Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help required for creating script. Post 302506363 by fugitive on Sunday 20th of March 2011 08:51:51 AM
Old 03-20-2011
Help required for creating script.

I want to create a shell script which should be doing following things .. i have the commands but do not know how to tie them up together.

1. . Go to a pre-defined directory and look for a specific pattern txt files like abc12* and select the latest file with abc12*

Code:
ls |awk '{if($NF ~ "fin") {print $NF}}' | sort -r | sed -ne '1p

2. If file exist then put it for further processing in another command

Code:
k="$( cat $i | cut -d"|" -f49 )"

3. Then save the different files with name of o/p you get in the above command

Code:
"${i}" >> "/tmp/outputs/${k}"

4. Then move the file to some different folder and clean up the current directory.

Code:
rm -rf $i

5. Script should exit after processing and removing the file. And if it runs again and didn't find the file then also it should exit.

Any help is appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script help required!

Hi there, i am trying to create a script that checks for the existence of users on the system, if they exist then their details should print on the screen with a message that the id is in use. I am having a bit of trouble with it. Any ideas? Cheers Kev! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kev112
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

plz help me by creating required shell script

Dear all I am new to shell script. And this is my first post to this site as well as this forum. I would like to tell this forum that I require shell script, which is regarding transfers of files from a specific directory in a server A to server B on a specific directory through sftp command.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required in creating a shell script that filters the unwanted pattern

Kindly help, Suppose i am having a file that has got the following contents. Is there any way (eg. sed command) to remove the (*) (*any number) pattern. se.bas tulf.h (1) tuna.c (1) tunsim.c (1) tus.cpp (1) vp.c (1) vp.h (1) vpi. (1) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why root permissions required for creating of RAW Socket

To create RAW socket in Unix/Linux why should one have root permissions? Any other work around to create raw sockets in Unix/Linux using a normal login id? Since I don't have super user credentials and I want to create RAW sockets. Let me know if you are aware of any work around. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilgurwara
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting required fields from a test file in required fromat in unix

My data is something like shown below. date1 date2 aaa bbbb ccccc date3 date4 dddd eeeeeee ffffffffff ggggg hh I want the output like this date1date2 aaa eeeeee I serached in the forum but didn't find the exact matching solution. Please help. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Creating A Solaris Zone - Unable to install - Are network settings required?

Hi i have created a solaris zone but have not yet connected any network cables for this new zone, can i set the zone up without running the command 'add net' and not adding an ip or physical interface? i tried to add dummy internet settings and get this zonecfg:coddr> add net... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbiesolaris10
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a File system with required permissions for all DIR's created in

Hello All, I am application admin. I need to clear all the temporary files cleared by the applications. I need help/suggestion that is there any way to create a file system such that every Dir created in by any user will have 775 permissions. So, that i can simply clear the temporary file which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl Script:how to find how many parameters are required to run the script

How to find how many parameters are required to run a Perl script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in creating a file in required format form another existing file

I have a text file with contents like this: a,b,c, d~e,f,g,h~i,j ,k,l,m~n,o,p,q~ I need to convert this file into this format unix shell script commands: a,b,c,d~ e,f,g,h~ i,j,k,l,m~ n,o,p,q~ as you may have noticed, I need to retain the ~ signs at the end. Any help is greatly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha1238
3 Replies
edinplace(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3						      edinplace(1)

NAME
edinplace - edit a file in place SYNOPSIS
edinplace [--error=code] [[--file=file] command [arg ...]] DESCRIPTION
edinplace runs command with its input from file (or standard input by default), and then replaces the contents of file with the output of command. To the extent possible, edinplace attempts to exit with the same status as command. If edinplace is run on standard input (no --file option), it must inherit a file descriptor 0 that is open for both reading and writing. When processing standard input, if edinplace does not encounter a fatal error, it rewinds its standard input to offset 0 before exiting. Thus, a script can first run edinplace command, then run another filter command such as grep, and the resulting output will be the output of grep on command's output. If no command is specified, edinplace just rewinds its standard input to file offset 0. In this case, it is an error to supply the --file option. Of course, rewinding only works when standard input is a real file (as opposed to a pipe or device). There are two options: --error=code (-x code) Ordinarily, edinplace attempts to exit with the same status as command. However, if edinplace encounters some fatal error (such as being unable to execute command), it will exit with status code. The default value is 1. The range of valid exit codes is 1-255, inclusive. --file=file (-f file) Specifies that file should be edited. Otherwise, edinplace will edit its standard input (which must be opened for both reading and writing). --skipfrom Skip the first line of the file if it starts "From ". If edinplace is run without a command, positions the file offset at the start of the second line of the file. If edinplace is run with a command, then the first line of the file is neither fed to the command, nor overwritten. This option is useful for running edinplace over mail files, which sometimes start with a "From " line specifying the envelope sender of the message. Since "From " is not part of the message header, just a Unix convention, some programs are confused by the presence of that line. Note that if you specify a command, then edinplace resets the file offset to 0 upon exiting, even if the --skipfrom option was present. EXAMPLES
The following command prepends the string "ORIGINAL: " to the beginning of each line in text file message: edinplace -f message sed -e 's/^/ORIGINAL: /' The following command runs the spamassassin mail filter program on a mail message stored in file message, replacing the contents of message with spamassassin's annotated output, and exiting with code 100 if spamassassin thinks the message is spam. If edinplace encounters any fatal errors, it will exit with code 111. edinplace -x 111 -f message spamassassin -e 100 (spamassassin reads a mail message on standard input and outputs an annotated copy of the message including information about whether or not the message is likely to be spam and why. The -e option to spamassassin specifies what exit status spamassassin should use if the message appears to be spam; edinplace will use the same exit code as the program it has run.) To run spamassassin on incoming mail before accepting the mail from the remote client, place the following line in an appropriate Mail Avenger rcpt file as the last command executed: bodytest edinplace -x 111 spamassassin -e 100 SEE ALSO
avenger(1) The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
edinplace does not make a copy of the file being edited, but rather overwrites the file as it is being processed. At any point where command has produced more output than it has consumed input from the file, edinplace buffers the difference in memory. Thus, a command that outputs large amounts of data before reading the input file can run edinplace out of memory. (A program that outputs data as it reads even a very large file should be fine, however.) If command crashes or malfunctions for any reason, you will likely lose the input file, since edinplace will view this as a program that simply outputs the empty file. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 edinplace(1)