Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to automate adduser on FreeBSD? Post 302505675 by DGPickett on Thursday 17th of March 2011 02:39:38 PM
Old 03-17-2011
It is more how to authenticae securely and then make a good firewall against abuse, limiting what can happen, to how many, how often. Once the message gets throught these architectural walls, you do what it asks whatever way is convenient for you, as speed/volume is not a concern, probably a script with adduser plus any additional goodies you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

question related to command "adduser"

Hello.. I dont know if i can ask this question in this session..if wrong please correct me.. This is my question.. When iam creating a user with command " adduser xxx" Where are the changes happening.. I know in /etc/passwd , /etc/shadow... in /home Is there any i missed.. please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esham
1 Replies

2. Programming

adduser

Hi, Let me know any urls where i can get the source code for "adduser" program.. Please help.. esham (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esham
1 Replies

3. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for nessus-adduser

I took a stab at writing a script to automate the interactive process of adding users to Nessus - I have zero previous coding experience. So far, it doesn't get me anywhere. I took small sections of code from posts I found on this site and others:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nolamiami
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

exec a build command (adduser) in a script

Hi, With a awk script i create a "adduser line" $ cat /tmp/tmp.ldif | awk -f ldif2adduser.awk adduser --uid 1002 --gid 1000 --gecos "ROUSSIN Guy" --home /homeL/guy --shell /bin/bash --disabled-password guy If i cut and paste this line, all is fine. But in a shell script i get errors : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guyr
2 Replies

6. SuSE

automate ispell

Hello!! Is posible to automate ispell?? I have a lot of misspelled text and I want to launch a script that runs ispell choosing for example the first option, all that automatically. Is possible?? Thanks :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elblo
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Adduser -> Access denied

hi, I have a problem with any user i created on a linux server RH. With the user root i did: adduser toto passwd toto (to give it a password - message : "all authentication tokens updated successfully") I can do a "su - toto", but when I try to connect it directly by ssh i have the message... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Castelior
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 adduser

Brain teaser, I was given the task below. I believe the consultant runs software on his laptop that probes our QA tier web servers for xxx The two web servers are xxx I attempt useradd command on XXX which seems to work, but when I attempt to assign a pwd, the OS denies it and says user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yellow_mustard
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adduser or useradd

I am just wondering why there are two similar commands for creating a user. Could you please point me when I should choose adduser and when useradd? This puzzles me a little. Thanks, Panos (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zeldforged
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adduser

hi, when i want to "adduser newuser" i receved this warning : event type "audit_buf" is a fixed event and may not be manipulated help me please (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rezasadeghi
2 Replies
userdel(8)						      System Manager's Manual							userdel(8)

NAME
userdel - Deletes a user login account from the system. SYNOPSIS
SVE: /usr/sbin/userdel [-r] login POSIX: /usr/sbin/userdel [-D] [-r] [-R] [-t type] [-P] [-x extended_option] login OPTIONS
This option is used under enhanced security to delete the user account from /etc/passwd file and the enhanced security protected passwd DB. Removes a user's home directory from the system. This directory must exist and must be owned by the user whose login account is being deleted. When enhanced security is enabled, retires the account without deleting entries from the databases or removing home directories. Removes a local plus (+) or local minus (-) NIS user from the user database. The value of the type parameter can be + or -. Removes PC accounts only, without deleting the user's existing UNIX account. The following extended_option attributes are available: Indicates whether the account is distributed. The value of the distributed=n attribute can be 0 or 1. If set to 0, the account is deleted from the local database. If set to 1, the account is deleted from the NIS master database on the running system. When this attribute is set, the local attribute is set to the opposite value. Indicates whether or not the account is local. The value of the local=n attribute can be 0 or 1. If set to 1, the account is deleted from the local database. If set to 0, the account information is deleted from the NIS master database. When this attribute is set, the distributed attribute is set to the opposite value. The value of the pc_synchronize=n attribute can be 0 or 1. If set to 1, both PC and UNIX accounts will be affected by delete operations. If set to 0, only UNIX accounts will be affected by delete operations and the PC account will be unaffected. Specifies an existing login account on the system. DESCRIPTION
The userdel command is part of a set of command-line interfaces (CLI) that are used to create and administer user accounts on the system. When The Advanced Server for UNIX (ASDU) is installed and running, the userdel command can also be used to administer PC accounts. Accounts can also be administered with the /usr/bin/X11/dxaccounts graphical user interface (GUI), although the extended options are only available from the CLI utilities such as useradd and usermod. Different options are available depending on how the local system is configured: In the default UNIX environment, user account management is compliant with the IEEE POSIX Draft P13873.3 standard. If enhanced (C2) security is configured, additional options and extended options can be used. The CLI is backwards-compatible, so all existing local scripts will function. However, you should consider testing your account management scripts before using them. The userdel command deletes a user's login account from the system and makes the login-related changes in the appropriate system files determined by the current level of security. Additionally, the files and directories contained under the user's home directory can be removed from the system. With the -x option, the system administrator can specify whether the user login account to be deleted is local or whether it resides in the NIS master database. If the -x option is not specified, the user login account is deleted from the appropriate database as specified by the system defaults. The default behavior on the system for the userdel command is distributed=0 and local=1. With these values, the system deletes the group from the local database by default. Setting the distributed= and local= attributes to the same value (for example, distributed=0 and local=0) produces an error. RESTRICTIONS
Note the following restriction that applies to this release: You must have superuser privilege to execute this command EXIT STATUS
The userdel command exits with one of the following values: Success. Failure. Warning. EXAMPLES
The following example removes the local plus (+) user, newuser1: % userdel -t + newuser1 The following example removes the NIS user, newuser4, from the NIS master database: % userdel -x distributed=1 newuser4 The following example deletes the user, xyz, and removes the user's home directory: % userdel -r xyz The following example deletes the UNIX account for studentB, removing the home directory and its corresponding PC account. % userdel -r -x pc_synchronize=1 studentB FILES
The userdel command operates on files for the specific level of system security. SEE ALSO
Commands: groupadd(8), groupdel(8), groupmod(8), useradd(8), usermod(8), passwd(1), Manuals: System Administration, Security, Advanced Server for UNIX Installation and Administration userdel(8)