Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command to clear logs for every 6 hours in solaris Post 302505438 by rdcwayx on Thursday 17th of March 2011 01:30:13 AM
Old 03-17-2011
with GNU date:

Code:
touch -t `gdate -d "-6 hours" "+%Y%m%d%M%S"`  dummy
find /home/Logdir -type f -name "*.log" ! -newer dummy -ls

if you'd like to remove directly, no need for loop.

Code:
find /home/Logdir -type f -name "*.log" ! -newer dummy -exec rm {} \;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Clear logs in unix sco 5.0.4

hi my name es juan i have sco open server 5.0.4 release i need clear the log files as wtmp thanks you very much (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtapia
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete logs every 3 hours

Hi, I want to setup a cronjob that will delete logs every 2 hours. I have script that delete logs per day. but logging is too big and i want to run a conjob that will delete every 2 hours. this is my current command but it deletes on a per day basis. find . -name "*.log*" -o -name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command not clear

hi, i have an unix command which is as follows: ctmfw /work/CDFC/landing/ZORC.txt CREATE 0 60 1 10 240 I think a txt file called ZORC gets created in the mentioned directory, i am not sure what 0 60 1 10 240 is. Is my understanding correct and also let me know what those numbers denote?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eljcmscrlk
4 Replies

4. Solaris

how to clear command history

hi Any one can help me. I am using Sun_Solaris. The command history set to 100 at .cshrc. I am unable to clear the command histoy. In Linux it is very easy by giving command history -c I could not find any such type command to clear the history. Is there any such type of command for solaris.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabir
3 Replies

5. Solaris

How to clear STATE - uninitialized in solaris 10

Helloo Frd's, How to clear uninitialized state in solaris 10 Services, the fallowing inetadm shows on my server. I tried svcadm clear, enable... not worked. And also i can't change to enable some of service on that. sara4@root# inetadm ENABLED STATE FMRI disabled ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu548
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 patching - 14 hours!!!

Hi, we have a problem recently with Sun Fire T200 server, when installing 10_SPARC_EIS-Jul09 patchbundle resulted for 14 hours of outage! Steps, that was done by me is pretty straightforward: reboot -- -s ./installcluster --s10cluster Then I made 1 reboot after kernel patch was installed... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: masloff
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clear history logs of all terminal sessions

Hi, I would normally clear off the history entries from a terminal by using the following commands: > ~/.bash_history history -c But this will remove the entries of that particular session only. How to prune all the entries of all login sessions for a particular user in a system? N.B:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve logs for last 4 hours

Our log file looks like this: 2010-11-18 00:57:01,698 ERROR Shipment Error Log:Error Details - Account Id:3962, PO:2710015, Line:2, File:221112901, Version:V1, Desc:Order cannot not be shipped as there are no line items in New state 2010-11-18 14:59:39,960 ERROR... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepthz
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve logs for previous 4 hours

Hi, I am in the process of configuring a script, and i intend it to retrieve logs for previous four hours, and then scan for predefined errors. I am kind of stuck on the log retrieval part where the script will run early morning like 1 AM or 2 AM, the command as posted below will give me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

clear command issue

I need to clear the screen after each iteration but i cannot place clear where it needs to go to do that. I just keep clearing the screen before i can even see the choice I make. HWfile=~/home/daftdave/HW2 loop=y while do tput cup 2 15 ; echo "File Menu List" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noob
1 Replies
ROTATELOGS(8)							    rotatelogs							     ROTATELOGS(8)

NAME
rotatelogs - Piped logging program to rotate Apache logs SYNOPSIS
rotatelogs [ -l ] [ -f ] logfile rotationtime|filesizeM [ offset ] SUMMARY
rotatelogs is a simple program for use in conjunction with Apache's piped logfile feature. It supports rotation based on a time interval or maximum size of the log. OPTIONS
-l Causes the use of local time rather than GMT as the base for the interval or for strftime(3) formatting with size-based rotation. Note that using -l in an environment which changes the GMT offset (such as for BST or DST) can lead to unpredictable results! -f Causes the logfile to be opened immediately, as soon as rotatelogs starts, instead of waiting for the first logfile entry to be read (for non-busy sites, there may be a substantial delay between when the server is started and when the first request is handled, meaning that the associated logfile does not "exist" until then, which causes problems from some automated logging tools). Available in version 2.2.9 and later. logfile rotationtime The time between log file rotations in seconds. The rotation occurs at the beginning of this interval. For example, if the rotation time is 3600, the log file will be rotated at the beginning of every hour; if the rotation time is 86400, the log file will be rotated every night at midnight. (If no data is logged during an interval, no file will be created.) filesizeM The maximum file size in megabytes followed by the letter M to specify size rather than time. offset The number of minutes offset from UTC. If omitted, zero is assumed and UTC is used. For example, to use local time in the zone UTC -5 hours, specify a value of -300 for this argument. In most cases, -l should be used instead of specifying an offset. EXAMPLES
CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.nnnn where nnnn is the system time at which the log nominally starts (this time will always be a multiple of the rotation time, so you can synchronize cron scripts with it). At the end of each rotation time (here after 24 hours) a new log is started. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs -l /var/logs/logfile.%Y.%m.%d 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.yyyy.mm.dd where yyyy is the year, mm is the month, and dd is the day of the month. Logging will switch to a new file every day at midnight, local time. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 5M" common This configuration will rotate the logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes. ErrorLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/errorlog.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S 5M" This configuration will rotate the error logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes, and the suffix to the logfile name will be cre- ated of the form errorlog.YYYY-mm-dd-HH_MM_SS. PORTABILITY
The following logfile format string substitutions should be supported by all strftime(3) implementations, see the strftime(3) man page for library-specific extensions. o %A - full weekday name (localized) o %a - 3-character weekday name (localized) o %B - full month name (localized) o %b - 3-character month name (localized) o %c - date and time (localized) o %d - 2-digit day of month o %H - 2-digit hour (24 hour clock) o %I - 2-digit hour (12 hour clock) o %j - 3-digit day of year o %M - 2-digit minute o %m - 2-digit month o %p - am/pm of 12 hour clock (localized) o %S - 2-digit second o %U - 2-digit week of year (Sunday first day of week) o %W - 2-digit week of year (Monday first day of week) o %w - 1-digit weekday (Sunday first day of week) o %X - time (localized) o %x - date (localized) o %Y - 4-digit year o %y - 2-digit year o %Z - time zone name o %% - literal `%' Apache HTTP Server 2010-11-06 ROTATELOGS(8)