Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming sed no match word end with hyphen Post 302500002 by medium_linux on Saturday 26th of February 2011 04:57:54 AM
Old 02-26-2011
Thank You!
Sorry for being unclear!
What I wanted to do, is change a style.css file by modify only specific lines in the file
Code:
sed -n '/^ [^-]*height/p' file1>file2 #without dot worked

awk '/[^-]height/{sub(/[0-9]*px/,"40px")}1' file2 # Very elegant solution. Did exactly what I wanted.

Thank You very much! Smilie

Last edited by Scott; 02-26-2011 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed : identify a pattern and append a word at the end of a line

Hello to all, On aix, I want to identify a term on a line in a file and then add a word at the end of the line identified. I do not want the word to be added when the line contains the symbol "#". I use the following command, but it deletes the term identified then adds the word. #sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print from last occurrence match until the end of file

Hi, i have file f1.txt with data like: CHECK a b CHECK c d CHECK e f JOB_START .... I want to match the last occurrence of 'CHECK' until the end of the file. I can use awk: awk '/^CHECK/ { buf = "" } { buf = buf "\n" $0 } END { print buf }' f1.txt | tail +2Is there a cleaner way of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - extracting the first word only if match

Hello. from a text file, I want to get only the first word ( before blank ) following code= grep -i -e "WORD1" "/path/to/text/file.txt | sed -n 's/WORD1\+//p' | sed -n 's/code=/\1/p' return an error. sed: -e expression #1, char 12: invalid reference \1 on `s' command's RHSFor debugging... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing hyphen from beginning and end of a word only.

It is very simple to remove a hyphen from a word anywhere in that word using a simple sed command (sed -i 's/-//g' filename), but I am not able to figure out how to do this: For example, apple -orange tree pipe- banana-shake dupe- What my output should look like: apple orange tree... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - replacing a substring containing a hyphen

I'm attempting to replace a substring that contains a hyphen and not having much success, can anyone point out where i'm going wrong or suggest an alternative. # echo /var/lib/libvirt/images/vm888b-clone.qcow | sed -e 's|vm888-clone|qaz|g' /var/lib/libvirt/images/vm888b-clone.qcow (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: squrcles
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search from 1st match and end 2nd match

I've been looking through the forums for awhile now and looking at the man page for grep and egrep and not seeming to find this scenario so it might not be possible but figured I'd throw it out to get some ideas. I'm looking for a way to search a file for 1st match (example below net self) and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: djzah
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a hyphen between two delimiters using sed

Hey guys, I have a file that is delimited by | and I am trying to write a sed command to convert this: abc|def||ghi|jkl||||mnop into this: abc|def|-|ghi|jkl|-|-|-|mnop The output I am getting out of: sed -e "s/+//g" /tmp/opt.del > /tmp/opt2.del is like: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prohank
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print from last occurrence match until the end of last occurrence match

Hi, i have file file.txt with data like: START 03:11:30 a 03:11:40 b END START 03:13:30 eee 03:13:35 fff END jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj START 03:14:30 eee 03:15:30 fff END ggggggggggg iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii I want the below output START (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jyotshna
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to append word at end of line

hello Team, I am looking for sed command or script which will append word at end of line. for example. I want to validate particular filesystem with mount |<filesystem name> command. if nodev parameter is not there then it should add in the fstab file with receptive to the filesystem. # mount... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghpradeep
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed script to delete the last word after a last pattern match

Hi Guys , I am having a file as stated below File 1 sa0 -- i_core/i_core_apb/i_afe0_controller/U261/A sa0 -- i_core/i_core_apb/i_afe0_controller/U265/Z sa1 -- i_core/i_core_apb/i_afe0_controller/U265/A sa1 -- i_core/i_core_apb/i_afe0_controller/U268/Z sa1 -- ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
7 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

Name
       diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison

Syntax
       diff3 [-ex3] file1 file2 file3

Description
       The command compares three versions of a file, and publishes the ranges of text that disagree, flagged with the following codes:

====	      all three files differ

====1       file1 is different

====2       file2 is different

====3       file3 is different

The type of change needed to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways:

f : n1 a    Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3.

f : n1 , n2 c
		      Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2.  If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1.

The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication.  When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of
       the lower-numbered file is suppressed.

Options
       -3   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file1 and file2 that are to be incorporated into file3.

-e	   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file2 and file3 that are to be incorporated into file1.

-x	   Produces an editor script containing the changes among all three files.

Examples
       Under the -e option, publishes a script for the editor that incorporates into file1 all changes between file2 and  file3  -  that  is,  the
       changes	that would normally be flagged ==== and ====3.	Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3).
       The following command applies the resulting script to `file1':
       (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1

Restrictions
       Text lines that consist of a single `.'	defeat -e.

Files
       /tmp/d3?????
       /usr/lib/diff3

See Also
       cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), dffmk(1), join(1), sccsdiff(1), uniq(1)

diff3(1)