Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TCPdump script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting TCPdump script Post 302504838 by DGPickett on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 02:47:34 PM
Old 03-15-2011
cron can do the timing. The tricky thing is the date command % metacharacter is also the cron metacharacter, so you need to write a trivial script to call from cron. Do you want the date as well, or will it overwrite daily?
Code:
----- tcpd_cron.ksh file (#! must be on first line, chmod 744) -----
#!/usr/bin/ksh

(
date "+=============================
%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S Start ${0##*/} ($$)."

. ./.profile

tcpdump -s 2000 -w flowroute-$( date '+%H''%M' ).pcap

date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S End ${0##*/} ($$) tcpdump returned $?.
==================================="
) >>tcpd_cron.log 2>&1

----- your crontab line ------
0,15,30,45 8-16 * * * tcpd_cron.ksh

The two single quotes in the middle of the date option is because %H% is an SCCS meta-string! Files are in your home dir, unless you expand the path! I assume your .profile will not mind running from a non-tty session (put all the term stuff at the end in an if) and sets any necessary PATH and such. As I recall, in cron stderr is discarded and stdout is emailed to you, so you want to redirect the outputs to a log file and log start and stop of every run with a date command, as bookends. A subshell does this once for everything inside.

Last edited by DGPickett; 03-15-2011 at 03:56 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How To Use tcpdump

I have two net-card. one is 172.16.24.99(ENG) ,another is 172.16.25.99(ENG-B). Both masks is 255.255.255.0. I will monitor data on the tcp port 8055 in ENG, How do I set option of tcpdump command (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tcpdump

does anybody know what the -d -dd and -ddd options are used for ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ant04
2 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

i would like to know about tcpdump

i would like to know about tcpdump i would like to use tcpdump to get information about these - Date - time - source hostname - source mac address - source ip address - destination ip address - see outbound only then i use command like this tcpdump -i le0 -n -q -tttt -e src net... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chamnanpol
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

i would like to know about tcpdump

i would like to know about tcpdump i would like to use tcpdump to get information about these - Date - time - source hostname - source mac address - source ip address - destination ip address - see outbound only then i use command like this tcpdump -i le0 -n -q -tttt -e src net... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chamnanpol
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script, trying to get tcpdump and rotate the file every 300 seconds

Greetings, I just started using scripting languages, im trying to get a tcpdump in a file, change the file name every 5mins ... this is what i have but its not working ... any suggestions? #!/bin/bash # timeout.sh #timestamp format TIMESTAMP=`date -u "+%Y%m%dT%H%M%S"` #tdump =`tcpdump... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livewire
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

write a script to parse some tcpdump output

i am trying to write a script to parse some tcpdump output, in each line of the tcpdump output, I know for sure there are 3 keywords exist: User{different usernamehere} NAS_ipaddr{different ip here} Calling_station{ip or dns name here} But the positions for these 3 keywords in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcpdump script to parse "packers captured" details

I want a script that would do as:- a) gives me packet capture account for each time it runs. b) be able to run at a particular time for specific period time duration (1 min). c) for each time it runs it saves the time / day. Is there a way where i can capture the details as seen in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazerz
2 Replies

8. Debian

Tcpdump Help !

Hi. Need Help with TcpDump Trying to sniff associatio-request with tcpdump but when i run this tcpdump -i eth0 wlan subtype assoc-req i get this error can anyone help me with this error ? Thanks alot !!:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SoulZB
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

TCPdump

I've recently started learning to use TCPdump, and I find it pretty interesting. There's one thing I don't understand. When I tell it to capture packets on, say, the WiFi interface en1, it often captures packets sent or received by other hosts on the network. How can it do this? My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultrix
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcpdump on many machines from single script

Hi all, new to the forum and rusty with my scripting. I am trying to put together a quick and dirty script that will kickoff a tcpdump on multiple machines. Then, another script that will reach out (at a later time) to stop the processes and retrieve the data. It seems fairly easy conceptually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: k9sar
2 Replies
cron(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 cron(1M)