Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create a list of directory contents Post 302503169 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 9th of March 2011 09:03:23 PM
Old 03-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Tek
Well I did a search and didn't anything for my specific case.

I got a directory with a bunch of text file. All of them have the following pattern on the filename "ABCD_<As of Date>.txt"
Example:
ABCD_20110301.txt
ABCD_20110302.txt
ABCD_20110303.txt

All I want to accomplish is a Korn Shell Script that outputs the list separated with a comma. I know that is very easy to accomplish but I'm having a very hard time understanding shell scripting.

Output Example:
ABCD_20110301.txt,ABCD_20110302.txt,ABCD_20110303.txt
Code:
list=$(printf "%s," *.txt)
printf "%s\n" "${list%,}"

This User Gave Thanks to cfajohnson For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Message trying to list contents of directory

I'm getting this return whenever I try to do anything on a directory root# ls -al /directory ls: .: Value too large to be stored in data type. total 0 I can change directory down two levels but can not list contents of the root of this directory. ANy one seen this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sallender
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list contents of directory

I want to list the contents of a directory, but I do not want to use the ls, is there another way?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carl_vieyra
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best way to list a directory's contents?

Hey guys! I'm so glad I found this site, I've had so many questions and have been left alone for roughly a year scanning man pages but It's just not quite cutting it for some things. So, I often like to list directories when browsing around my local machine, a friend's machine, or my web... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbilheimer
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create multiple list of files in a directory ?

Hi, i have say 100 files in a directory. file1.log file2.log file3.log file4.log file5.log file6.log ... ... ... file99.log file100.log ========= I need to create another file which contains the list of al these log files. each file should contain only 10 log file names. it shud... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinbannis
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create variables from directory list problem

I am trying to take a list of directories in a folder and give them a variable name. I have this working with the exception that the shell_exec command wants to place a return. Here is my code which might explain better what I am trying to do: <?php session_start(); $student1=$_SESSION;... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robp2175
0 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help how to create a file (xml) list all files from directory

I have more than 10K songs in two directories on a hard drive. I would like to create a file list all of files name then change to .xml extension to upload to iPhone so I have a Karaoke list on my iPhone. I need your help to create a file by using command in Linux. Files names: 0001 More... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggcc
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help with Bash - comparing directory contents with list of files

Hey guys, need help with a script I'm trying to write. Basically I need to compare the contents of a folder called "profiles" with a list of files called "template". when the file matches the contents of the folder it needs to set a variable called "checked" to "1" Cookies to anyone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scriporium
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies
PTARGREP(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       PTARGREP(1)

NAME
ptargrep - Apply pattern matching to the contents of files in a tar archive SYNOPSIS
ptargrep [options] <pattern> <tar file> ... Options: --basename|-b ignore directory paths from archive --ignore-case|-i do case-insensitive pattern matching --list-only|-l list matching filenames rather than extracting matches --verbose|-v write debugging message to STDERR --help|-? detailed help message DESCRIPTION
This utility allows you to apply pattern matching to the contents of files contained in a tar archive. You might use this to identify all files in an archive which contain lines matching the specified pattern and either print out the pathnames or extract the files. The pattern will be used as a Perl regular expression (as opposed to a simple grep regex). Multiple tar archive filenames can be specified - they will each be processed in turn. OPTIONS
--basename (alias -b) When matching files are extracted, ignore the directory path from the archive and write to the current directory using the basename of the file from the archive. Beware: if two matching files in the archive have the same basename, the second file extracted will overwrite the first. --ignore-case (alias -i) Make pattern matching case-insensitive. --list-only (alias -l) Print the pathname of each matching file from the archive to STDOUT. Without this option, the default behaviour is to extract each matching file. --verbose (alias -v) Log debugging info to STDERR. --help (alias -?) Display this documentation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2010 Grant McLean <grantm@cpan.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2013-08-25 PTARGREP(1)