Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Commands to reorganize a text file Post 302506450 by gwr on Sunday 20th of March 2011 10:57:34 PM
Old 03-20-2011
Commands to reorganize a text file

Hi!

I am trying to create a script to reorder the contents of a text file. Below is the text file initially, followed by how I would like it reordered:

File initially:
---
Initial lines with text and/or numbers

x1 y1 z1 num1
1 E1,1
2 E1,2
3 E1,3
4 E1,4
5 E1,5
6 E1,6
{note to forum: there is always one linespace in between}
x2 y2 z2 num2
1 E2,1
2 E2,2
3 E2,3
4 E2,4
5 E2,5
6 E2,6

(The above sections are repeated hundreds of times.)

File reordered:
---
x y z 1 2 ...
x1 y1 z1 E1,1 E1,2 ...
x2 y2 z2 E2,1 E2,2 ...

I hope this makes sense. Essentially I need to be able to generate an Excel plot of x, y and z versus the energies. Other notes:

1. x1, y1, z1, E1,1 etc. are all numbers (decimals and floating point).
2. The '1', '2', '3', ... numbers above are exactly what appears.

Any help that can be provided would be great! I have attached a copy of the real initial file.

Thanks!
gwr

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy/Paste text as commands in AIX

Hello, I'm absolutely new to this world... but I've a problem with a terminal connected via PuTTY (or Termlite) to an AIX 5.1 application. The problem: I need to paste from clipboard a text containing both input text strings and special keys as ESC, Arrows and so on, to execute in the AIX... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniele11
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reorganize data by using AWK

I have a file with several rows of info (^SAMPLE.........) and sevaral rows of values (ABCD_1809034 4.390243627784612). I would like to reorganize the input to desired output defined below. Thanx in advance! INPUT ^SAMPLE = GSM289470 !Sample_title = Sample 3_CAP153242 #ID_REF = #VALUE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stateperl
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display lines 30 to 40 of a text file using head and/or tail commands

Assume that the text file contains over 40 lines. How do you do this?!?!? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phunkypants
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to parse text file into sql commands

Hello all, I tried searching for something similiar before posting but couldn't come up with anything that fit what I need. In Linux, I'm trying to parse through a number of files and take the info in them and put it into mysql. My file is a dump from an expect script: ---filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamanjam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I reorganize the text file content for DB import?

Dear Madam / Sir, My Boss need to reorganize :rolleyes: the text file ready for DB import, here show you the requirment and seems not difficult but how to make it by shell script or other programming language effectively. FILE1 : user1,location1,location2,locatoin3,seat1,seat2,seat3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwong99
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Linux Commands on selected text

Hi I have a XML file as shown below: <Text Text_ID="10155645315850165_10155645333075165" From="460350337463650" Created="2014-10-16T17:05:37+0000" use_count="536">This is the first text</Text> <Text Text_ID="10155645315850165_10155645317025165" From="1626711840908498"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
10 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Executing several commands in a text file

I have a file that has about 3000 commands , listed one below the other. I would like to execute them all in one go. Is there a simpler way to do it - like a batch file processing, than executing one line at a time? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
3 Replies

9. Linux

How to run commands with pipe from text file?

Hello, I have standard loop while read -r info; do command $info done < info in info text file I have multiple commands each on line that I want to execute. When I used them in console they worked, but not with this loop. This is one of the commands in info file: grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adamlevine
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
ppmlabel(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmlabel(1)

NAME
ppmlabel - add text to a portable pixmap SYNOPSIS
ppmlabel [-angle angle] [-background transparent | colour] [-colour colour] [-file filename] [-size textsize] [-text 'text string'] [-x column] [-y row] ... [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
ppmlabel uses the text drawing facilities of ppmdraw to add text to a portable pixmap. The location, size, baseline angle, colour of the text and background colour (if any) are controlled by command line arguments. The text can be specified on the command line or read from files. Any number of separate text strings can be added by one invocation of ppmlabel, limited only by the maximum length of the command line. If no ppmfile is specified, ppmdraw reads its input pixmap from standard input. OPTIONS
The arguments on the ppmlabel command line are not options in the strict sense; they are commands which control the placement and appear- ance of the text being added to the input pixmap. They are executed left to right, and any number of arguments may appear. All flags can be abbreviated to their shortest unique prefix. -angle angle Sets the angle of the baseline of subsequent text. angle is specified as an integral number of degrees, measured counterclock- wise from the row axis of the pixmap. -background transparent | colour If the argument is ``transparent'', text is drawn over the existing pixels in the pixmap. If a colour is given (see the -colour switch below for information on how to specify colours), rectangles enclosing subsequent text are filled with that colour. -colour colour Sets the colour for subsequent text. The colour can be specified in five ways: o A name, assuming that a pointer to an X11-style colour names file was compiled in. o An X11-style hexadecimal specifier: rgb:r/g/b, where r g and b are each 1- to 4-digit hexadecimal numbers. o An X11-style decimal specifier: rgbi:r/g/b, where r g and b are floating point numbers between 0 and 1. o For backwards compatibility, an old-X11-style hexadecimal number: #rgb, #rrggbb, #rrrgggbbb, or #rrrrggggbbbb. o For backwards compatibility, a triplet of numbers separated by commas: r,g,b, where r g and b are floating point numbers between 0 and 1. (This style was added before MIT came up with the similar rgbi style.) -file filename Reads text from the file filename and draws it on successive lines. -size textsize Sets the height of the tallest characters above the baseline to textsize pixels. -text 'text string' Draws the given text string (which must be quoted if it contains spaces). The location for subsequent text is advanced by 1.75 times the current textsize, which allows drawing multiple lines of text in a reasonable manner without specifying the position of each line. -x column Sets the column at which subsequent text will be left justified. Depending on the shape of the first character, the actual text may begin a few pixels to the right of this point. -y row Sets the row which will form the baseline of subsequent text. Characters with descenders, such as ``y'', will extend below this line. BUGS
Text strings are restricted to 7 bit ASCII. The text font used by ppmdraw doesn't include definitions for 8 bit ISO 8859/1 characters. When drawing multiple lines of text with a non-transparent background, it should probably fill the space between the lines with the back- ground colour. This is tricky to get right when the text is rotated to a non-orthogonal angle. SEE ALSO
ppmmake(1), ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1995 by John Walker (kelvin@fourmilab.ch) WWW home page: http://www.fourmilab.ch/ Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, without any conditions or restrictions. This software is provided ``as is'' without express or implied warranty. 14 June 1995 ppmlabel(1)