Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users use a word as a delimiter with cut Post 302500230 by kurumi on Monday 28th of February 2011 02:50:07 AM
Old 02-28-2011
Code:
$ echo "onewordtwowordthreewordfour" | ruby -F"word" -ane  'puts $F'
one
two
three
four

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

\r as delimiter in cut

I need to use \r as a delimiter in the -d option of the cut comand . Any help ? Thanks in advance . SD (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shweta_d
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Number which appear before a delimiter

Hi All, How can i use the cut option to only output the number of rows, which is 2 is this case ? Pls note that the number of digit before the delimiter ":" is always varying. $ grep -n uuu xxx 2:** xxx yyy gg 44 tt uuu 2007 $ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem Using Cut With A Space Delimiter

I am trying to extract 'postmaster' from the following string: PenaltyError:=554 5.7.1 Error, send your mail to postmaster@LOCALDOMAIN using the following command: cat /usr/share/assp/assp.cfg | grep ^PenaltyError:= | cut -d '@' -f1 | cut -f8 but it returns: PenaltyError:=554 5.7.1 Error,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleanden
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

CUT command delimiter in reverse

Hi, I've a situation where, a=xxx.yyy.zzz.txt EXTN=`echo $a | cut -d . -f2` Using the above code it delimites and will return "yyy.zzz.txt" to EXTN. But i need to get only the extension "txt". so as per the above code it delimits in the first "." itself. Can anyone help how to do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skcvasanth
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut -d with more than 1 delimiter?

I need to cut or otherwise get the 4th and 5th position output of for i in `date +%H` ; do vnstat --dumpdb | grep "h;$i" ; done example output is: h;13;1310318701;443;93 I only need ";443;93" from any given run of "for i in `date +%H` ; do vnstat --dumpdb | grep "h;$i" ; done" Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut columns with delimiter

HI, I have a file like below "103865","103835","Zming","","Zhu","103965","Sunnyvale","US", "116228","116227","Morlla","","Kowalski","113228","Paese "(Treviso)""IT" I want to validate the 7th column which is below. "Sunnyvale" "Paese In the above 7th column Paese is not ended with... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut all string after the last delimiter?

hi all, suppose a string: abc/def/ghi/jkl/mn.txt and i want to get the file name without the path. however, different files have different paths, therefore the number of delimiter is uncertain. thanks so much! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnydanniel
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut by delimiter, and delimiter can be anything except numbers?

Hi all, I have a number of strings like below: //mnt/autocor/43°13'(33")W/ and i'm trying to get the numbers in this string, for example 431333 please help thanks ahead (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnydanniel
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut delimiter and save

i have list of names in a text file and I wanted to delete the commas en every line. for example: inside the text is a list of names in it with commas after each line. I wanted to delete these commas. which command must I execute for this? unix, dale, shawn, aaron, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garfish
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut cmd with delimiter as |#|

Hi All- We have a file data as below with delimiter as |#| 10|#|20|#|ABC 13|#|23|#|PBC If I want to cut the 2nd field out of this, below command is not working as multiple pipe is causing an issue , it seems cut -f2 -d"|#|" <file_name> can you please help to provide the correct command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
7 Replies
RUBY-SWITCH(1)															    RUBY-SWITCH(1)

NAME
ruby-switch - switch between different Ruby interpreters USAGE
ruby-switch --list ruby-switch --check ruby-switch --set RUBYVERSION ruby-switch --auto DESCRIPTION
ruby-switch can be used to easily switch to different Ruby interpreters as the default system-wide interpreter for your Debian system. When run with --list, all supported Ruby interpreters are listed. When --check is passed, ruby-switch will check which Ruby interpreter is currently being used. If the settings are inconsistent -- e.g. `ruby` is Ruby 1.8 and `gem` is using Ruby 1.9.1, ruby-switch will issue a big warning. When --set RUBYINTERPRETER is used ruby-switch will switch your system to the corresponding Ruby interpreter. This includes, for example, the default implementations for the following programs: ruby, gem, irb, erb, testrb, rdoc, ri. ruby-switch --set auto will make your system use the default Ruby interpreter currently suggested by Debian. OPTIONS
-h, --help Displays the help and exits. A NOTE ON RUBY 1.9.x Ruby uses two parallel versioning schemes: the `Ruby library compatibility version' (1.9.1 at the time of writing this), which is similar to a library SONAME, and the `Ruby version' (1.9.3 is about to be released at the time of writing). Ruby packages in Debian are named using the Ruby library compatibility version, which is sometimes confusing for users who do not follow Ruby development closely. ruby-switch also uses the Ruby library compatibility version, so specifying `ruby1.9.1' might give you Ruby with version 1.9.2, or with version 1.9.3, depending on the current Ruby version of the `ruby1.9.1' package. COPYRIGHT AND AUTHORS
Copyright (c) 2011, Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org> This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>. 2011-11-20 RUBY-SWITCH(1)