Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed: hold buffer question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed: hold buffer question Post 302504461 by cjcox on Monday 14th of March 2011 04:35:04 PM
Old 03-14-2011
Assume your text is:

Code:
Move me1

Keep me1

Append to me1

Move me2

Keep me2

Append to me2

Move me3

Keep me3

Append to me3

Then a sed script like:

Code:
/^Move me/h
/^Move me/d
/^Append to me/b a
b
:a {
G
}

english:
For lines beginning with Move me, put them into the hold buffer.
For lines beginning with Move me, delete them (remember we have it in the hold buffer).
For lines beginning with Append to me, branch to label a
For all else, just default, print and read next
At label a, append the hold buffer to the pattern space... it then goes to default, print and read next

Would produce an output like:

Code:
Keep me1

Append to me1
Move me1

Keep me2

Append to me2
Move me2

Keep me3

Append to me3
Move me3

Am I getting close to what you were wanting??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

buffer question

Hi... I have a question about how many lines the window can remember... is there an environemtn varible for this I can change??? I'm not talking about how many previous commands it remembers. I am talking about how many lines it remembers and for how many lines I can press "page-up" and I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmanchur.
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed buffer

Hi. I have some questions about using sed. I cannot use the hold buffer. For example i want to put first line to the buffer than take second line and append the buffer to the second line.then 3th to the all. It will be like 2->1->3 th lines. Any idea? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: burakkilic
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Question 1. (Don't quite know how to use sed! Thanks)

Write a sed script to extract the year, rank, and stock for the most recent 10 years available in the file top10_mktval.csv, and output in the following format: ------------------------------ YEAR |RANK| STOCK ------------------------------ 2007 | 1 | Exxon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beibeiatNY
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

injecting new line in sed substitution (hold space)

Morning, people! I'd like to call upon your expertise again, this time for a sed endeavor. I've already searched around the forums, didn't find anything that helped yet. background: Solaris 9.x, it's a closed system and there are restrictions to what is portable to it. So let's assume I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProGrammar
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern and hold space issues

Good day. Trying to make a sed script to take text file in a certain format and turn it into mostly formatted html. I'm 95% there but this last bit is hurting my head finally. Here's a portion of the text- Budgeting and Debt: Consumer Credit Counseling of Western PA CareerLink 112... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fiendracer
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hold buffer in perl

Hi, Can any one tell me is their any "hold buffer" in perl similar to sed. I have to find a pattern, once that pattern found then need to go backward and find another pattern and print. Example: Below are the contents present in a file ## block IPs URLs URL_IPs Unblock URLs ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hold, Replace and Print with sed

Hi, I'm a newbie with scripting so I'd appreciate any help. I have a file import.txt with below text AA_IDNo=IDNoHere AA_Name=NameHere AA_Address=AddressHere AA_Telephone=TelephoneHere AA_Sex=SexHere AA_Birthday=BirthdayHere What I need is that the Lines for Name, Address and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heretolearn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

read is not on hold

In end of https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/103227-while-read-loop-scope-variables-shell.html mjd_tech gives script which can read some values directly without manually input, but if no value is the right one, my understand is, it will on hold for waiting the next input, but when I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newoz
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hold buffer in sed

Hi Experts, i have a file like below **** table name is xyz row count for previous day 10 row count for today 20 diff between previous and today 10 scan result PASSED **** table name is abc row count for previous day 90 row count for today 35 diff between previous and today 55... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed's hold-space to filter file contents

I wrote an awk script to filter "uninteresting" commands from my ~/.bash_history (I know about HISTIGNORE, but I don't want to exclude these commands from my current session's history, I just want to avoid persisting them across sessions). The history file can contain multi-line entries with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivanbrennan
6 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)