Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [awk] print all filenames in directory Post 302503873 by radoulov on Saturday 12th of March 2011 05:28:47 AM
Old 03-12-2011
Removed homework warning as per OP's request (the OP claims this is not a school work).

To the OP:

You can definitely use awk for this task and it's definitely not the right tool for this task ...

Last edited by radoulov; 03-12-2011 at 07:11 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping thru filenames in a directory

Hi, i am very new to UNIX, i am trying to loop thru the files in a directory. I got the filenames into a variable using $files=`ls` Here $files will contain <filename1> <filename2> <filename3> I want to get one filename at a time and append it to some some text. forexample, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silas.john
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating the filenames in a directory

hi all, I have a requirement where in i have to read all the filenames based on a pattern from a directory and concatenate all these file names and write it to another file. i am using the following code to do this var1='' for filename in $_DIR/${FILE_NAME}* do if if then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change all filenames in a directory

I have a directory of files and each file has a random 5 digit string at the beginning that needs to be removed. Plus, there are some files that will be identically named after the 5 digit string is removed and I want those eliminated or moved. any ideas? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: crumb
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print filenames with spaces using awk

Hello all, I want to list the file contents of the directory and number them. I am using la and awk to do it now, #ls |awk '{print NR "." $1}' 1. alpha 2. beta 3. gamma The problem I have is that some files might also have some spaces in the filenames. #ls alpha beta gamma ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use filenames to create directory.

I have many files similar to this one: AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf. I want a directory named AC41 and to put the file AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf into the directory. Next, a directory named AC85 and put the file into it. Also, continue to cycle through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ndnkyd
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the last column of the list contain filenames with spaces.

Hi experts, I have the following data: I want the last filed in the output. How to print the last field , It contains the file names and few filenames with white spaces . -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-04-26 16:57 file1 2space_File.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-04-26... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filenames change in a directory

Hi I have abc_ahb_one.v abc_ahb_two.v abc_ahb_three.v ........l like this -----upto abc_ahb_ninety.v in some directory. I need to change those file names to like below. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneethk
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script template for inputting filenames and print results

Hi, Hope you are all well. New to scripting, and all those characters are all a new language for me. Though hoping to get my little head round it all sooner or later. I was wondering whether anyone could help with a script template example. What I would like to happen is to run the script... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: loky27
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print and Append the matching filenames

Hi, I want to check all files in a folder for some specific start string and append all matching filenames with _1, _2 .... for each file found in the directory. But, $file below gives me all details of the files like access permissions, owner and filename etc. I just want all the filenames... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetancrsp18
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

print all filenames in directory with path to another file

hi, i have a directory at /path/unix with the following files 1.txt 2.txt 3.txt 4.txt I want to make another file called filenames.txt at a different location called /path/home. So, my output file would be /path/home/filenames.txt with contents /path/unix/1.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
1 Replies
English(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      English(3pm)

NAME
English - use nice English (or awk) names for ugly punctuation variables SYNOPSIS
use English; use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; # Avoids regex performance penalty # in perl 5.16 and earlier ... if ($ERRNO =~ /denied/) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides aliases for the built-in variables whose names no one seems to like to read. Variables with side-effects which get triggered just by accessing them (like $0) will still be affected. For those variables that have an awk version, both long and short English alternatives are provided. For example, the $/ variable can be referred to either $RS or $INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR if you are using the English module. See perlvar for a complete list of these. PERFORMANCE
NOTE: This was fixed in perl 5.20. Mentioning these three variables no longer makes a speed difference. This section still applies if your code is to run on perl 5.18 or earlier. This module can provoke sizeable inefficiencies for regular expressions, due to unfortunate implementation details. If performance matters in your application and you don't need $PREMATCH, $MATCH, or $POSTMATCH, try doing use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; . It is especially important to do this in modules to avoid penalizing all applications which use them. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 English(3pm)