Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with array and creating directories Post 302504675 by clx on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 07:07:07 AM
Old 03-15-2011
I think if [[ -d $DIR/$i ]] should be if [[ -d $i ]]
You are having absolute paths in array element.

Or, do you mean to say you are having structure like this..
Code:
/a/b/c/etc/src/esr/11.2/aix
# where /a/b/c is the value of $DIR

In any case,Why do you need to do mkdir $DIR?
have a look at mkdir -p

I guess you need to backup your "files" in another location with the same directory structure.
If yes, get ONLY file list (not dirs) in array or in a file and try something like..

Code:
for i in ....
do
 dest=/path/prefix/${i%/*}
 mkdir -p $dest || echo "unable to create dir $dest"
 cp $i $dest
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating directories

how do i create directories using command in my unix system, i could do with knowing how to do it with absolute pathnames and relative pathnames please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlvernon
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

creating directories on the same box

I have two login accounts 'fup04a' and 'fup04c' on the same unix box after log in using 'fup04a' and if I try creating a directory 'new' drwxrwxr-x 2 fup04a fup04a 4096 Nov 14 14:06 new but if i try the same with fup04c drw-rw-r-x 2 fup04c fup04c 4096 Nov 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
3 Replies

3. Programming

Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works

I am facing a strange error while creating posix threads: Given below are two snippets of code, the first one works whereas the second one gives a garbage value in the output. Snippet 1 This works: -------------- int *threadids; threadids = (int *) malloc (num_threads * sizeof(int)); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmehta
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating Directories

I have many pdf files with similar naming conventions as this one: AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf. It is a pdf file containing evaluations for these locations: AC41, AC85, AC86, AC128, AC129, MC171, and MC173. I want to create a directory for every location and put the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndnkyd
3 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Creating directories within a directory?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Ok i need to create a directory within another directory in one command. I'm already in a directory to. I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with creating directories and variables

i'm trying to write a script that has 2 variables, and uses the 1st variable as a number and the 2nd a name to create directories. so if you typed in ./myscript 5 week, it would create 5 directories named week1 - week5. whenever i run this, i get an error message saying week5 already exists, so i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: layne2kim
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc.

how can i move "dataName".sql.gz into a folder called 'database' and then move "$fileName".tar.gz * .htaccess into a folder called 'www' with the entire gzipped file being "$fileName".tar.gz? Is this doable or overly complex. so mydemo--2015-03-23-1500.tar.gz > database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem creating a tar ball in different directories

Hi all. I'm hitting a problem creating a tar archive in one directory from files located in a different directory. It fails when I replace the absolute paths with variables in the script but works if I just run tar on the cmdln. E.g. #!/bin/ksh BASE=$PWD STAGE=$BASE/stage LOG=$BASE/log... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating new directories

I want to create a new system of directory structure for example mkdir -p ./iv.sac/resu/hhz.d However, I think that `mkdir -p` overwrites the directories. I want to avoid that and am doing something as follows in my bash script echo -e "\nCreating directories:" ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
6 Replies
STPNCPY(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							STPNCPY(3)

NAME
stpncpy - copy a fixed-size string, returning a pointer to its end SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <string.h> char *stpncpy(char *dest, const char *src, size_t n); DESCRIPTION
The stpncpy() function copies at most n characters from the string pointed to by src, including the terminating '' character, to the array pointed to by dest. Exactly n characters are written at dest. If the length strlen(src) is smaller than n, the remaining characters in the array pointed to by dest are filled with '' characters. If the length strlen(src) is greater or equal to n, the string pointed to by dest will not be '' terminated. The strings may not overlap. The programmer must ensure that there is room for at least n characters at dest. RETURN VALUE
stpncpy() returns a pointer to the terminating null in dest, or, if dest is not null-terminated, dest + n. CONFORMING TO
This function is a GNU extension. SEE ALSO
strncpy(3), wcpncpy(3), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1999-07-25 STPNCPY(3)