Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Blocked while Redirecting the syslog messages to a pipe in the rc script file Post 302502504 by anilmurala on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 06:08:13 AM
Old 03-08-2011
Blocked while Redirecting the syslog messages to a pipe in the rc script file

Hi All,
I am newbie to linux and i am trying to re-direct the syslog messages to a pipe.
I have modified the syslog.conf file accordingly and have written an rc script to read from the pipe and put them to a file.

I was able to get the log messages to the file but my system is getting blocked in the rc script due to the "read" and i was not asked for the username and password for login.

This is my rc script is as follows

#!/bin/bash
cat /var/diagpipe | while read LINE
do
echo $LINE >> /var/Diag.log
done

syslog.conf

*.info |/var/diagpipe

My rc script is getting excecuted after the rc script for syslod is executed.

can someone please help me, so that with my rc script i will be reading the data from the pipe continuously and i should not block.

Don't know if stty solves my problem.

Thanks in Advance

Anil.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help capturing pipe to a file in shell script

The command: echo "this is some text" | shellscript abc def ghi My problem: How to capture "this is some text" so that I can process it, I.e. capture to a file. What I'm attemting to do is process the text echo'd into a file after writing the parameters passed first. No problem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: heinz
6 Replies

2. Programming

redirecting gcc messages

When I execute make, the gcc is echoing all the command lines to the console. How can I redirect these lines to a file? The same question for the @echo command. Thanks, rkt (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakkota
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting the warning messages.

I have written a Perl module. We know that we have to include the "-w" option in the first line as good programming practise. #! /usr/bin/perl -w Now when i use this,it gives me a number of warnings which are pretty much harmless as the code works perfectly fine without the -w option. Now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keka
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with shell script for chekking a column in txt file - pipe delimited

Hi: I have a text file date(pipe delimited) which is loaded in to the DB using sql loader(&CTL files) after some initial validation by the shell script. Now i have a situation where the shell script needs to check a column in the text file and if it is NULL then it needs send this record/row... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi0435
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR to a file from within a bash script

I am trying to redirect the output from stderr to a log file from within a bash script. the script is to long to add 2> $logfile to the end of each command. I have been trying to do it with the command exec 2> $logfile This mostly works. Unfortunately, when a read command requires that anything be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vockleya
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting the script output to more than 1 file

Hi, I want to redirect my script output to more than one file without printing the result to the screen. How to do that? ex: echo "hi" >> a.txt b.txt cat a.txt hi b.txt :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopathyvasagam
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting arguments in a script to multiple lines in a .txt file

Ok hope my vocab is right here, i'm trying to write multiple sets of arguments to another file for example: I have a script that accepts four arguments and sends them to a another file $write.sh it then out in so the file receiver.txt would contain this: it then out in what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: austing5
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting command output to a file in a shell script

Hello All, I have some unique requirement. I have written a very lengthy script which calls number of resource script to execute a particular task. What I want is output of each command(called from main script and resource scripts) should go to a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies

10. Programming

Writing a UNIX shell script to call a C function and redirecting data to a .txt file

Hi, I am complete new to C programming and shell scripting. I just wrote a simple C code to calculate integral using trapezoid rule. I am prompting user to pass me No. of equally spaced points , N , upper and lower limit. My code looks as follows so far: #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjhjh
2 Replies
PMDARSYSLOG(1)						       Performance Co-Pilot						    PMDARSYSLOG(1)

NAME
pmdarsyslog - rsyslog (reliable and extended syslog) PMDA DESCRIPTION
pmdarsyslog is a Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports metric values from the rsyslogd(8) server. Further details about rsyslog can be found at http://www.rsyslog.com/. INSTALLATION
If you want access to the names and values for the rsyslog performance metrics, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/rsyslog # ./Install If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/rsyslog # ./Remove pmdarsyslog is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. In order to use this agent, rsyslog stats gathering must be enabled. This is done by adding the lines: $ModLoad impstats $PStatsInterval 5 # log every 5 seconds syslog.info |/var/log/pcp/rsyslog/stats to your rsyslog.conf(5) configuration file after installing the PMDA. Take care to ensure the syslog.info messages do not get logged in any other file, as this could unexpectedly fill your filesystem. Syntax useful for this is syslog.!=info for explicitly excluding these. FILES
/var/log/pcp/rsyslog/stats named pipe containing statistics exported from rsyslog, usually created by the PMDA Install script. $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/rsyslog/Install installation script for the pmdarsyslog agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/rsyslog/Remove undo installation script for the pmdarsyslog agent $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/rsyslog.log default log file for error messages from pmdarsyslog SEE ALSO
pmcd(1), rsyslog.conf(5), rsyslogd(8). 3.8.10 Performance Co-Pilot PMDARSYSLOG(1)