Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Terminal emulator from scratch. Post 302504128 by Corona688 on Sunday 13th of March 2011 06:53:09 PM
Old 03-13-2011
You having put it in quote tags instead of code tags means I can't even quote it to get the program with sane indentation and must do it all by hand.. I'll take a look ati t...

---------- Post updated at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:45 PM ----------

Your program actually worked without modification, first try:
Code:
$ ./a.out /bin/cat 
./a.out: Starting [/bin/cat]...
./a.out: OUTPUT of PROGRAM B is: 
fake input
��
$

...though you forget to null-terminate your read string, read doesn't do that for you!
Code:
                line[rv]='\0';
                error(0,0,"OUTPUT of PROGRAM B is: \n%s", line);

Code:
$ ./a.out /bin/cat
$ ./a.out /bin/cat 
./a.out: Starting [/bin/cat]...
./a.out: OUTPUT of PROGRAM B is: 
fake input
$

And depending on your system the pipe may actually buffer and wait forever. You should close() the pipe after you're done writing to it, to force it to send the stuff along before you try and read() from the other pipe.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

how to use terminal emulator???

hello, can any body tell how to use terminal emulator.... i want to check he serial port communication with the help of that terminal emmulator.... also tell me how to open terminal emmulator.....and how to configure it........and how to use it... I am using fedora core 6..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix from scratch

hi all, i'm trying to write a unix system from scratch (not re-writing the kernel) does anyone have information about that? tips and stuff...?i would appreciate every help, thnks :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Filesystem from scratch

Hey, Had anyone tried with writing a new FS - file system ( whether its useful or not, that doesn't matter ) ? I tried one couple of years ago, but that was a fatal failure :( and can't continue working on it since then. :( Anybody got some experience with writing file system from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Tera Terminal Emulator

Hello Expert! :b: Question for you guys, Can anyone tell me how to use terminal emulator on Windows XP to view Solaris config? I have no idea on Solaris and the only thing I could do is to boot it up. Honestly, I have given a tasked to delete all the files and some necessary memory information... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katsloko
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal Emulator

Hi, I was just wondering how to distinguish between the two terms: 1. Terminal emulator (vt100, vt220 and so on) 2. shell command line Then i decided to conclude myself that these 2 are very equivalent. am I right? this actually came to my mind when I was using my HP-UX terminal. I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: messi777
1 Replies
GZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)