Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with the shell script for understanding Post 302505974 by nixhead on Friday 18th of March 2011 06:29:05 AM
Old 03-18-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by birei
Hi,

I don't understand what do you mean.

First line assigns parameters to a variable and the sed command substitutes all characters found until last '\' with nothing (deletes it). In case of none '\' found, doesn't make any modification to the string.

Regards,
Birei
Hi you solved my query a long time back but I have a problem here the given script is doing action like this on a sample like:
/var/opt/ericsson/resolution/HPSC/xml/outputxml/Citrix_(3).jpg
to
Citrix_(3).jpg
which shouldn't be its execution.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

having problem in understanding namei module

can anyone give me some idea on unix filesystem namei's algorithsm (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kangc
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep understanding problem

Hi, Can anyone please let me know the meaning of this line,i am not able to understand the egrep part(egrep '^{1,2}).This will search for this combination in beginning but what does the values in {}signifies here. /bin/echo $WhenToRun | egrep '^{1,2}:$' >/dev/null (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding a Simple Shell Script

#! /usr/bin/ksh old=$1 new=$2 for file in *.$old ; do mv $file ${file%$old}$new done exit 0 This script i got from the forum. script changes the extension of the files say example a.txt to a.doc b.txt to b.doc c.txt to c.doc d.txt to d.doc this scipt works fine but i am not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijays3
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding a Shell Script

Hi Guys, I am absolutely a newbie to Solaris 8.0. Following is a piece of code in a script (/bin/sh). Can anybody help me in deciphering this ? Please see my questions after the script code - _____________________________________________________ /bin/rm -f mycron crontab -l | grep -v... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script behavior is strange or I'm not understanding

Hi I have wrote the small script, where $SRC=$HOME the input file is simple text file having directories in my $SRC on pre line desktop download myfiles games #!/bin/bash FILENAME=$1 ERROR_LOG="$SRC/err.$$.log" while read line do echo "########## strat Gmake $line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: the.reverser
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem understanding Paths

If I don't explain my issue well enough, I apologize ahead of time, extreme newbie here to scripting. I'm currently learning scripting from books and have moved on to the text Wicked Cool Shell Scripts by Dave Taylor, but there are still basic concepts that I'm having trouble understanding. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chasman78
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in understanding export uses

i am beginner in shell scripting. not able to understand what below line will do. PS1=${HOST:=Žuname -nŽ}"$ " ; export PS1 HOST below is the script #!/bin/hash PS1=${HOST:=Žuname -nŽ}"$ " ; export PS1 HOST ; echo $PS1 and i getting the below output Žuname -nŽ$ (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
25 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem on understanding the regexp command

Hi all, I'm not clear of this regexp command: regexp {(\S+)\/+$} $String match GetString From my observation and testing, if $String is abc/def/gh $GetString will be abc/def I don't understand how the /gh in $String got eliminated. Please help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mar85
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in understanding debugging

Hi i was going through the script debugging technique. below example was given in the book. 1 #!/bin/sh 2 3 Failed() { 4 if ; then 5 echo "Failed. Exiting." ; exit 1 ; 6 fi 7 echo "Done." 8 } 9 10 echo "Deleting old backups,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with (Understanding) function

I have this code #!/bin/bash LZ () { RETVAL="\n$(date +%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S) --- " return RETVAL } echo -e $LZ"Test" sleep 3 echo -e $LZ"Test" which I want to use to make logentrys on my NAS. I expect of this code that there would be output like 2017-03-07_11-00-00 --- Test (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrois
4 Replies
WRJPGCOM(1)						      General Commands Manual						       WRJPGCOM(1)

NAME
wrjpgcom - insert text comments into a JPEG file SYNOPSIS
wrjpgcom [ -replace ] [ -comment text ] [ -cfile name ] [ filename ] DESCRIPTION
wrjpgcom reads the named JPEG/JFIF file, or the standard input if no file is named, and generates a new JPEG/JFIF file on standard output. A comment block is added to the file. The JPEG standard allows "comment" (COM) blocks to occur within a JPEG file. Although the standard doesn't actually define what COM blocks are for, they are widely used to hold user-supplied text strings. This lets you add annotations, titles, index terms, etc to your JPEG files, and later retrieve them as text. COM blocks do not interfere with the image stored in the JPEG file. The maximum size of a COM block is 64K, but you can have as many of them as you like in one JPEG file. wrjpgcom adds a COM block, containing text you provide, to a JPEG file. Ordinarily, the COM block is added after any existing COM blocks; but you can delete the old COM blocks if you wish. OPTIONS
Switch names may be abbreviated, and are not case sensitive. -replace Delete any existing COM blocks from the file. -comment text Supply text for new COM block on command line. -cfile name Read text for new COM block from named file. If you have only one line of comment text to add, you can provide it on the command line with -comment. The comment text must be sur- rounded with quotes so that it is treated as a single argument. Longer comments can be read from a text file. If you give neither -comment nor -cfile, then wrjpgcom will read the comment text from standard input. (In this case an input image file name MUST be supplied, so that the source JPEG file comes from somewhere else.) You can enter multiple lines, up to 64KB worth. Type an end-of-file indicator (usually control-D) to terminate the comment text entry. wrjpgcom will not add a COM block if the provided comment string is empty. Therefore -replace -comment "" can be used to delete all COM blocks from a file. EXAMPLES
Add a short comment to in.jpg, producing out.jpg: wrjpgcom -c "View of my back yard" in.jpg > out.jpg Attach a long comment previously stored in comment.txt: wrjpgcom in.jpg < comment.txt > out.jpg or equivalently wrjpgcom -cfile comment.txt < in.jpg > out.jpg SEE ALSO
cjpeg(1), djpeg(1), jpegtran(1), rdjpgcom(1) AUTHOR
Independent JPEG Group 15 June 1995 WRJPGCOM(1)