Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers How to grep for password file entry Post 302503150 by cjcox on Wednesday 9th of March 2011 07:17:21 PM
Old 03-09-2011
use of "id" is fairly portable. You can use that to determine who you are... or you can use whoami. Then, if portability is important, you can use that value (after parsing) to grep into /etc/passwd.

On a Linux box (and some other *ix), you can use getent... e.g.

Code:
getent passwd $(whoami)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

/etc/shadow update password entry! ( getspent? )

Hi i just whant to update an password entry in /etc/shadow. But dosen't get it to work. Something is wrong! in this code. What i try do do is if user kalle exist in shadow. I whant it to update it's password for just that entry. #include <stdio.h> #include <errno.h> #include <stdlib.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nighter
2 Replies

2. Programming

userpw.h AIX ( delete entry from the shadow password database )

HI i need to delete an entry in /etc/security/passwd. can't find a way to do it with userpw.h api ( AIX ). the passwd file i delete like this. Write all entrys to passwd file except the one we are removing. can't find any function that works like getspent / getpwent do in AIX userpw api.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nighter
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating username / password entry

I have a database that contains a list of server names, and the password for the root user on several servers (100+). I need to verify the passwords for each of the servers in an automated fashion because the database continues to grow. All of the users that I'm going to test are ROOT. I can't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jbeck22
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to delay password entry - putty connection manager

Hi all, putty connection manager is great but when attempting to sudo or ssh to another box via the post login commands it is subject to issues due to network latency (what happens is that pcm enters the password before the unix box is ready to receive it). Is there any clever way I can make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skinnygav
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep for password file entry

How would I grep for password file entry without using grep 'username' /etc/passwd? perhaps with who? I want to create alias that will find the password file entry regardless of the user who is using it. I am trying to get the same exact line from the file entry like: Name : Password : UserID... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alis
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop picks up password for 2 entry...how to avoid that ?

hello all, i am trying to find a better to do what i am doing right now... i have a file called sidlist...which has my database_name and password to the respective database so something like below.. file is called sidlist and entry is below... test, abc123 kes12, abcd12 pss, abcd1234... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] grep a part of filename as entry file

hi all, i need to combine these files into one csv file. Bounce_Mail_Event_Daily_Report_01_Jul_2012.csv Bounce_Mail_Event_Daily_Report_02_Jul_2012.csv Bounce_Mail_Event_Daily_Report_03_Jul_2012.csv Bounce_Mail_Event_Daily_Report_04_Jul_2012.csv... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: makan
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to grep certain entry out of log file

This one is a bit too challenging for me... Hopefully you guys can help. Let's say I have a log file called: "$MW_HOME/user_projects/domains/IDMDomain/servers/wls_ods?/logs/wls_ods1-diagnostic.log" In this log file I want to search for "DIP-10219". When I execute this $ cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: exm
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic su password entry script

Before I start, two things. 1) Yes I know it's bad practice and obomination to all things holy, but I'm not a sys admin at JP Morgan, I'm a hobbyist tooling about in a VM, in my pants, at home. 2) If you are just going to flame for even considering hardcoding a root password, thanks, I get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep for first entry in a file?

Hello friends, I have a question. Sometimes I have to search for an entry in a file that is repeated thousands of times. Can you tell me how to search so that i get limited results? For example: file: myfile.txt grep "hello world" myfile.txt this above grep will generate 5000... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
4 Replies
GETENT(1)							   User Commands							 GETENT(1)

NAME
getent - get entries from Name Service Switch libraries SYNOPSIS
getent database [key ...] DESCRIPTION
The getent command displays entries from databases supported by the Name Service Switch libraries, which are configured in /etc/nss- witch.conf. If one or more key arguments are provided, then only the entries that match the supplied keys will be displayed. Otherwise, if no key is provided, all entries will be displayed (unless the database does not support enumeration). The database may be any of those supported by the GNU C Library, listed below: ahosts When no key is provided, use sethostent(3), gethostent(3), and endhostent(3) to enumerate the hosts database. This is identi- cal to using hosts. When one or more key arguments are provided, pass each key in succession to getaddrinfo(3) with the address family AF_UNSPEC, enumerating each socket address structure returned. ahostsv4 Same as ahosts, but use the address family AF_INET. ahostsv6 Same as ahosts, but use the address family AF_INET6. The call to getaddrinfo(3) in this case includes the AI_V4MAPPED flag. aliases When no key is provided, use setaliasent(3), getaliasent(3), and endaliasent(3) to enumerate the aliases database. When one or more key arguments are provided, pass each key in succession to getaliasbyname(3) and display the result. ethers When one or more key arguments are provided, pass each key in succession to ether_aton(3) and ether_hostton(3) until a result is obtained, and display the result. Enumeration is not supported on ethers, so a key must be provided. group When no key is provided, use setgrent(3), getgrent(3), and endgrent(3) to enumerate the group database. When one or more key arguments are provided, pass each numeric key to getgrgid(3) and each nonnumeric key to getgrnam(3) and display the result. gshadow When no key is provided, use setsgent(3), getsgent(3), and endsgent(3) to enumerate the gshadow database. When one or more key arguments are provided, pass each key in succession to getsgnam(3) and display the result. hosts When no key is provided, use sethostent(3), gethostent(3), and endhostent(3) to enumerate the hosts database. When one or more key arguments are provided, pass each key to gethostbyaddr(3) or gethostbyname2(3), depending on whether a call to inet_pton(3) indicates that the key is an IPv6 or IPv4 address or not, and display the result. initgroups When one or more key arguments are provided, pass each key in succession to getgrouplist(3) and display the result. Enumera- tion is not supported on initgroups, so a key must be provided. netgroup When one key is provided, pass the key to setnetgrent(3) and, using getnetgrent(3) display the resulting string triple (host- name, username, domainname). Alternatively, three keys may be provided, which are interpreted as the hostname, username and domainname to match to a netgroup name via innetgr(3). Enumeration is not supported on netgroup, so either one or three keys must be provided. networks When no key is provided, use setnetent(3), getnetent(3), and endnetent(3) to enumerate the networks database. When one or more key arguments are provided, pass each numeric key to getnetbyaddr(3) and each nonnumeric key to getnetbyname(3) and dis- play the result. passwd When no key is provided, use setpwent(3), getpwent(3), and endpwent(3) to enumerate the passwd database. When one or more key arguments are provided, pass each numeric key to getpwuid(3) and each nonnumeric key to getpwnam(3) and display the result. protocols When no key is provided, use setprotoent(3), getprotoent(3), and endprotoent(3) to enumerate the protocols database. When one or more key arguments are provided, pass each numeric key to getprotobynumber(3) and each nonnumeric key to getprotobyname(3) and display the result. rpc When no key is provided, use setrpcent(3), getrpcent(3), and endrpcent(3) to enumerate the rpc database. When one or more key arguments are provided, pass each numeric key to getrpcbynumber(3) and each nonnumeric key to getrpcbyname(3) and display the result. services When no key is provided, use setservent(3), getservent(3), and endservent(3) to enumerate the services database. When one or more key arguments are provided, pass each numeric key to getservbynumber(3) and each nonnumeric key to getservbyname(3) and display the result. shadow When no key is provided, use setspent(3), getspent(3), and endspent(3) to enumerate the shadow database. When one or more key arguments are provided, pass each key in succession to getspnam(3) and display the result. EXIT STATUS
One of the following exit values can be returned by getent: 0 Command completed successfully. 1 Missing arguments, or database unknown. 2 One or more supplied key could not be found in the database. 3 Enumeration not supported on this database. SEE ALSO
nsswitch.conf(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2013-03-15 GETENT(1)