Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk print to file problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk print to file problem Post 302501736 by Corona688 on Friday 4th of March 2011 01:03:05 PM
Old 03-04-2011
Code:
if [ ! "$CRM"/TEST_* = "$CRM"'/TEST_*' ]

That will fail with "too many arguments" whenever there's more than one directory and bomb the whole script!

I usually try something like
Code:
for FILE in "${CMR}"/TEST_*
do
    [ -d "$FILE" ] || continue # Don't run awk on nonexistent dirs
    # Store output in temporary file /tmp/$$
    # then overwrite the original's contents
    awk -F\| '$11~/(tbc|123456|to follow)/{$11=x} 1' OFS="|" < "$FILE" > /tmp/$$ &&
        cat /tmp/$$ > "$FILE"
done
rm -f /tmp/$$

...but even without the 'continue' check nothing bad will happen beyond awk printing an error message.

---------- Post updated at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasosARISFC
Code:

CRM='mypath'
ls $CRM | grep TEST
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
  then
    for FILE in "${CRM}"/TEST*
    do
        # Store output in temporary file /tmp/$$
        # then overwrite the original's contents
        awk -F\| '$11=="to follow"||$11=="test"||$11=="tbc"||$11=="123456"||$11=="TBC"{$11=""} 1' OFS="|" < "$FILE" > /tmp/$$ &&
            cat /tmp/$$ > "$FILE"

done
  rm /tmp/$$
fi

Thank you all for your help
The "ls $CRM | grep TEST" does absolutely nothing now unless you just want it printing to console for some reason. You can remove it.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk problem: How to express the single quote(') by using awk print function

Actually I got a list of file end with *.txt I want to use the same command apply to all the *.txt Thus I try to find out the fastest way to write those same command in a script and then want to let them run automatics. For example: I got the file below: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Problem with awk,not able print the file that is greater than 3000 bytes.

My Script: #!/bin/sh date=`date +%y%m%d -d"1 day ago"` in_dir=/vis/logfiles/to_solmis cp `grep -il ST~856~ $inbound_dir/*$date*` /vis/sumit/in_ASN/ for i in /vis/sumit/in_ASN/* do mkdir -p /vis/sumit/inboundasns.$date cp `echo $i`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shrima.pratima
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare and print out data only appear in file 1 problem

Below is the data content of file_1 and file_2: file_1 >sample_1 FKGJGPOPOPOQA ASDADWEEWERE ASDAWEWQWRW ASDASDASDASDD file_2 >sample_1 DRTOWPFPOPOQA ASDADWEEASDF ASDADRTYWRW ASDASDASDASDD I got try the following perl script. Unfortunately, it can't give my desired output result... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with print append to output file syntax

I'm trying to output the contents of the infile to the outfile using Append. I will want to use append but the syntax doesn't seem to be working ! Input file (called a.txt) contains this: a a a b b b I'm running shell script (called k.sh) from Unix command-line like this: ./k.sh .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Print count for column in a file using awk

Hi, I have the following input in a file & need output as mentioned below(need counter of every occurance of field which is to be increased by 1). Input: 919143110065 919143110065 919143110052 918648846132 919143110012 918648873782 919143110152 919143110152 919143110152... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print output problem

Hello friends, I have written a script and i need to add some part into it so that i could print out more results depending on more conditions, This is the core part of the script which does the actual work: echo "$j" && nawk -v stat=$2 'NR==FNR &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not getting array in .awk file and print it

I have test.sh file as below : set -A IDARR $ID echo | awk -f test.awk -v TempArr="${IDARR }" I have test.awk file as below : BEGIN { Flag = 1; } { print "Hello"; for(i in TempArr) { print i; } } (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nes
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print to file

I have a big c file that gives a lot of output that I don't care about right now. I wrote this awk script to do mostly what I want. Not sure how to put the finishing touches on it. I would also like it to write to a file when it gets the appropriate condition as true. Is this possible with awk? Or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print even fields of file

Hello: I want to print out the even number of fields plus the first column as row identifiers. input.txt ID X1 ID X2 ID X3 ID X4 A 700 A 1200 A 400 A 1300 B 2000 B 1000 B 2000 B 600 C 1400 C 200 C 1000 C 1200 D 1300 D 500 D 600 D 200and the output is: output.txt ID X1 X2 X3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use while loop to read file and use ${file} for both filename input into awk and as string to print

I have files named with different prefixes. From each I want to extract the first line containing a specific string, and then print that line along with the prefix. I've tried to do this with a while loop, but instead of printing the prefix I print the first line of the file twice. Files:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies
CRMADMIN(8)							  [FIXME: manual]						       CRMADMIN(8)

NAME
crmadmin - control the Cluster Resource Manager SYNOPSIS
crmadmin [-V|-q] [-i|-d|-K|-S|-E] node crmadmin [-V|-q] -N -B crmadmin [-V|-q] -D crmadmin -v crmadmin -? DESCRIPTION
crmadmin was originally designed to control most of the actions of the CRM daemon. However, the largest part of its functionality has been made obsolete by other tools, such as crm_attribute and crm_resource. Its remaining functionality is mostly related to testing and the status of the crmd process. Warning Some crmadmin options are geared towards testing and cause trouble if used incorrectly. In particular, do not use the --kill or --election options unless you know exactly what you are doing. OPTIONS
--help, -? Print the help text. --version, -v Print version details for HA, CRM, and CIB feature set. --verbose, -V Turn on command debug information. Note Increase the level of verbosity by providing additional instances. --quiet, -q Do not provide any debug information at all and reduce the output to a minimum. --bash-export, -B Create bash export entries of the form export uname=uuid. This applies only to the crmadmin -N node command. Note The -B functionality is rarely useful and may be removed in future versions. COMMANDS
--debug_inc node, -i node Increment the CRM daemon's debug level on the specified node. This can also be achieved by sending the USR1 signal to the crmd process. --debug_dec node, -d node Decrement the CRM daemon's debug level on the specified node. This can also be achieved by sending the USR2 signal to the crmd process. --kill node, -K node Shut down the CRM daemon on the specified node. Warning Use this with extreme caution. This action should normally only be issued by Heartbeat and may have unintended side effects. --status node, -S node Query the status of the CRM daemon on the specified node. The output includes a general heath indicator and the internal FSM state of the crmd process. This can be helpful when determining what the cluster is doing. --election node, -E node Initiate an election from the specified node. Warning Use this with extreme caution. This action is normally initiated internally and may have unintended side effects. --dc_lookup, -D Query the uname of the current DC. The location of the DC is only of significance to the crmd internally and is rarely useful to administrators except when deciding on which node to examine the logs. --nodes, -N Query the uname of all member nodes. The results of this query may include nodes in offline mode. Note The -i, -d, -K, and -E options are rarely used and may be removed in future versions. SEE ALSO
???, ??? AUTHOR
crmadmin was written by Andrew Beekhof. [FIXME: source] 07/05/2010 CRMADMIN(8)