Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to change default log location of SMF registered processes. Post 302500650 by hergp on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 07:24:47 AM
Old 03-01-2011
Again, you cannot change the location.

By renaming the FMRI (svccfg delete + svccfg import) you can only influence the name of the file, not it's location. And changing a solaris service in any way can mess up things greatly. Don't do it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

I need to change the location of a netbackup installation

Can anyone tell me how I can change the default location for a netbackup installation to another location on my box? The default location is too small and I want to install in another location that has the adequate space. The Netbackup user manual is USELESS!!:mad::mad: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: impunchdrunk
3 Replies

2. Infrastructure Monitoring

Need to kill processes from a specific location

Hi, I need to kill processes from a specific location for Linux, HP, AIX and Solaris. My problem is to be able to identify the location of the running processes. I've tried with a simple "ps -fu username | grep mylocation" but if the process command has been run directly from the location,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

auto change filemanager folder colors dependent on location in directory hierarchy

Hello, Is it possible to make a file manager use different "colored folders" when browsing specific directories? For example, if I open a gnome file manager and browse my windows share at, smb://192.168.1.101/z/ , can I make those folders appear green? And when I open another instance of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bz43
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Capture child processes and change return values question

Thanks in advance. My environment is Ubuntu 9.04 desktop customized to be a high school classroom server for teaching code development. I have a unique "fake" jail called "lshell" which is very easy to setup and restricts users to commands that I dictate DISALLOWING ANYTHING ELSE. These... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxhats
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Permission denied in SMF service log

I can't get the exact error message because I am at home, but on Solaris 10u5 machine I have at work, a few services are stuck in the maintenance state with the following error message in the individual service logs (/var/svc/log/FMRI:instance.log): Cannot chdir: permission denied Fortunately... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
2 Replies

6. Solaris

removing associated processes from a SMF service

I'm running Tibco Hawk (hawkhma and agent) on a number of solaris 10 boxes (both x86 and Sparc). Tibco Hawk is a monitoring system, that can monitor processs and logs on the OS and applications. It also have the ability to start a process, if it for some reason, have died. I have implemented... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u_paludan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

avahi , change the log location

avahi error message goes to /var/log/messages , how can put avahi to log the error in a file /var/log/avahi-error instead of /var/log/messages (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 massive SMF log file

I found that there was a SMF log file: /var/svc/log/milestone-multi-user-server:default.log.0 which occupied around 19G bytes. Please help me how to purge this massive file. Can I just use cat /dev/null > /var/svc/log/milesto..... to this file without any interruption to a non-stop system?... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlexLi
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to change the path location within the shell script?

Hi ALL, I am trying to find the installed tomcat version and location of the server.xml file to get the tomcat port number. Using below script to do that. #!/usr/bin/env bash var1=$(find / -name "version.sh" ! -size 0 2>&1 |egrep -v "tmp|docker") for loc1 in $var1 do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravani25
1 Replies
smf_bootstrap(5)					Standards, Environments, and Macros					  smf_bootstrap(5)

NAME
smf_bootstrap - service management facility boot, packaging, and compatibility behavior DESCRIPTION
The service management facility establishes conventions for delivering service manifests, incorporating service manifest changes, describ- ing service configuration stability, using service configuration overrides, and the use of service profiles. Manifest Loading at Boot The svc:/system/manifest-import:default service uses svccfg(1M) to import certain manifest files from the /var/svc/manifest directory tree into the service configuration repository. The service imports files that it has not imported previously and those files which have changed since the last time they were imported by the service. When a manifest is imported by the service, a hash of the file that includes its contents is recorded in a property group of the svc:/smf/manifest service. The manifest-import service uses the hash to determine whether the file has changed. See svccfg(1M) for information on the svccfg import behavior for services that already exist in the repository. Manifest Handling During Packaging Operations Service manifests within packages should be identified with the class manifest. Class action scripts that install and remove service mani- fests are included in the packaging subsystem. When pkgadd(1M) is invoked, the service manifest is imported. When pkgrm(1M) is invoked, instances in the manifest that are disabled are deleted. Instances in the manifest that are online or degraded are disabled first and then deleted. Any services in the manifest with no remaining instances are also deleted. If the -R option is supplied to pkgadd(1M) or pkgrm(1M), the actions described in this section will be done when the system is next rebooted with that alternate root path. Stability Declarations Each service group and each property group delivered in a manifest should declare a stability level based on attributes(5) definitions. With knowledge of the stability level, an application developer can determine the likelihood that feature development based on the exis- tence or components of a service or object is likely to remain functional across a release boundary. In an smf(5) context, the stability value also identifies the expected scope of the changes to properties within the property group across a release boundary for the service, which can include patches for that service. The following two sections discuss this in more detail. Property Overrides The service_bundle(4) document type definition includes an override attribute that is applicable to each property in a service manifest. If set to true, the attribute instructs svccfg(1M) and other manifest import tools to replace the current value of a property in the reposi- tory with the one from the manifest. If the override attribute is absent or present but set to false, the current value in the repository is preserved. Property groups declared as Stable do not contain override attributes on enclosed properties. Property groups declared as Evolving do so only to correct an erroneous setting. Property groups declared as Unstable can contain overrides on any property. The exception to this behavior is for the stability property itself, which can be modified to identify incipient change to the interface presented by the ser- vice. Property Group Deletion The service_bundle(4) document type definition includes a delete attribute, applicable to each property group in a service manifest. If set to true, the delete attribute instructs svccfg(1M) and other manifest import tools to delete this property group from the repository. If the delete attribute is absent or present but set to false, the property group in the repository is preserved. Property groups declared as Stable or Evolving are not deleted. Property groups declared as Unstable can be deleted across any release boundary. Profile Application The first time the existence of each of the three service profiles listed below is detected, svc.startd(1M) automatically applies the pro- file. /var/svc/profile/generic.xml /var/svc/profile/platform.xml /var/svc/profile/site.xml The svc:/smf/manifest service is used in a similar fashion. Additional service profiles that characterize the activation of various groups of service instances might be present in /var/svc/profile. None of the /var/svc/profile profiles are automatically applied to the repository. A profile can be manually applied or re-applied using svccfg(1M). SEE ALSO
pkgadd(1M), pkgrm(1M), svcadm(1M), svccfg(1M), svc.startd(1M), libscf(3LIB), service_bundle(4), attributes(5), smf(5), smf_security(5) NOTES
The present version of smf(5) does not support multiple repositories. SunOS 5.11 25 Sep 2008 smf_bootstrap(5)