Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Kernel module - How to test if file doesn't exist Post 302501366 by disaster on Thursday 3rd of March 2011 10:57:27 AM
Old 03-03-2011
Code:
#include <linux/kernel.h>
#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/init.h>
#include <linux/elf.h>
#include <linux/fs.h>
#include <linux/slab.h>
#include <linux/binfmts.h>

#define PRINT(x) printk(KERN_INFO x "\n")
#define BSIGN_SIGTYPE 0x80736967    /* ((0x80 << 24)|('s' << 16)|('i' << 8)|'g') */

void readElf(struct elfhdr *elf_Head, Elf32_Shdr *elf_Section) {
    int i = 0;
    char *test;
    // Find Signature
    while(i < elf_Head->e_shnum && 
        elf_Section[i].sh_type != BSIGN_SIGTYPE) {
        printk(KERN_INFO "Sec: %d / %x -- BSIGN_SIGTYPE", i,  elf_Section[i].sh_type);
        i++;
    }
    if(i < elf_Head->e_shnum) {
        PRINT("Signatur gefunden");
        printk(KERN_INFO "Name: und Type:\n %x \n %x", elf_Section[i].sh_name,
            elf_Section[i].sh_type);
        printk(KERN_INFO "%s\n", test);
            return;
    }

PRINT("NIX GEFUNDEN");
}

void openFile(void) {
    char *buf;
    int cnt, tmp;
    unsigned long off;
    struct elfhdr elfH;
    Elf32_Shdr *elfSec;
    struct file *fp;
    fp = filp_open("/home/chris/Test/test", O_RDONLY, 0);

if(fp == (void *)0L) {
        PRINT("FILE NICHT DA");
        return;
    }

if(fp->f_dentry == (void *)0L) {
        PRINT("F_DENTRY NICHT DA");
        return;
    }

if(!fp->f_dentry->d_name.name) {
        PRINT("F_DENTRY NICHT DA");
        return;
    }

printk(KERN_INFO "FILENAME: %s\n", fp->f_dentry->d_name.name);

if(!(buf = kmalloc(BINPRM_BUF_SIZE, GFP_KERNEL))) {
        PRINT("KMALLOC");
        return;
    }

tmp = kernel_read(fp, 0, buf, BINPRM_BUF_SIZE);
    elfH = *((struct elfhdr *) buf);
    printk(KERN_INFO "kernel read: %d \n", tmp);

cnt = elfH.e_shnum * sizeof(Elf32_Shdr);
    if(!(elfSec = (Elf32_Shdr *) kmalloc(cnt, GFP_KERNEL))) {
        PRINT("KMALLOC2");
        kfree(buf);
        return;
    }

readElf(&elfH, elfSec);
    kfree(elfSec);
}

static int __init testIntro(void) {
    printk(KERN_INFO "elfStart\n");
    openFile();
    return 0;
}

static void __exit testOutro(void) {
    printk(KERN_INFO "Closing down\n");
}

module_init(testIntro);
module_exit(testOutro);

Goal of this program is to run through all the section headers of the ELF-file and check whether one sh_type matches the type defined above. readElf is not working right, but it isn't crashing and therefore don't want to bore you with that Smilie
kernel_read is a kernel function.
And there are no other messages except the ones I put out until it crashes (which produces the already posted message)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

max number of slabs per kernel module (kernel 2.6.17, suse)

Hi All, Is there a max number of slabs that can be used per kernel module? I'm having a tough time finding out that kind of information, but the array 'node_zonelists' (mmzone.h) has a size of 5. I just want to avoid buffer overruns and other bad stuff. Cheers, Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brendan Kennedy
4 Replies

2. Linux

How to convert Linux Kernel built-in module into a loadable module

Hi all, I am working on USB data monitoring on Fedora Core 9. Kernel 2.6.25 has a built-in module (the one that isn't loadable, but compiles and links statically with the kernel during compilation) to snoop USB data. It is in <kernel_source_code>/drivers/usb/mon/. I need to know if I can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anitemp
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp mget where file doesn't exist BASH

I have a script that is working: #!/bin/bash sftp user@domain.com <<EOF cd somedir mget *.csv quit EOF but on a crontab I want to only pull newer files, so I want to do something like: while read ls current dir local file != true do mget that new file but I'm not sure the syntax... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exist test

Can someone please shed light on why this may not be working, file does exist, but I get an error if ] then echo "No ${source_path}/${file_mask} found - ">> ${logfile} result=1 check_result ${result} "Failed to find file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pokermad
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ln -s creates symlink in symlink, if [ -f ... ] says file that exists doesn't exist

Hi Forums, I got a little problem, I made a few modifications to the code of the launch script of a testing server(minecraft) and now updating is broken aswell as the automatic directory creation. These Lines somehow create an endless symlink that refers to itself and I don't know how to fix... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xaymar
0 Replies

6. Solaris

User directory doesn't exist

Hii all, i create the user useradd -d /home/kk kk passwd kk when i tried to login to kk i get a error user directory doesn't exist then i tried useradd kkk passwd kkkwhen i tried to login to kkk i get the same error user directory doesn't exist. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipinkumarr89
4 Replies

7. Programming

Kernel module - Check whether file (/dev node) exists

Hi, I'm pretty new to kernel coding and I'm working on a device driver that works with an existing framework. Basically my module will be loaded/unloaded multiple times and I'd like to create a register a class, driver, and create a /dev node on the first load only. The existing framework... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThomasBrez
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

9. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Group Doesn't Exist

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I'm able to create a group but when I'm trying to delete the group it keeps stating Group Doesn't Exist. I know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
2 Replies
SYSLOG(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SYSLOG(2)

NAME
syslog, klogctl - read and/or clear kernel message ring buffer; set console_loglevel SYNOPSIS
/* The glibc interface */ #include <sys/klog.h> int klogctl(int type, char *bufp, int len); /* The handcrafted system call */ #include <unistd.h> #include <linux/unistd.h> _syscall3(int, syslog, int, type, char *, bufp, int, len); int syslog(int type, char *bufp, int len); DESCRIPTION
If you need the libc function syslog(), (that talks to syslogd(8)), then look at syslog(3). The system call of this name is about control- ling the kernel printk() buffer, and the glibc version is called klogctl(). The type argument determines the action taken by this function. Quoting from kernel/printk.c: /* * Commands to sys_syslog: * * 0 -- Close the log. Currently a NOP. * 1 -- Open the log. Currently a NOP. * 2 -- Read from the log. * 3 -- Read up to the last 4k of messages in the ring buffer. * 4 -- Read and clear last 4k of messages in the ring buffer * 5 -- Clear ring buffer. * 6 -- Disable printk's to console * 7 -- Enable printk's to console * 8 -- Set level of messages printed to console */ Only function 3 is allowed to non-root processes. The kernel log buffer The kernel has a cyclic buffer of length LOG_BUF_LEN (4096, since 1.3.54: 8192, since 2.1.113: 16384) in which messages given as argument to the kernel function printk() are stored (regardless of their loglevel). The call syslog (2,buf,len) waits until this kernel log buffer is nonempty, and then reads at most len bytes into the buffer buf. It returns the number of bytes read. Bytes read from the log disappear from the log buffer: the information can only be read once. This is the function executed by the kernel when a user program reads /proc/kmsg. The call syslog (3,buf,len) will read the last len bytes from the log buffer (nondestructively), but will not read more than was written into the buffer since the last `clear ring buffer' command (which does not clear the buffer at all). It returns the number of bytes read. The call syslog (4,buf,len) does precisely the same, but also executes the `clear ring buffer' command. The call syslog (5,dummy,idummy) only executes the `clear ring buffer' command. The loglevel The kernel routine printk() will only print a message on the console, if it has a loglevel less than the value of the variable con- sole_loglevel (initially DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL (7), but set to 10 if the kernel commandline contains the word `debug', and to 15 in case of a kernel fault - the 10 and 15 are just silly, and equivalent to 8). This variable is set (to a value in the range 1-8) by the call syslog (8,dummy,value). The calls syslog (type,dummy,idummy) with type equal to 6 or 7, set it to 1 (kernel panics only) or 7 (all except debugging messages), respectively. Every text line in a message has its own loglevel. This level is DEFAULT_MESSAGE_LOGLEVEL - 1 (6) unless the line starts with <d> where d is a digit in the range 1-7, in which case the level is d. The conventional meaning of the loglevel is defined in <linux/kernel.h> as fol- lows: #define KERN_EMERG "<0>" /* system is unusable */ #define KERN_ALERT "<1>" /* action must be taken immediately */ #define KERN_CRIT "<2>" /* critical conditions */ #define KERN_ERR "<3>" /* error conditions */ #define KERN_WARNING "<4>" /* warning conditions */ #define KERN_NOTICE "<5>" /* normal but significant condition */ #define KERN_INFO "<6>" /* informational */ #define KERN_DEBUG "<7>" /* debug-level messages */ RETURN VALUE
In case of error, -1 is returned, and errno is set. Otherwise, for type equal to 2, 3 or 4, syslog() returns the number of bytes read, and otherwise 0. ERRORS
EPERM An attempt was made to change console_loglevel or clear the kernel message ring buffer by a process without root permissions. EINVAL Bad parameters. ERESTARTSYS System call was interrupted by a signal - nothing was read. (This can be seen only during a trace.) CONFORMING TO
This system call is Linux specific and should not be used in programs intended to be portable. NOTES
From the very start people noted that it is unfortunate that kernel call and library routine of the same name are entirely different ani- mals. In libc4 and libc5 the number of this call was defined by SYS_klog. In glibc 2.0 the syscall is baptised klogctl. SEE ALSO
syslog(3) Linux 1.2.9 2001-11-25 SYSLOG(2)