Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help needed for nohup time
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help needed for nohup time Post 302505090 by saswati16 on Wednesday 16th of March 2011 08:27:05 AM
Old 03-16-2011
Question Help needed for nohup time

Hi All,
Firstly thanks for reading my query..I am a complete newbie in Unix and I recently read about nohup command which is responsible to continue execution in background. But I have found some command where time is used alongwith nohup as given below:-

nohup time A.sh &

I don't know why that time option is given? Can you please give me a reply about using that time option alongwith nohup??

Thanks in Advance,
Saswati

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DiffElapsed time between unix timestamps help needed...

Does anyone know a perl script/utility/etc. to calculate the time in seconds between two unix time stamps? Any help will be appreciated. -bozzhawg (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bozzhawg
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

urgent help needed!!in copying files to /tmp at boot time,pls help!

Hi all, I am trying to boot a an OS from RAM...(its a opensolaris based distro) For this i have picked up 2 key lib files that when copied to /tmp and mounted to respective places will do the job.. The sizes of these files combined comes upto 600mb.(i have 2gb ram) Now i have also located the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Time Zone Change Needed

Need help with a timezone change for my user profile on HPUX, from UTC to PDT8PST pgop:/home/pgop > date Thu Sep 25 15:09:50 UTC 2008 to Thu Sep 25 08:12:44 PDT 2008 Tried looking through manuals for date over this to no luck!! :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgop
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run process with nohup every certain time

Hi, I need execute a script every 30 minutes. As might be done without using cron Thx. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pepeli30
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advice needed on using Script with NOHUP

All, I would like to know my below requirement can be achieved in any way in Shell Scripting? I will make this requirement of mine as understandable as I can. Requirement: I wrote a script 'my.script' which gets user-input tablenames and puts the same into an array. Also I get other inputs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

nohup output on screen for some time

Hi, I'm executing a binary with nohup in a menu(shellscript) and output is going to nohup.out fine. I need few lines of nohup.out should be displayed on screen so that I will come to know the process is successfully started and continue with other options in my menu. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with elapsed time from text values

I'm extracting two time & date values from a log file, and I need a way to calculate the elapsed time between the two. The values are in this format: Feb 12 10:53:15 Feb 12 10:59:57 The difference is 6 minutes and 42 seconds Does anyone know if there is a way to do this? I've seen lots of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterv6
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nohup in conjunction with time

hi, if I exectute "nohup time ls -1" I get the following output $ nohup time ls -1 file_1 file_2 file_3 file_4 file_5 0.000u 0.001s 0:00.00 0.0% 0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w This is all OK. But if I want to capture this whole output in to a text file I would want to use something like ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BearCheese
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving nohup output to a file other than nohup.out

Shell : bash OS : Oracle Linux 6.4 I want to save the ouput of a nohup command to file other than nohup.out . Below are my 3 attempts. For both Attempt1 and Attempt2 , the redirection logs the output correctly to the output file. But I get the error "ignoring input and redirecting stderr to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nohup apending data each time i run script

I have a problem here. i am running my script in nohup but if i run it 2 or three time , in my output i see it is giving me old data as well, in-spite i delete nohup.out file. i tried to look a lot from where the old data is coming. can some one tell me how the old data is also coming again and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
11 Replies
NOHUP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup -- invoke a utility immune to hangups SYNOPSIS
nohup [--] utility [arguments] DESCRIPTION
The nohup utility invokes utility with its arguments and at this time sets the signal SIGHUP to be ignored. If the standard output is a ter- minal, the standard output is appended to the file nohup.out in the current directory. If standard error is a terminal, it is directed to the same place as the standard output. Some shells may provide a builtin nohup command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. ENVIRONMENT
The following variables are utilized by nohup: HOME If the output file nohup.out cannot be created in the current directory, the nohup utility uses the directory named by HOME to create the file. PATH Used to locate the requested utility if the name contains no '/' characters. EXIT STATUS
The nohup utility exits with one of the following values: 126 The utility was found, but could not be invoked. 127 The utility could not be found or an error occurred in nohup. Otherwise, the exit status of nohup will be that of utility. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), signal(3) STANDARDS
The nohup utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BUGS
Two or more instances of nohup can append to the same file, which makes for a confusing output. BSD
July 19, 2001 BSD