Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Single Application Operating System Post 302506401 by Corona688 on Sunday 20th of March 2011 03:11:18 PM
Old 03-20-2011
You want to write a UNIX operating system from scratch for this, covering all possible hardware in the "old laptop" spectrum? I'm pretty sure there already are operating systems that run on old laptops, and it's taken decades of continuous effort to get them where it is already. Pretty sure you don't have that kind of time or developer base.

I don't think old laptops are even very GOOD at digital audio. Built-in sound devices are invariably garbage.

Just make a linux distro. You don't want auto-update? You have full control over what you include, rip it out. (And put up with the same program bugs forevermore, but whatever -- you must know what "no updates ever" implies if you asked for it.)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

I need the Unix operating system on disc as im new to unix. Im studying unix and x windows next year at Sheffield University and would like to get a head start. Any suggestions would be appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffersno1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating on a file being written by another application

Hi, I have a directory that is used to store files generated by another application. Each file is huge and can take some time to produce. I am writing a shell script to check the names and dates of the files and do some functions on the ones that are not being written out. My question is, if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

Can anyone give me info on networking features of the Unix Operating System please. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WaveZero
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating System

Which is much more powerful as an operating system: 1. Windows 2000 2. Windows 98 3. Windows XP 4. Windows ME 5. Unix 6. Linux and why is it much more powerful than the other operating systems that i have mentioned. thanks for your info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alecks1975
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System?

Hey all, I currently use FreeBSD and linux and have decided I want to use a proper Unix distrobution. Which Unix distro would you members recommend. The only requirments that I have is that I can use some pogramming utilities available. I don't mind the install process. One more thing, I know some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: -zorin
2 Replies

6. IP Networking

Operating System Programming

I am new in Kernel programming....i want to know how kernel is implemented.To this i have downloaded minix 3 kernel but i do not know where to start my study of kernel programming...please tell me from where to start understanding the code and how to run kernel in windows 7 or red hat. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sajan Gupta
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Best Operating System

Hello All, I want to install Linux on my machine, so please tell me one thing which is the best to install- 1.)Red Hat 2.)Cent OS 3.)Red Hat 4.)Ubuntu 5.)Fedora except that if there is any please tell me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect Operating System

Hi, I need a script that needs to detect the Operating System and based upon wheter it is Linux, Solaris x86, Sparc, Itanium etc it should populate "ps" command with detailed output accordingly for example: ps -xef | grep java -> Itaniumps -auxwww | greap java -> Solaris (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What's my Operating System

Can we know the operating given the IP address or DNS of the host. All I have is file://myserver/myapp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies
appclient(1M)						    Application Server Utility						     appclient(1M)

NAME
appclient - launches the Application Client Container and invokes the client application packaged in the application JAR file SYNOPSIS
appclient -client client_application_jar [-mainclass client_application_main_classname|-name display_name] [-xml sun-acc.xml file] [-tex- tauth] [-user username] [-password password] Use the appclient command to launch the application client container and invoke a client application that is packaged in an application JAR file. The application client jar file is psecified and created during deployment either by the deploytool or by using the asadmin deploy command. The application client container is a set of java classes, libraries and other files that are required to execute a first-tier application client program on a Java Virtual Machine (JVM). The application client container communicates with the Application Server using RMI-IIOP. The client.jar that is retrieved after deploying an application , should be passed with the -client option while running the appclient utility. The -mainclass and -name options are optional for a single client application. For multiple client applications use either the -classname option or the- name option. -client required; the name and location for the client application jar file. The application client JAR file is specified and created during deployment, either by the deploytool or by the asadmin deploy command. -mainclass optional; the full classname of the main client application main() method that will be invoked by the Application Client Container. Used for a single client application. By default, uses the class specified in the client jar. The class name must be the full name. For example, com.sun.test.AppClient -name optional; the display name for the client application. Used for multiple client applications. By default, the dis- play name is specified in the client jar application-client.xml file which is identified by the display-name attribute. -xml optional if using the default domain and instance, otherwise it is required; identifies the name and location of the client configuration XML file. If not specified, defaults to the value of $AS_ACC_CONFIG identified in asenv.conf file. -textauth optional; used to specify using text format authentication when authentication is needed. Example 1: Using the appclient command appclient -client appserv/bin/myclientapp.jar -mainclass com.sun.test.TestAppClient -xml sun-acc.xml scott sample Where: appserv/bin/myclientapp.jar is the full path for the client application .jar file, com.sun.text.TestAppClient is the full Java pack- age name of the main client application, scott and sample are arguments to pass to the application, and sun-acc.xml is the name of the client configuration XML file. If sun-acc.xml is not in the current directory, you must give the absolute path location; otherwise the rel- ative path is used. The relative path is relative to the directory where the command is being executed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ package-appclient(1M), asadmin(1M) Sun Java System Application Server March 2004 appclient(1M)