Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: compiling coreutils
Top Forums Programming compiling coreutils Post 302504081 by Corona688 on Sunday 13th of March 2011 01:54:14 PM
Old 03-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakatana
- is it possible to compile only specific binary ? (id.c uniq.c cat.c etc) and not whole package ?
id.c, cat.c, and uniq.c aren't binaries so you're barking up the wrong tree. You're also assuming all the source code for id resides in id.c and so forth, which isn't necessarily true, they may have other source files in common.

You might try 'cd src ; make id'

Quote:
- where to find another packages that I can compile from source ? for example passwd command ?
Just as the 'id' utility doesn't reside in id-0.78-1.fc14.i686.tar.gz, not every individual program has its own tiny individual package. I think passwd belongs to the shadow password tools.

Last edited by Corona688; 03-13-2011 at 03:00 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C compiling

I recently loaded SuSE on my intel comp. I am presently taking a walk down memory lane from my days at UofT. I was fiddling round with cc and the gcc compilers. I wrote a basic basic basic program . I tried to compile it as I remember doing in Uni. The problem is that it can't find the header... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cantcatchme
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compiling

would anyone know of a good online tutorial on compiling and installing tarballs? i'm looking for one that assumes that you know very little to nothing about unix. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nydel
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compiling qt

i am trying to compile and install free qt for x11 2.2.4 in order to use kde 2.1. i'm using freebsd 4.3 i currently have XFree86 installed and working. i followed these instructions: ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/INSTALL i get through the unpacking fine and i set my .profile. --... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nydel
2 Replies

4. Programming

compiling

I am new to unix so please forgive ignorance. I am running openbsd-2.9 and need some help. All the software I run was added via the package system openbsd has. There have been times when I need an app. But it was not in the openbsd ports and or packages system. I usually just wait for it to show up... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Blunt_Killer
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

re-compiling

I have a problem. How can I be sure that the binary currently in production is the binary originally produced by the compiler? I ask because recompiling the sources (ALL sources + stripping away the metadata: strip ...) does not give the same result. I am pretty sure that I wasn't hacked! ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aViking
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doubt while compiling using cc

I was trying to compile a proc code. All steps when fine, except the last step which threw an error - I was just trying to compile it manually. Any ideas what this error means. Does it mean I am using the wrong library? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing SU coreutils from BSD to unix AIX

Dear all Good day. Can any one advice me how to install the SU tool coreutils from BSD installed with linux on AIX unix ??? Thx in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
0 Replies

8. Programming

Error with compiling

Hi guys. I have a header file: unp.h like this: #ifndef _UNP_H_ #define _UNP_H_ extern ssize_t readn(int filedes, void *buff, size_t nbytes); extern ssize_t writen(int filedes, const void *buff, size_t nbytes); extern void err_quit(const char *msg); #define TRUE 1 #define FALSE 0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
2 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)