Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo * question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers echo * question Post 302503038 by wpeckham on Wednesday 9th of March 2011 01:34:17 PM
Old 03-09-2011
echo *

For additional detail, check the bash man page sections on special characters and expansions. The technical term is "globbing", and is also referred to in nearly any discussion of "regular expressions".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about echo $$

hi all i have script echo $$ >tmp i understand thatecho $$ display some process id which is unique is that correct ? and my othere question is what is the maximum length that process-id can be ? the reason that i'm asking this is because i have a program which need to read the number of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naamas03
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple 'echo' question

Hi, I would like to output the identical line to 2 text files, ie output='blah' echo $output > test1.txt echo $output > test2.txt Is there a way I could do that output with ONE command, ie output='blah' echo $output > test1.txt & test2.txt (I know that doesn't work) Thanks for any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

An echo question

Why do get 0 when i enter " echo $? " (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
1 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Question about cat and echo

Hello, I am trying to send text to a USB to serial adaptor and then to an external speech synthesizer. I tried using the cat and echo commands with no luck. I have gotten some audio output from my synthesizer using Kermit a terminal emulator, so I am pretty sure my synthesizer and my USB to serial... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesapp
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo question

How can I get the following to prompt me for new values for the dacsrtrspans? example I want to change the span #, sinktermmod, sinktermport, srctermdev and srctermport to new values. old: ADD DACSRTRSPAN-1-840 SINKTERMMODULE=8 SINKTERMPORT=94 SRCTERMDEV=1 SRCTERMPORT=1 SPANTYPE=T1_2... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tadzooks
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

echo date question

Whats the difference between using date in these 2 methods? How exactly does the shell handle the first one different from the second one? $ echo $date $ echo $(date) Tue Aug 16 03:10:25 EDT 2011 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick Question on Echo

Hey all, so I wrote a pretty simple script. It's viewable here: #!/bin/sh FILE=`ls $1` for filename in $FILE do echo $filename `echo $filename | tr e 5 ` doneSo, as you can see it gets the list from a command line specified directory. It then loops through, echoes the filename, and then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowExpectations
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple cat and echo question

Apologies, probably a really simple problem: I've got a text file (nh.txt) with this in it: user1 email1 email2 user2 email1 email2 etc With the following basic script: for tline in $(cat nh.txt) do echo "**********" echo $tline done ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nelmo
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

need simple echo question

Hi I want to use echo command as below echo 'dir=' $1 ' dir|file|home' i need output like below : echo 'dir=' $1 ' dir|file|home' pp13dff Output dir=pp13dff dir|file|home (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
4 Replies
sparkmake(1)															      sparkmake(1)

NAME
sparkmake - generates SPARK index and metafiles SYNOPSIS
spark [OPTIONS] [ROOT_FILE] DESCRIPTION
The SPARKMake tool automatically generates two files that can be used as arguments to the Examiner command line: The index file and the meta file. For more information please refer to the full Examiner manual. This manual page only summarises the sparkmake command-line flags, please refer to the full SPARKMake manual for further information. OPTIONS
These options do not quite follow the usual GNU command line syntax. All options start with a single dash instead of the usual two and they can also be abbreviated, as long as the abbreviation is unique. For example -expand can be abbreviated to -expa but not -exp as this clash- es with -export_indent. For a description of the regular expression syntax, please refer to the appropriate section below. If ROOT_FILE is not given then we produce an index and metafile for all files in and under the current directory. -help Display command-line help. -version Display version information. -directory=DIRNAME Look in and under DIRNAME as well as the current working directory. This option can be specified more than once; buy default we only look at the current working directory. -include=REGEXP Only include files if their full path matches the given regular expression. -exclude=REGEXP Exclude files if their full patch matches the given regular expression. -duplicates_are_errors Fail if duplicate units are found. -annotation_character=CHAR Select alternative annotation character. The default is '#'. -language=L This can be one of 83, 95 (the default) or 2005. -index=FILE_SPEC, -noindexfile The index file to generate, by default this is ROOT_FILE.idx. -meta=FILE_SPEC, -nometafile The metafile to generate, by default this is ROOT_FILE.smf. -path_option=MODE Produce 'relative' or 'full' pathnames. By default we produce full pathnames. SPARKMAKE REGULAR EXPRESSION SYNTAX
Please note that the regular expression syntax used by SPARKMake differs from both POSIX and Perl regular expressions. Please also take care to appropriately escape anythign that your shell might replace or expand (such as * or ?). The characters '{' and '}' are not allowed to appear in any regular expression. reg_exp = term term = elmt | elmt elmt ... | * | ? | [char char ...] | [char - char] elmt = nchr | [nchr nchr ...] | [^ nchr nchr ...] | [nchr - nchr] | . | ( reg_exp ) The * has special meaning; it matches any string of 0 or more characters. Note that this differs from POSIX regex where the equivalent would be '.*'. The special characters ? and . have the same meaning, they match any character. Thus, ? does not hold the same meaning it does in a POSIX regular expression. The [ab...] notation means the usual: match any character listed. The [a-f] notation means the usual: match any character in the given range. The [^a-f] notation means the usual: match any character not in the given range. char can be any character, including special characters. nchr can be any character except '', '(', ')', '[', ']', '.', '*', '+', '?' or '^'. It is possible to specify such a special character by escaping it with a backslash. SEE ALSO
spark(1), sparksimp(1), spadesimp(1), zombiescope(1), victor(1), pogs(1) sparkformat(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Florian Schanda <florian.schanda@altran-praxis.com> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Ver- sion 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts and no Back-Cover Texts. 22 March 2011 sparkmake(1)