Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Symbolic link to an empty file shows size 2 Post 302503661 by pludi on Friday 11th of March 2011 09:01:49 AM
Old 03-11-2011
No, not always 2 bytes, but always the length of the path it's pointing to. If you create a (symbolic) link to a file in the current directory called 'a', the "size" of the (symbolic) link will be 1. If the name is 'abcde', the size will be 5. And the link to the file /usr/share/doc/installation-report/install-report.template will have a size of 58.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get symbolic link file

hi all, I am trying to ftp and get some symbolic link file as it is instead of getting whatever it is pointing at. Is it do-able? Thx in advance. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrec
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find .dat file in symbolic link

Hi, I am trying to find all files in a directory that have .dat and .int extensions and removing them. rm -f `find ${MY_DIR} -type f -name '*.dat' -o -name '*.int'` This works fine if $MY_DIR is a regular directory. However when $MY_DIR is a symbolic link then this command fails. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neeto
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link to an executable file

I have a script within my home folder and want to be able to execute it without using the sh command. I know that if it was in ~/bin and executable I could do it just by typing the file name, but would rather keep it in the current file structure I tried creating a soft link in ~/bin,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaloopa
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Tomcat 6.0 fails to read symlink(symbolic link) file

Hello all experts, Im in a situation where Tomcat simply does not want to read this file through the symlink.... I checked permissions..OK Also checked file & tomcat owner...all OK. This is what I have my /tomcat/conf/Catalina/local/appname.xml <Context> <Resource name="jdbc/black" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingaKoopa
3 Replies
symlink(2)							System Calls Manual							symlink(2)

NAME
symlink - make symbolic link to a file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The function creates a symbolic link. Its name is the pathname pointed to by path2, which must be a pathname that does not name an existing file or symbolic link. The contents of the symbolic link are the string pointed to by path1. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, returns 0. Otherwise, it returns -1 and sets to indicate the error. ERRORS
If fails, is set to one of the following values: [EACCES] Write permission is denied in the directory where the symbolic link is being created, or search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix of path2. [EEXIST] The path2 argument names an existing file or symbolic link. [EFAULT] path1 or path2 points outside the process's allocated address space. The reliable detection of this error is implementation-dependent. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from path1, making the directory entry for path2, allocating the inode for path2, or writing out the link contents of path2. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving path2. [ENAMETOOLONG] The length of the path2 argument exceeds or pathname resolution of a symbolic link produced an intermediate result that exceeds or a pathname component is longer than [ENOENT] A component of path2 does not name an existing file or path2 is an empty string. [ENOSPC] The directory in which the entry for the new symbolic link is being placed cannot be extended because no space is left on the file system containing the directory, or the new symbolic link cannot be created because no space is left on the file system which will contain the link, or the file system is out of file- allocation resources. [ENOTDIR] A component of the path prefix of path2 is not a directory. [EROFS] The new symbolic link would reside on a read-only file system. APPLICATION USAGE
Like a hard link, a symbolic link allows a file to have multiple logical names. The presence of a hard link guarantees the existence of a file, even after the original name has been removed. A symbolic link provides no such assurance; in fact, the file named by the path1 argu- ment need not exist when the link is created. A symbolic link can cross file system boundaries. Normal permission checks are made on each component of the symbolic link pathname during its resolution. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
cp(1), chown(2), link(2), lstat(2), open(2), readlink(2), unlink(2), symlink(4), <unistd.h>. STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
CHANGE HISTORY
First released in Issue 4, Version 2. symlink(2)