Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers using awk inside bash script? Post 302504098 by xaiu on Sunday 13th of March 2011 04:20:33 PM
Old 03-13-2011
Thanks for the tips!

Using epoch time is very intriguing because it avoids a lot of the pain of converting back and forth between HH:MM:SS and seconds, but I'm having trouble setting the system time with date and using epoch time. Any reason to use date over systemsetup?

I was able to solve my problem with using a colon as a separator. Earlier in the script I used IFS=":" to parse HH MM SS from systemsetup -gettime. I unset IFS after grabing my init values and everything seems to be working just fine.

Thanks to all for your help and insights!

Last edited by xaiu; 03-13-2011 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: solved problem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed inside bash script - accessing multiple files

I have a file (email) containing email addresses. I have a second file (terms) that contains simple regular expressions and words/characters. Here are some examples: \.trainee \.group \.web I want to go through email and delete lines containing the expressions/words from terms and write... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manouche
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

running bash command inside awk

Org file 192.168.1.10 d:\adir\xdir 192.168.1.11 d:\bdir\ydir want to covert it into robocopy \\192.168.1.10\d$\adir\xdir\log* some_localdir\adir robocopy \\192.168.1.10\d$\adir\ydir\log* some_localdir\bbdir (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ydk
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why commands inside bash script lost effectiveness?

Hi, I have a bash script to run many system commands on CentOS machine, but I am puzzled by some commands had no effect on parent environment. For example, I want to refresh the desktop xdg menu when some processes added or deleted items from desktop xdg menu. If I run "killall gnome-panel"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect not working inside my Bash script

I am trying to execute expect command inside by small bash script to login into servers using key authentication method. My script is as follows: #!/bin/bash HOST=$1 /usr/bin/expect -c " spawn ssh -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa root@$HOST expect -exact "Enter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Wilson
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run bash command inside zsh script

Hi, I would like to run following code in bash inside a zsh script. (In this case is output unfortunately very different if you run it in zsh). I tried to put "bash" in front of the code but I obtained following error message "bash: do: No such file or directory " eve though I merged the whole... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamcamonty
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to change paths inside a bash script?

i have some script with some paths inside it. The idea is to some files which is on desktop copy and move to another location. Problem is that inside script is similar to this: cp test1.zip /root/help/ because I allways have another zip files, does it possible to have some input which ask me... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Aliases NOT working inside bash shell script

i have defined a function ln_s() for customizing the ln command in script1.sh. more script1.sh echo "Starting Execution" ./script2.sh echo "End of Execution" ln_s(){ ] && return ln -s "$1" "$2" } My script1.sh executes another script2.sh which has the following entry more script2.sh... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Multiple checks inside if condition in a bash shell script

Hi, I need to perform the untar and rm operation if the file found is a .tar and does not have test.tar or hello.tar as the file names. Below is the loop to check the same. for tf in *.tar do if ] then found=1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing sed command inside a bash script

I want to run commands inside a bash script. An example is I want to pass the command in a string as regexp as an argument to the script, then run sed on the bash variable sed.sh regexp sed.sh "-i \"s/<p>//g\"" then call sed "$regexp" $fl (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kangol
3 Replies
Template::Plugin::Date(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Template::Plugin::Date(3pm)

NAME
Template::Plugin::Date - Plugin to generate formatted date strings SYNOPSIS
[% USE date %] # use current time and default format [% date.format %] # specify time as seconds since epoch # or as a 'h:m:s d-m-y' or 'y-m-d h:m:s' string [% date.format(960973980) %] [% date.format('4:20:36 21/12/2000') %] [% date.format('2000/12/21 4:20:36') %] # specify format [% date.format(mytime, '%H:%M:%S') %] # specify locale [% date.format(date.now, '%a %d %b %y', 'en_GB') %] # named parameters [% date.format(mytime, format = '%H:%M:%S') %] [% date.format(locale = 'en_GB') %] [% date.format(time = date.now, format = '%H:%M:%S', locale = 'en_GB) %] # specify default format to plugin [% USE date(format = '%H:%M:%S', locale = 'de_DE') %] [% date.format %] ... DESCRIPTION
The "Date" plugin provides an easy way to generate formatted time and date strings by delegating to the "POSIX" "strftime()" routine. The plugin can be loaded via the familiar USE directive. [% USE date %] This creates a plugin object with the default name of '"date"'. An alternate name can be specified as such: [% USE myname = date %] The plugin provides the "format()" method which accepts a time value, a format string and a locale name. All of these parameters are optional with the current system time, default format ('"%H:%M:%S %d-%b-%Y"') and current locale being used respectively, if undefined. Default values for the time, format and/or locale may be specified as named parameters in the "USE" directive. [% USE date(format = '%a %d-%b-%Y', locale = 'fr_FR') %] When called without any parameters, the "format()" method returns a string representing the current system time, formatted by "strftime()" according to the default format and for the default locale (which may not be the current one, if locale is set in the "USE" directive). [% date.format %] The plugin allows a time/date to be specified as seconds since the epoch, as is returned by "time()". File last modified: [% date.format(filemod_time) %] The time/date can also be specified as a string of the form "h:m:s d/m/y" or "y/m/d h:m:s". Any of the characters : / - or space may be used to delimit fields. [% USE day = date(format => '%A', locale => 'en_GB') %] [% day.format('4:20:00 9-13-2000') %] Output: Tuesday A format string can also be passed to the "format()" method, and a locale specification may follow that. [% date.format(filemod, '%d-%b-%Y') %] [% date.format(filemod, '%d-%b-%Y', 'en_GB') %] A fourth parameter allows you to force output in GMT, in the case of seconds-since-the-epoch input: [% date.format(filemod, '%d-%b-%Y', 'en_GB', 1) %] Note that in this case, if the local time is not GMT, then also specifying '%Z' (time zone) in the format parameter will lead to an extremely misleading result. Any or all of these parameters may be named. Positional parameters should always be in the order "($time, $format, $locale)". [% date.format(format => '%H:%M:%S') %] [% date.format(time => filemod, format => '%H:%M:%S') %] [% date.format(mytime, format => '%H:%M:%S') %] [% date.format(mytime, format => '%H:%M:%S', locale => 'fr_FR') %] [% date.format(mytime, format => '%H:%M:%S', gmt => 1) %] ...etc... The "now()" method returns the current system time in seconds since the epoch. [% date.format(date.now, '%A') %] The "calc()" method can be used to create an interface to the "Date::Calc" module (if installed on your system). [% calc = date.calc %] [% calc.Monday_of_Week(22, 2001).join('/') %] The "manip()" method can be used to create an interface to the "Date::Manip" module (if installed on your system). [% manip = date.manip %] [% manip.UnixDate("Noon Yesterday","%Y %b %d %H:%M") %] AUTHORS
Thierry-Michel Barral wrote the original plugin. Andy Wardley provided some minor fixups/enhancements, a test script and documentation. Mark D. Mills cloned "Date::Manip" from the "Date::Calc" sub-plugin. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2007 Thierry-Michel Barral, Andy Wardley. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Template::Plugin, POSIX perl v5.14.2 2012-01-13 Template::Plugin::Date(3pm)