Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Specific file list to be zip
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Specific file list to be zip Post 302500259 by jagkoth on Monday 28th of February 2011 05:05:56 AM
Old 02-28-2011
not all the files only that specific files to be zip. say for e.g. If i zip that 5 files next time if i ran the script it will zip the next five files

---------- Post updated at 05:05 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:54 AM ----------

rdcwyx - First time it works. If I run the same command next time its not compressing the next 5 files. please see the error:

Code:
# ls -r ab_xxxxxx.20*|grep -v gz |sed -n '11,$p' |xargs gzip
gzip: compressed data not written to a terminal. Use -f to force compression.
For help, type: gzip -h

Last edited by jagkoth; 02-28-2011 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is extracting specific files from a zip file possible?

If a zip file contains several zip files, but if the file names of the files needed are known, is there a variation of the unzip command that will allow those few (individual) files to be extracted? --- Example: Zip file name: zip.zip unzip -l zip.zip will display file01, file02, file03, etc.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unzip .zip file and list the files included in the .zip archive

Hello, I am trying to return the name of the resulting file from a .zip archive file using unix unzip command. unzip c07212007.cef7081.zip Archive: c07212007.cef7081.zip SecureZIP for z/OS by PKWARE inflating: CEP/CEM7080/PPVBILL/PASS/G0063V00 I used the following command to unzip in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracledev
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read specific file from a zip archive without extracting

Hi All, I would like to extract specific file from a zip archive. I have a zip archive "sample.zip". sample.zip contains few text files and images... text1.txt, text2.txt, pic.jpg etc... I need to read specific file "text2.txt" from "sample.zip" WITHOUT EXTRACTING the zip file. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridharg
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching a string (zip code) from a list in a separate file

I have a list of postal addresses and I need to pull the records that match a list of zip codes in a separate file. The postal addresses are fixed width. The zip code is located in character position 149-157. Something better than: cat postalfile.txt | grep -f zipcodes.txt would be great. $... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sitney
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip file with specific name

Hi, How could compress a file with a specific name. For example if I put the following: gzip -f file.dat I compressed it with the same file name to compress, "file.dat.gz". How could compress it with the name I want for example test.gz. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pepeli30
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zip a list of specific files to an archive

Hi all, i've got the following problem: We've got a shell-script, that creates some different files based on several criteria given, using a sql-script. After creating, those files are individually zipped and stored, then sent to a ftp-server. This is all working since 2010, but now they have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Biggreuda
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all the files under a specific directory and zip them into a single file.

Hi, Is there a way to find all the files from a specific location and then zip them into a single file, even if they are in multiple directories? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uncompressing .zip file specific directory Fedora 14

Hello, I have Fedora 14 installed on my machine I have a .zip file ( some latex package) which I want to unzip to some location in the Latex paths /usr/share.../texmf/.. so I went to super user mode, created the directory for this package over there, mkdir logo and tried... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajayram
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can we Zip multiple files created on the same date into one single zip file.?

Hi all i am very new to shell scripting and need some help from you to learn 1)i have some log files that gets generated on daily basis example: i have abc_2017_01_30_1.log ,2017_01_30_2.log like wise so i want to zip this 4 logs which are created on same date into one zip folder. 2)Post zipping... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: b.saipriyanka
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can we Zip multiple files created on the same date into one single zip file.?

Hi all i am very new to shell scripting and need some help from you to learn 1)i have some log files that gets generated on daily basis example: i have abc_2017_01_30_1.log ,2017_01_30_2.log like wise so i want to zip this 4 logs which are created on same date into one zip folder. 2)Post zipping... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b.saipriyanka
1 Replies
ZIPMERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ZIPMERGE(1)

NAME
zipmerge - merge zip archives SYNOPSIS
zipmerge [-DhIiSsV] target-zip source-zip Op source-zip ... DESCRIPTION
zipmerge merges the source zip archives source-zip into the target zip archive target-zip. By default, files in the source zip archives overwrite existing files of the same name in the target zip archive. Supported options: -D Ignore directory components in file name comparisons. -h Display a short help message and exit. -I Ignore case in file name comparisons -i Ask before overwriting files. See also -s. -S Do not overwrite files that have the same size and CRC32 in both the source and target archives. -s When -i is given, do not before overwriting files that have the same size and CRC32. -V Display version information and exit. EXIT STATUS
zipmerge exits 0 on success and 1 if an error occurred. SEE ALSO
zipcmp(1), ziptorrent(1), libzip(3) AUTHORS
Dieter Baron <dillo@giga.or.at> and Thomas Klausner <tk@giga.or.at> NiH June 4, 2008 ZIPMERGE(1)