Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed truncating last line if EOF is not with newline Post 302502734 by Corona688 on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 05:57:38 PM
Old 03-08-2011
This is known behavior for some older implementations of sed, among other things. The behavior of many utilities is undefined on lines that don't end in a newline. If you have it, you might try gsed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Truncating a number using sed/awk

Hi all, I'm trying to truncate a number like the following: 0001060407013900501048239559900600504083525826350002050354795057 I would like to create an output which puts carriage returns every so many characters, giving an output such as: 0001 060407 0139 0 05 010482395599 0060... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaeltravisuk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

line 85: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'

hello everyone...im having this problem with unexpected EOF with line 85 which is..i cant see whats wrong with it..can any1 plz help me out. read -p "$p1 please enter the number of tries you wish to have:" lifeline function main() { guessnum=0 read -p "Please... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Freakhan
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Binary line being inserted while truncating a file

Hi All, I have a ln between two files (say ln a b), when i truncate file " b ", this truncates file " a " also, a binary line is being added as the first line of both the files. This is causing problems with other scripts which grep on the above files. (though i can work my way around... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshay61286
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed newline

Hi everyone, I'd like to use the script validatehtml which returns either the given url is HTML strict or not, using http:// validator . w3 . org . sh validatehtml #!/bin/bash wget -q http:// validator . w3 .org / check?uri=$1 cat check\?uri\=$1 | sed -n '/h2/ p' | sed 's/ */ /g' | sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: azertyazerty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid the truncating of multiple spaces into a single space while reading a line from a file?

consider the small piece of code while read line do echo $line done < example content of example file sadasdasdasdsa erwerewrwr ergdgdfgf rgerg erwererwr the output is like sadasdasdasdsa erwerewrwr ergdgdfgf rgerg erwererwr the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match EOF on newline in a file

Hi, i have a file where the end-of-file might be at the end of of a valid text line or on a new line case a) p q r s t u <eof> case b) p q r s t u <eof> case c) p q r s t u <no data, only carriage return> <eof> I have a requirement where <eof> line should not be read if it's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read command stop on either EOF or a specific line

I'm trying to stop reading a file until the end of the file is reached or a defined delimiter line is reached. Some how I need to test the fail state of the last 2 commands, not just the last command. echo -e "hello\ngoodbye\n####\ntesting" | while read line; ]; do echo "$line"; done hello... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the output when we are usinf EOF in the same line?

need to login 4 systems to check whether the systems are accessible or not using rlogin command,after each login i will exit.After issuing the command rlogin abc if it is not responding i will get a message of "connection timed out" . So i want to automate this task .so i tried like below : EX:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: charanarjun
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Redirect The Output When We Are Usinf EOF In The Same Line?

need to login 4 systems to check whether the systems are accessible or not using rlogin command,after each login i will exit.After issuing the command rlogin abc if it is not responding i will get a message of "connection timed out" . So i want to automate this task .so i tried like below: EX: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kankuro9x
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting an unexpected newline in my while loop line-by-line feed

Hi, I'm trying to get a line returned as is from the below input.csv file in Bash in Linux, and somehow I get an unexpected newline in the middle of my input. Here's a sample line in input.csv $> more input.csv TEST_SYSTEM,DUMMY@GMAIL.COM|JULIA H|BROWN And here's a very basic while loop... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
7 Replies
GETFILEINFO(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					    GETFILEINFO(1)

NAME
/usr/bin/GetFileInfo -- get attributes of files and directories SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/GetFileInfo [-P -a[<attribute-letter>] | -c | -d | -m | -t] file ... DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/GetFileInfo is a tool to get the file attributes. With no flags, GetFileInfo retrieves all information about the file. If exactly one option is provided, GetFileInfo retrieves and displays just that information; supplying more than one is an error. Flags: -P Acts on a symlink file instead of the file the symlink resolves to. -a[<attribute-letter>] Gets a file's attribute bits where <attribute-letter> is one of the following: a Alias file b Has bundle c Custom icon (allowed on folders) d Located on the desktop (allowed on folders) e Extension is hidden (allowed on folders) i Inited - Finder is aware of this file and has given it a location in a window. (allowed on folders) l Locked m Shared (can run multiple times) n File has no INIT resource s System file (name locked) t "Stationery Pad" file v Invisible (allowed on folders) z Busy (allowed on folders) The value of a single attribute is printed as 0 for off or false, 1 for on or true. If no attribute letter is specified, the value of all attributes is returned, with lowercase letters representing off or false, and uppercase representing on or true. -t Gets the file type, a string of exactly four characters. If the type is not set, these will display as an empty pair of quo- tation marks. Directories do not have types, so the type will be skipped if all information is being displayed; specifying -t for a directory is an error. -c Gets the file's creator, a string of four characters enclosed in quotation marks. If the creator is not set, these will dis- play as an empty pair of quotation marks. Directories do not have creators, so the creator will be skipped if all information is being displayed; specifying -c for a directory is an error. -d Gets the creation date, a string of the form "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss" in 24-hour clock format. -m Gets the modification date, a string of the form "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss" in 24-hour clock format. RETURN VALUES
0 success 1 syntax error 2 any other error SEE ALSO
SetFile(1) EXAMPLES
The following command line gets and prints the creator for the "Late Breaking News" file: /Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo -c "Late Breaking News" This command line prints the modification date of "myFile": /Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo -m myFile Mac OS X September 27, 2005 Mac OS X