Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Changing Text with sed or awk Post 302504891 by hal8000 on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 05:15:00 PM
Old 03-15-2011
Thank you very much, script works perfectly, will read up on capture element \1 using sed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing text with sed?

Hi everyone, Having trouble with sed. I searched the board and found some stuff, but still unclear. I have a file named "userfile" which stores the users info in this form: email:username:password: I want the user to be able to change their password. i tried with sed s/oldpass/newpass/g... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

text processing ( sed/awk)

hi.. I have a file having record on in 1 line.... I want every 400 characters in a new line... means in 1st line 1-400 in 2nd line - 401-800 etc pl help. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: clx
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

text transformation with sed or awk

Hi there, I'm trying to extract automatically opening hours from a website. The page displaying the schedules is http://www.natureetdecouvertes.com/pages/gener/view_FO_STORE_corgen.asp?mag_cod=xxx with xxx going from 101 to 174 I managed to get the following output : le lundi de 10.30 à... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to parse this text

I am just beginning with sed and awk and understand that they are "per" line input. That is, they operate on each line individually, and output based on rules, etc. But I have multi-line text blocks that looks as follows, and wish to ONLY extract the text between the first hyphen (-) and the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: bulgin
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing files content with sed or awk

Hi, Example File: (jumped, bumped, ) how to jumped, FROM tree; EXIT I have some hundreads of files like this with the different words and I want to remove the comma before the bracket and also I have to remove the comma before FROM word. I am trying to use this command : awk '... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajshashi
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk changing values

Can somebody help me out and provide me with a SED or AWK solution that converts TO_DATE CLAUSE -> TIMESTAMP I need to keep the PARTION value (HISTORY_20110417) and DATE/TIME value (2011-04-18 00:00:00) the same for every line PARTITION HISTORY_20110417 VALUES LESS THAN (TO_DATE('... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help either with awk or sed to get text between words

Hello All, My requirement is to get test between two words START & END, something like html tags Eg. Input file: START Line1 Line2 Line3 CLOSE START Line4 Line5 Line6 END START Line7 START Line8 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: konerusuneel
7 Replies

8. Debian

Using awk and sed to replace text

Good Day Every one I have a problem finding and replacing text in some large files that will take a long time to manually edit. Example text file looks like this #Example Large Text File unix linux dos squid bind dance bike car plane What im trying to do is to edit all the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxjunkie
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed? rows text to co

Hello Friends! I would like to help the masters ... I have a file with the entry below and would like a script for that output: Input file: 001 1 01-20152142711532-24S 1637909825/05/2015BAHIA SERVICOS R F, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: He2
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text replacement with awk or sed?

Hi guys, I worked for almost a half-day for the replacement of some text automatically with script. But no success. The problem is I have hundred of files, which need to be replaced with some new text. It's a painful work to work manually and it's so easy to do it wrong. For example, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
2 Replies
DDB(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    DDB(8)

NAME
ddb -- configure DDB kernel debugger properties SYNOPSIS
ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] print ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] status ddb script scriptname ddb script scriptname=script ddb scripts ddb unscript scriptname ddb pathname DESCRIPTION
The ddb utility configures certain aspects of the ddb(4) kernel debugger from user space that are not configured at compile-time or easily via sysctl(8) MIB entries. To ease configuration, commands can be put in a file which is processed using ddb as shown in the last synopsis line. An absolute pathname must be used. The file will be read line by line and applied as arguments to the ddb utility. Whitespace at the beginning of lines will be ignored as will lines where the first non-whitespace character is '#'. OUTPUT CAPTURE
The ddb utility can be used to extract the contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer of the current live kernel, or from the crash dump of a kernel on disk. The following debugger commands are available from the command line: capture [-M core] [-N system] print Print the current contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. capture [-M core] [-N system] status Print the current status of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. SCRIPTING
The ddb utility can be used to configure aspects of ddb(4) scripting from user space; scripting support is described in more detail in ddb(4). Each of the debugger commands is available from the command line: script scriptname Print the script named scriptname. script scriptname=script Define a script named scriptname. As many scripts contain characters interpreted in special ways by the shell, it is advisable to enclose script in quotes. scripts List currently defined scripts. unscript scriptname Delete the script named scriptname. EXIT STATUS
The ddb utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following example defines a script that will execute when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a break signal: ddb script kdb.enter.break="show pcpu; bt" The following example will delete the script: ddb unscript kdb.enter.break For further examples, see the ddb(4) and textdump(4) manual pages. SEE ALSO
ddb(4), textdump(4), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The ddb utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
Robert N M Watson BUGS
Ideally, ddb would not exist, as all pertinent aspects of ddb(4) could be configured directly via sysctl(8). BSD
December 24, 2008 BSD