Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 10 Terminal Error
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 Terminal Error Post 302505404 by paz9 on Wednesday 16th of March 2011 10:33:50 PM
Old 03-16-2011
Hammer & Screwdriver I never could stop sendmail

I've had similar problems jastanle84 and I don't even need sendmail. But I never could seem to get rid of it, even disabling the service did not help.
What can get rid of the error message though is modifying your /etc/hosts file.
Remember, each host can have several aliases. They are just listed on the same line, like this:

w.x.y.z myhost mycrazyhost mywackyhost

(Of course the w-z are replaced by numbers. That is your IP address.) "So what?" you say? Big deal, I can use several names for the same machine. Uh-huh it is a big deal if you want to get rid of this error message. The "domain name" it is looking for is anything after the host name and a dot, so you can do something like this:
111.222.333.444 myhost myhost.quiet

That's all there is to it. Oh, you might have to stop/restart sendmail or even the inet daemon (or reboot if you can). I forget, but I think you might not have to do this. Try it and let everyone know.Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to paz9 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris Sparc5 and connecting with a PC via Hyper terminal

I am trying to connect to a sparc5 with my PC via a null modem cable from serial port to serial port. I do not have a sun monitor so I am trying to use my PC. I am unsuccessful in even making the basic connection to the sparc box. Any ideas on how to work around this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrian
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal settings on solaris

I am getting the following error when try to use vi vt100: Unknown terminal type Visual needs addressable cursor or upline capability : I have checked the TERM variable which is set to vt100. What could be the problem. This is on solaris 2.8 and i am doing telnet. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sssow
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Terminal settings from linux to solaris

When I log in from my linux workstation (CentOS4) to a solaris 8 server using SSH or telnet, the terminal settings don't seem to work well. When I tail or vi a file, I get a blank screen or no response, and I am no longer able to interact with the session. I have to type the escape sequence to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to switch between terminal screens in Sun Solaris 10

:) Hi everybody.. This is my firt post in this great forum.: I have installed Sun Solaris 10 on an Intel machine.. Now i login in CDE desktop as root. I want to switch between terminal screens pressing CTRL+ALT F1 (through F6) but nothing happens ?? any suggestions thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read lock terminal values in solaris

Hi all I am using sun solaris 5.8. I wanna know where the value stored if we lock/unlock the terminal and how i can read and use it to my script. I am helpless . So plzzzzzz... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajarora_12
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Terminal Type For Installation of Solaris 10

The answer to my problem might be to get a Sun console but I thought I would run it by the experts here first. I have been trying to install Sun Solaris on a SunFire V445 using an HPconsole (just happens to be all I have at my disposal at the moment) and no network connection yet. When I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
1 Replies

7. Solaris

solaris terminal sessions terminated and also nohup jobs

Admins, We have a strange problem on our solaris zones. We have four zones on a Global server (Sun-Fire-V890; Solaris 10 Update 6) and the SSH sessions to all four zones are terminated at a specific time (11:10 PM) every night. The SSH session to the global server is not terminated. Also, any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yogijp
1 Replies

8. Solaris

slow response on solaris terminal

Solaris terminal responding very slow .. we have recently put a T3 hardware in to production , the applications running are it are perfectly and no complaints from user ..but when i ssh to the server ... the terminal response is very very slow .. it takes 3 seconds to show the character i type ..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error with Terminal

Hello All :), I am a newbie in shell scripting and Linux. Here's a problem I'm facing since last few days. Please tell me some logical reason behind this. Thanks in advance. To run my script I need to define some environment variables and need to run a TODO file. In the first go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manands07
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal emulation OSX Vs. Solaris 11

I am using Terminal on an OSX system to access and edit crontab files on a 'headless' Solaris 11 server. Crontab -e on OSX invokes vi as the editor, which is fine, but I am getting unexpected characters on keystrokes and have to abort the edit. If this is an emulation issue, would someone please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmokeyJoe
1 Replies
suninstall(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    suninstall(1M)

NAME
suninstall - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
suninstall DESCRIPTION
install-solaris(1M) is now the preferred command for starting and restarting the Solaris Installation program. It should be used instead of suninstall. suninstall is symbolically linked to install-solaris. suninstall is a forms-based and graphical subsystem for installing the operating system. suninstall exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should only be invoked from there. Refer to the Solaris 10 Instal- lation Guide: Basic Installations for more details. suninstall allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. suninstall loads the software available on the installa- tion media. Refer to the Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations for disk space requirements. USAGE
Refer to the Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations for more information on the various menus and selections. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pkginfo(1), install(1M), install-solaris(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations NOTES
It is advisable to exit suninstall by means of the exit options in the suninstall menus. SunOS 5.10 9 Sep 2004 suninstall(1M)