Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Storing cutted filenames into variable Post 302503649 by bsco on Friday 11th of March 2011 08:09:33 AM
Old 03-11-2011
:)

GREAT!
Thank you very much!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing values in variable

Hi All, Here is the description of the problem. I am scripting for database access using k-shell on solaris box dbaccess <databasename> - << EOF 2>/dev/null | awk 'BEGIN {FS=" "}\ {printf "%s", $1}' | grep -v "^$" | \ read cnt1 OUTPUT TO PIPE cat WITHOUT HEADINGS select count(*) from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing the output into a variable

Hi unix gurus, I am trying to store the result of a command into a variable. But it is not getting stored. x='hello' y=echo $x | wc -c but it is giving the output as 0(zero) Pls help me its very urgent (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing a variable?

I'm writing a bash shell script to backup several mysql databases. This script will run on a daily basis and send a copy to a remote FTP repository. The filenames are in the format DATE.backup.sql. How do I store the DATE variable so I can delete/move/etc the file on the FTP server the next time... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoover90
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing a command in a variable

how would i go about storing this command in a variable echo "$LINE" | awk -F"|" '{print $1"|"$2"|"$3"}' i have tried FOO = ${command up there} but receive the error FOO: not found aswell as a couple of other attempt but no luck (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nookie
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing value in a variable

Hi Everyone, I have a code which requires to be stored in different variables and I am achiving it like this. HOST=`echo $RMP | cut -f2 -d:` NAME=`echo $RMP | cut -f3 -d:` DIR=`echo $RMP | cut -f4 -d:` TYPE=`echo $RMP | cut -f5 -d:` Is there any other way of storing value... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

About storing the value of wc -l into a variable and then using this value in while

Hi all, I m new to this forum. I ma facing onei issue. I have something like this: length= wc -l < b2| awk '{print $1}' where b2 is filename having detauls like: cat b2 abc1 abc4 xyc3 sbdghf4 but when I do echo "$length" it displays nothing Also I am using awk to overcome... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: student2009
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing o/p of a command to a variable

Hi, I have a ftp script there I want to store the o/p of the below command: sftp -b <batch file> user@password cat <batch file> get /remote/file/path/remote_file_name.csv*.gz /local/path Now the problem is that when I fire this command. Then it gives o/p as: File... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing filenames in an array in shell script

hi, i am writing a shell script in which i read a line in a variable. FNAME="s1.txt s2.txt s3.txt s4.txt s5.txt" i want to create a array and store single file names in a array.. so the array should contain arr="s1.txt" arr="s2.txt" arr="s3.txt" arr="s4.txt" arr="s5.txt" how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing a variable using sed

I would like to use sed to store a variable. The code is : echo $HEADERREC CUTVAR=$(echo "$HEADERREC"|sed 's/SDV/STR') echo $CUTVAR Output I am getting now: 0012PVGRSCDVSDV 005 00000000000000000000 2014 0.00 sed: Function s/SDV/STR cannot be parsed. Desired... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies
MERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MERGE(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
merge [ options ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
merge incorporates all changes that lead from file2 to file3 into file1. The result ordinarily goes into file1. merge is useful for com- bining separate changes to an original. Suppose file2 is the original, and both file1 and file3 are modifications of file2. Then merge combines both changes. A conflict occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in a common segment of lines. If a conflict is found, merge normally outputs a warning and brackets the conflict with <<<<<<< and >>>>>>> lines. A typical conflict will look like this: <<<<<<< file A lines in file A ======= lines in file B >>>>>>> file B If there are conflicts, the user should edit the result and delete one of the alternatives. OPTIONS
-A Output conflicts using the -A style of diff3(1), if supported by diff3. This merges all changes leading from file2 to file3 into file1, and generates the most verbose output. -E, -e These options specify conflict styles that generate less information than -A. See diff3(1) for details. The default is -E. With -e, merge does not warn about conflicts. -L label This option may be given up to three times, and specifies labels to be used in place of the corresponding file names in conflict reports. That is, merge -L x -L y -L z a b c generates output that looks like it came from files x, y and z instead of from files a, b and c. -p Send results to standard output instead of overwriting file1. -q Quiet; do not warn about conflicts. -V Print 's version number. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no conflicts, 1 for some conflicts, 2 for trouble. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Manual Page Revision: 5.7; Release Date: 1995/06/01. Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 Walter F. Tichy. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 Paul Eggert. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). BUGS
It normally does not make sense to merge binary files as if they were text, but merge tries to do it anyway. GNU
1995/06/01 MERGE(1)