Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TCPdump script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting TCPdump script Post 302504922 by Nasasdge on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 06:59:44 PM
Old 03-15-2011
Thanks for all the feed back. I will need to look into using cron, not some thing i have used before but I understand the idea. I was thinking that i could use that for timing, thank you for the cron lines.
0,15,30,45 8-16 * * * tcpd_cron.ksh
As for the date, I dont need the date. These files will be downloaded at the end of each work day.
My original plan was to just start the cron job at the beginning of the day and stop it at end of the work day. Then download all the data off the server to save space. This way I can maintain a log of all the calls.

My biggest worry is that the VoIP server might be a little taxed from the ongoing processes running. I don't have a test server I can use at the moment but Im working on building one.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How To Use tcpdump

I have two net-card. one is 172.16.24.99(ENG) ,another is 172.16.25.99(ENG-B). Both masks is 255.255.255.0. I will monitor data on the tcp port 8055 in ENG, How do I set option of tcpdump command (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tcpdump

does anybody know what the -d -dd and -ddd options are used for ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ant04
2 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

i would like to know about tcpdump

i would like to know about tcpdump i would like to use tcpdump to get information about these - Date - time - source hostname - source mac address - source ip address - destination ip address - see outbound only then i use command like this tcpdump -i le0 -n -q -tttt -e src net... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chamnanpol
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

i would like to know about tcpdump

i would like to know about tcpdump i would like to use tcpdump to get information about these - Date - time - source hostname - source mac address - source ip address - destination ip address - see outbound only then i use command like this tcpdump -i le0 -n -q -tttt -e src net... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chamnanpol
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script, trying to get tcpdump and rotate the file every 300 seconds

Greetings, I just started using scripting languages, im trying to get a tcpdump in a file, change the file name every 5mins ... this is what i have but its not working ... any suggestions? #!/bin/bash # timeout.sh #timestamp format TIMESTAMP=`date -u "+%Y%m%dT%H%M%S"` #tdump =`tcpdump... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

write a script to parse some tcpdump output

i am trying to write a script to parse some tcpdump output, in each line of the tcpdump output, I know for sure there are 3 keywords exist: User{different usernamehere} NAS_ipaddr{different ip here} Calling_station{ip or dns name here} But the positions for these 3 keywords in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcpdump script to parse "packers captured" details

I want a script that would do as:- a) gives me packet capture account for each time it runs. b) be able to run at a particular time for specific period time duration (1 min). c) for each time it runs it saves the time / day. Is there a way where i can capture the details as seen in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazerz
2 Replies

8. Debian

Tcpdump Help !

Hi. Need Help with TcpDump Trying to sniff associatio-request with tcpdump but when i run this tcpdump -i eth0 wlan subtype assoc-req i get this error can anyone help me with this error ? Thanks alot !!:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SoulZB
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

TCPdump

I've recently started learning to use TCPdump, and I find it pretty interesting. There's one thing I don't understand. When I tell it to capture packets on, say, the WiFi interface en1, it often captures packets sent or received by other hosts on the network. How can it do this? My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultrix
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcpdump on many machines from single script

Hi all, new to the forum and rusty with my scripting. I am trying to put together a quick and dirty script that will kickoff a tcpdump on multiple machines. Then, another script that will reach out (at a later time) to stop the processes and retrieve the data. It seems fairly easy conceptually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: k9sar
2 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD