Aliases wont work after set command Post 302506742 by binlib on Monday 21st of March 2011 08:52:37 PM
Old 03-21-2011
You can't pass arguments into an alias (not in bash, ksh at least). If you need to put these args at the end, then just omit them as ctsgnb pointed out. If you do need to pass arguments into the middle of your command line, make it a function instead of an alias.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Netscape Wont work...

Cant Get Netscape to work... I get this messsage: Perhaps there is a problem with your name server? if your site must use a non-root name server, you will need to set the $SOCKS_NS environment variable to point at the appropreate name server. It may (or may not) be necessary to set this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eric_Bakken
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

head command wont work on MF file

I am trying to do a head on a mainframe file and on doing ti just gives me a blank screen with nothing on it. however, when i do a tail for the same file...i get a few lines on the screen. i know tht mainframe files have all the records on one line...does this have to do something with this.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Unix] a dos style rename wont work

Hey guys i'm creating a dos style rename script, so if a user types say q14.* as the 1st param and b14.* as the 2nd and will rename all q14 files to b14 but keep the extensions, so i've developed nearly the full script "i think", if i use echo(echo "if $1 had been renamed it would now be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fblade1987
3 Replies

4. Solaris

create command aliases for a user

Hi all, I am using Solaris 10 OS on X86. When I add a new user from command useradd -d /export/home/vikas -m -s /bin/bash vikas files local.cshrc, local.login, local.profile and .profile get copied to my home directory (i.e. /export/home/vikas) from /etc/skel/ Which file I have to change... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

My Wireless Script Wont Work.....anyone??

ive been trying to write a simple (at least i thought it was) script to launch my wireless usb under ubuntu with kde. im using nano. when i run it from a terminal it works fine, but it just wont run from the script. there is a caveat, but first heres the script. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: braze
7 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

AjaxTerm wont work on Mac OS X

just downloaded Ajaxterm-0.10 on my Mac 10.5.8 and after a ./ajaxterm.py i get: AjaxTerm at http://localhost:8022/ which looks ok but as soon i go to the website: ./ajaxterm.py:418: DeprecationWarning: 'I' format requires 0 <= number <= 4294967295 fcntl.ioctl(fd,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: berot3
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 commands in script wont work together

For some reason when I run these separately they work but when they are in a script file the second wont: printf "%s\n" "$RANDOM"."$RANDOM" "$RANDOM"."$RANDOM" "$RANDOM"."$RANDOM" "$RANDOM"."$RANDOM" | tee $HOME/bpl/random RANDOM1=$( <$HOME/bpl/random ) Anyone know why? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkohn11
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Creating script - grep wont work?

This is my first script and I wont get it working.. sorry for being a total noob but here it is: #./bin/sh -x echo "1:st argument = $1"; echo "2:nd argument = $2"; grep "$1" "$2" In the terminal I write, for example, su.sh sausage sausage.txt Also tried su.sh "sausage" "sausage.txt" but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prantare
2 Replies

9. Solaris

ALOM wont work when KVM connected to Sun Fire V440 server

Hi, I was asked to connect a KVM screen to a Sun Fire V440 last night so I connected it up but no joy and nothing on the KVM screen. I was told that a reboot may fix the problem so connected to the ALOM and rebooted. On the plus side, the KVM screen now works but I lost the ALOM connection. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy54321
0 Replies

10. Solaris

How to set permanent aliases?

Hi All On my Solaris 10 X86, under my root directory I have a file called Aliases. It is owned by root (root:root) and the user (I mean root) has rwx permissions. In this file I have set some aliases like the following alias a="cd /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppAerver/Profiles" When I run the above... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrs0302
0 Replies
alias(1)							   User Commands							  alias(1)

NAME
alias, unalias - create or remove a pseudonym or shorthand for a command or series of commands SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/alias [ alias-name [ = string...]] /usr/bin/unalias alias-name... /usr/bin/unalias -a csh alias [ name [def]] unalias pattern ksh alias [-tx] [ name [ = value]...] unalias name... unalias [-a] DESCRIPTION
The alias and unalias utilities create or remove a pseudonym or shorthand term for a command or series of commands, with different func- tionality in the C-shell and Korn shell environments. /usr/bin/alias The alias utility creates or redefines alias definitions or writes the values of existing alias definitions to standard output. An alias definition provides a string value that replaces a command name when it is encountered. An alias definition affects the current shell execution environment and the execution environments of the subshells of the current shell. When used as specified by this document, the alias definition will not affect the parent process of the current shell nor any utility envi- ronment invoked by the shell. /usr/bin/unalias The unalias utility removes the definition for each alias name specified. The aliases are removed from the current shell execution environ- ment. The -a option removes all alias definitions from the current execution environment. csh alias assigns def to the alias name. The assigned def is a list of words that may contain escaped history-substitution metasyntax. name is not allowed to be alias or unalias. If def is omitted, the alias name is displayed along with its current definition. If both name and def are omitted, all aliases are displayed. Because of implementation restrictions, an alias definition must have been entered on a previous command line before it can be used. unalias discards aliases that match (filename substitution) pattern. All aliases may be removed by `unalias *'. ksh alias with no arguments prints the list of aliases in the form name=value on standard output. An alias is defined for each name whose value is given. A trailing space in value causes the next word to be checked for alias substitution. The -t flag is used to set and list tracked aliases. The value of a tracked alias is the full pathname corresponding to the given name. The value becomes undefined when the value of PATH is reset but the aliases remained tracked. Without the -t flag, for each name in the argument list for which no value is given, the name and value of the alias is printed. The -x flag is used to set or print exported aliases. An exported alias is defined for scripts invoked by name. The exit status is non-zero if a name is given, but no value, and no alias has been defined for the name. The aliases given by the list of names may be removed from the alias list with unalias. OPTIONS
The following option is supported by unalias: -a Removes all alias definitions from the current shell execution environment. ksh The following option is supported by alias: -t Sets and lists tracked aliases. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: alias alias-name Write the alias definition to standard output. unalias alias-name The name of an alias to be removed. alias-name=string Assign the value of string to the alias alias-name. If no operands are given, all alias definitions will be written to standard output. OUTPUT
The format for displaying aliases (when no operands or only name operands are specified) is: "%s=%s " name, value The value string will be written with appropriate quoting so that it is suitable for reinput to the shell. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Modifying a command's output This example specifies that the output of the ls utility is columnated and more annotated: example% alias ls="ls -CF" Example 2: Repeating previous entries in the command history file This example creates a simple "redo" command to repeat previous entries in the command history file: example% alias r='fc -s' Example 3: Specifying a command's output options This example provides that the du utility summarize disk output in units of 1024 bytes: example% alias du=du -k Example 4: Dealing with an argument that is itself an alias name This example sets up the nohup utility so that it can deal with an argument that is itself an alias name: example% alias nohup="nohup " ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of alias and unalias: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. alias >0 One of the alias-name operands specified did not have an alias definition, or an error occurred. unalias >0 One of the alias-name operands specified did not represent a valid alias definition, or an error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), shell_builtins(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 alias(1)