Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users kill process owned by another user Post 302500597 by lhareigh890 on Tuesday 1st of March 2011 04:19:34 AM
Old 03-01-2011
actually I will not allow them to use sudo or switch to root. they are only common users which I created to replace the generic ID.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete everything owned bya particular user?

Hi I am an Oracle DBA and I want to delete everything owned byOracle on the AIX server. What command would do that? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarangishere
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to kill a process initiated by other user at the same group

Hey I'm writing a script that creates some processes,and some scripts which kill those processes. the question is Simply: How can I allow a group members to be able to kill (using kill command) processes created by other user at the same group? and i need the change to be at the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Dark Knight
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab or looping script to Kill process from user

I am looking for a way to kill 2 processes from a user through some kind of script. Using an oracle script, I get two process ids that need to be killed. SQL> select ssn.process as client_process_id, pcs.spid as oracle_process_id, ssn.sid, ssn.serial# 2 from v$session ssn inner join... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meert
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to kill all the netscape process of a particular user?

how to kill all the "netsacpe" processes of a particular user? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthi_g
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill Process not owned by other user

Hi Here is my problem: 1)I am login to unix server through my login id and do SU - xxx 2) Start the script which is running in background I want that other user which login to there id and do SU - yyy(Different user) kill that script. Could you please help me in this. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_harish80
9 Replies

6. Solaris

fbconsole process owned by user

I did a ps-ef on a host and discovered many /usr/openwin/bin/fbconsole processes running. They were owned by several users and its parent PID in etc/init. I bellieve that this process should be owned by root and not the user, and also the parent PID should be the dtlogin. Any ideas of how this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amp4cats
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill all process of Oracle user

Hi folks, I want to kill all process of oracle user and won't kill shell, should i try this? Please confirm. 1st way pgrep -u oracle | sudo xargs kill -9 2nd way killall -u oracle (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete everything owned by a particular user

I want to delete all files and folders owned a user say abcuser in the folder /tmp . Can you please give me the command ? Thanks Matt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Solaris, grant user to kill another process

the task is grant user1 to kill another (for example user2) process. My steps: by root: usermod -P "Process Management" user1 login user1 user1@server (~) pfexec kill <PID> the result is: ksh: <PID>: not found or user1@server (~) pfexec pkill <PID> the result: nothing happens, still... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsyberia
0 Replies
kill(2) 							System Calls Manual							   kill(2)

NAME
kill(), raise() - send a signal to a process or a group of processes SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system call sends a signal to a process or a group of processes, as specified by pid. The signal to be sent is specified by sig and is either one from the list given in or The system call sends a signal to the executing process or thread. The signal to be sent is specified by sig and is either one from the list given in or In a single-threaded process the effect of the function is equivalent to calling When used in a multithreaded program, the function sends the signal specified by sig to the executing thread. The effect of the function is equivalent to calling If sig is (the null signal), error checking is performed but no signal is actually sent. This can be used to check the validity of pid. The real or effective user ID of the sending process must match the real or saved user ID of the receiving process unless the sending process has appropriate privileges. As a single special case, the continue signal can be sent to any process that is a member of the same session as the sending process. The value is defined in the file and is guaranteed not to be the ID of any process in the system or the negation of the ID of any process in the system. If pid is greater than zero and not equal to sig is sent to the process whose process ID is equal to pid. pid can equal unless sig is or If pid is sig is sent to all processes excluding special system processes whose process group ID is equal to the process group ID of the sender. If pid is and the sending process does not have the appropriate privileges, sig is sent to all processes excluding special system processes whose real or saved user ID is equal to the real or effective user ID of the sender. If pid is and the effective user ID of the sender is a user who has appropriate privileges, sig is sent to all processes excluding special system processes. If pid is behaves much as when pid is equal to except that sig is not sent to the calling process. If pid is negative but not or sig is sent to all processes (excluding special system processes) whose process group ID is equal to the absolute value of pid, and whose real and/or effective user ID meets the constraints described above for matching user IDs. Security Restrictions Some or all of the actions associated with this system call are subject to compartmental restrictions. See compartments(5) for more infor- mation about compartmentalization on systems that support that feature. Compartmental restrictions can be overridden if the process pos- sesses the privilege (COMMALLOWED). Processes owned by the superuser may not have this privilege. Processes owned by any user may have this privilege, depending on system configuration. Some or all of the actions associated with this system call require the (OWNER) and/or the (REBOOT) privileges. Processes owned by the superuser will have these privileges. Processes owned by other users may have privilege(s), depending on system configuration. See privi- leges(5) for more information about privileged access on systems that support fine-grained privileges. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, a value of is returned. Otherwise, a value of is returned and is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If fails, no signal is sent. is set to one of the following values. sig is neither a valid signal number nor zero. sig is or and pid is that of the initialization process (also known as The user ID of the sending process is not a user who has appropriate privileges and its real or effective user ID does not match the real or saved user ID of the receiving process. The sending and receiving processes are not in the same session and the real or effective user ID does not match the real or saved user ID of the receiving process. No process or process group can be found corresponding to that specified by pid. If fails, no signal is sent. is set to the following value. sig is neither a valid signal number nor zero. APPLICATION USAGE
Threads Considerations can be used to post signals to another process but cannot be used to post signals to a specific thread in another process. For information on posting signals to specific threads within the same process, see pthread_kill(3T). LWP (Lightweight Processes) Considerations Signals cannot be posted to specific LWPs in another process. AUTHOR
was developed by HP, AT&T, and the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
kill(1), getpid(2), setsid(2), signal(2), sigqueue(2), pthread_kill(3T). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
kill(2)