Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bourne Script, sorting and getting average of file Post 302505638 by DualPandas on Thursday 17th of March 2011 01:18:53 PM
Old 03-17-2011
Bourne Script, sorting and getting average of file

Hi I am trying to get a bourne shell script to sort a file for me. Here is what i currently have:
Code:
#/bin/sh
echo "Name   Exam1   Exam2   Exam3  Total  Grade" > final.txt
awk -f 9.awk grades.txt | sort +4 -5 >> final.txt

Code:
#BEGIN {printf "Name\tExam1\tExam2\tExam3\tTotal\tGrade";}
{
        if($2+$3+$4>90) {printf "%s\t%d\tA\n",$0,$4+$2+$3;}
        else
                if(($2+$3+$4>=80)&&($2+$3+$4<90)) {printf "%s\t%d\tB\n",$0,$2+$3+$4;}
                else
                if(($2+$3+$4>=70)&&($2+$3+$4<80)) {printf "%s\t%d\tC\n",$0,$2+$3+$4;}
                        else
                if(($2+$3+$4>=50)&&($2+$3+$4<70)) {printf "%s\t%d\tD\n",$0,$2+$3+$4;}
                  else {printf "%s\t%d\tF\n",$0,$2+$3+$4;}
}

This is what I want it to look like when done:
Code:
Name Exam1 Exam2 Exam3 Total Average Grade
Brian   38   38   40   116   96   A
Jack    30   35   38   103   85   B
Lisa    30   28   32   90    75   C
Nick    33   30   15   78    65   C
Jane    31   25   19   75    62   D
Tom     23   12   30   65    54   D
Karen   25   28   12   65    54   D

and this is what it looks like right now:
Code:
Name   Exam1   Exam2   Exam3  Total  Average  Grade
Name	Exam1	Exam2	Exam3	0	F
Jack	30	35	38	103	A
Brian	38	38	40	116	A
Karen	25	28	12	65	D
Tom	23	12	30	65	D
Jane	31	25	19	75	C
Nick	33	30	15	78	C
Lisa	30	28	32	90	F

right now it is sorting on the total column. which is wrong,I know I need to have it sort on the average column, however I cant get it to display an average. How do i get it to calculate the average? Also I have the extra line of Name Exam1.. etc that I cant get rid of.

Any help would be much appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bourne shell script need help please ?

i have this assignment.. and i mad this script but there is something wrong with it.. if anyone can tell me.. watz going on... i would appreciate it.. tHnX in advance.. count=1 val=$2 op=$1 ans=0 if then if then while do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dezithug
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple bourne script

Hello There, I am trying to write this SIMPLE script in Bourne Shell but I keep on getting a blank response. Can you see what I am doing wrong? I am simply trying to take the day of the week from our system and when the teachers sign on I want them to see the message of the day, when they exe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: catbad
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bourne script help

I need to make a small script that figures out if a filename that the user enters is a file or a directory. and if it is a directory, how many files are in it. please point me to the right direction, I am a newbie at this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Heedunk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Script help

Hey guys, I am trying to do a bourne script to look for c files in the current directory. I had it working where it finds the files and asks you to delete them or not, which works, but if there i no files, then it comes up with errors, which iam trying to get rid of. So I thought I would do a if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pits
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with bourne script

Hey guys not sure why but when i execute the script i get the correct result but then it says command not found not sure why can anyone see anything wrong with my code below? I just want to print how much quota i have used in my home directory #!bin/sh `quota -v | grep ^/home | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: musicmancanora4
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate average from CSV file using PERL script

Hi All I have this csv file and I need to calculate the average of FPS. FPS:27.7420, Interval:1314184238772 FPS:25.9798, Interval:1314184242646 FPS:27.4772, Interval:1314184246311 FPS:26.1623, Interval:1314184250159 FPS:26.4515, Interval:1314184253972 FPS:31.5896, Interval:1314184257163... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayachop
24 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open a file from within a Bourne shell Script

I am suppose to make a program that cuts the extension off of a file. It uses that .ext to decide which program needs to be used to open the file. This only finds the name of the program from a list of programs I made. My problem is when it has the name of the program it needs to use, how can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dordrix
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk based script to find the average of all the columns in a data file

Hi All, I need the modification for the below mentioned code (found in one more post https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/27161-script-generate-average-values.html) to find the average values for all the columns(but for a specific rows) and print the averages side by side. I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to load daily average I/O stats from a .ksh file into Oracle db

Hi can anyone help me with a script to load output of the .ksh file into an Oracle database. I have attached sample output of the information that i need to load to the database (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LucyYani
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed: script for timely average from log file

Please repost your query: Help needed: script for timely average from log file - Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkfs
0 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)