Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with reading a specific portion of a file using PERL Post 302502413 by tene on Monday 7th of March 2011 11:54:47 PM
Old 03-08-2011
Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
$file = names.txt;
open(HAN,"<$file");
while(<HAN>)
{
        chomp;
        if ($_ =~ /^<Name/)
        {
                print $_ . "\n";
        }
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading specific line from file

Hi all... I not a expert unix script programmer, Kindly adjust. My requirement is that, i have a file which contains the about 10 lines - say 1 2 3 ... 8 war of the worlds: => text in this line 9 9000,80,78,77,334,445 => this line contains some numbers separted by commas 10 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool_boss2121
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading specific part of file

I have a requirement to go to particular line in the file and from there read the contents till it meets a particular criteria. For eg if the contents of the file is like 81 abcd ------------------- Line 1 82 cdfe ------------------- Line 2 83 dfj ------------------- Line 3 84 df... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collecting specific portion from a file

I have a file which contains data like a b x col1:data1 formula:data3 this is for 2 a c col1:@bkw formula:dontad ad asd as per a \ i want the data from col1 and formula to keep the col1 data in left side of excel and col2 data in right side of it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bmrout007
1 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Reading a file for specific words

Hi I have a script where the user calls it with arguments like so: ./import.sh -s DNSNAME -d DBNAME I want to check that the database entered is valid by going through a passwd.ds file and checking if the database exists there. If it doesn't, the I need to send a message to my log... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting out text from specific portion on filename

Hi, how do I go about cutting out the first numeric characters after the word "access"? access1005101228.merged-00.15.17.86.d8.b8.log.gz (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: GermanJulian
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update a specific line in a file while reading sequentially

All, I know this is a very naive question but I could not find a way to get this working! I have a file with values like input.file Value1 Value2 server1/mylogin,mypasswd Value3 Value4 And in my code, I am reading the file line by line and processing it. #! /bin/ksh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a specific line from a file

Hi All, I am having 100 lines a text file say a.txt. I want read the 'nth' line from that file inside a script. Kindly tell us how to that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopathyvasagam
2 Replies

8. Programming

How access a specific memory portion through printf() function????

Hi friends, Hope everyone is doing well. Please have a look at this simple program, you will figure out what I want. #include <stdio.h> int main() { printf("Enter an integer!\n"); scanf( "%d", 134511890 ); // Valid address on my computer printf( "%d\n", ???? ); return 0; } ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading specific lines from a file using index or keywords

Hello I want to read from a file which contains email addresses. The file format is like this. from@mail.com to1@mail.com to2@mail.com cc@mail.com bcc@mail.com I'll have to read from such file and assign the email addresses to respective variables. frommail =... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kyaw Lwin Phyo
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific range of columns in an Excel file

Hi All, I want to read an excel file. PFA excel, I want to read the cloumn from A to G and the V to AH starting from Row number 3. Please help me on this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhisrajput
7 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 getusershell(3C)