Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Zipped tar file is corrupt
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Zipped tar file is corrupt Post 302499586 by frank_rizzo on Thursday 24th of February 2011 08:16:50 PM
Old 02-24-2011
fyi - the correct term is compressed not zipped.

the third command should be
Code:
gzip list_engine_zip.tar

what do you mean by corrupt and that you cannot read it? please post the errors your getting
This User Gave Thanks to frank_rizzo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zipped or unzipped file

Is there a way you can tell if a file is still zipped or it's unzipped I have a file called ssss.zip and I would like to know if this file is still zipped or if it's unzipped? I'm on IBM AIX/RS6000 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ted
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search a pattern inside a zipped file ie (.gz file) with out unzipping it

How to search a pattern inside a zipped file ie (.gz file) with out unzipping it? using grep command.. Bit urgent.. pls..help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senraj01
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to check if file is zipped

I have a script that grabs files from directory , zips and moves them somewhere else. It works fine except the case when files it grabs are already zipped. Then it trys to zip it again which does not make sence. How can I check before zipping if file is already zipped? thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arushunter
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find a corrupt tar file

Hey there I am just looking for a way to find a corrupt tar file. I want to write a script to help sift through the 1000's of tar files we go through daily and move any corrupt ones to a different directory structure. Is there an easy way to do this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: car2nst2006
4 Replies

6. Solaris

How can I tell if a file is zipped or not?

SunOS xxxxxx 5.10 Generic_142900-15 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5240 We receive files that are sometimes zipped, but the file may not have the .gz or other extention that would indicated that the file is zipped. Is there a unix "test" command that I could use or something similar? Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] to view a zipped file

Hi, I'm having a file which doesn't have any extension like .gz or .tar But i belive it's a zipped file because it's a archive path, i tried to view the file through zcat but it's not working the below shown is the file name PCLI_INXSTATUS_DEFF_I2705541_110927014513 Thanks for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issue in extracting Tar and Zipped file.

Hi, I want to tar files and zip them in order to clean up space in directory. I have files like /path/file1 /path file2. What I am trying to do is: Option 1: tar -cvf /path/file1 /path file2 | gzip > test.tar.gz I got the file created. But while trying to extract the Tar and zipped file, I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Quesemail
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem extracting zipped tar file

I was extracting the zipped tar file with the command gzip -dc Sample.tar.gz |tar xf - The tar file contained many delimited files; but lately they changed the structure of the tar file with another folder. So now all the delimited files are inside a folder called "Folder1" and the folder... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asandy1234
6 Replies

10. Solaris

UNIX : how can I recover a corrupt tar file from a tape?

I've a tape contains a corrupt tar file. I'm using Unix SunOS 5.5.1. So when I run this command : dd if=/dev/rmt/0 of=/tmp/outputfile.tar I get this error message : warning /pci@1f, 0/pci@1/pci@1/sunw, isptwo@4/st@4,0 (sty): Error for command : read Error Level: Fatal Requested... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akaderb
2 Replies
ns_zlib(3aolserver)					     AOLserver Zlib Extension					       ns_zlib(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_zlib - Zlib compression support SYNOPSIS
ns_zlib compress string ns_zlib gunzip file ns_zlib gzip string ns_zlib gzipfile file ns_zlib uncompress string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The ns_zlib command enables compressing and uncompressing of strings or files. The command is available if the nszlib.so module is loaded into AOLserver or the libnszlib.so, nszlib.dll, or libnszlib.dylib dynamic library is loaded using the load command in a suitable tclsh such as nstclsh. ns_zlib compress string This command compresses the given string and returns a Tcl byte array object with the compressed data. ns_zlib gunzip file This command uncompresses the contents of the given gzipped file and returns a string as the result. ns_zlib gzipfile file This command is similar to the gzip shell routines, compressing the given file into a new file with the .gz extension. If success- ful, the original uncompressed file is deleted. ns_zlib uncompress bytearray This command takes a byte array object which includes compressed data and returns an uncompressed string object. EXAMPLES
The following examples demonstrate compressing and uncompressing a string; # Compress Tcl string set test "This is test string" set data [ns_zlib compress $test] set test [ns_zlib uncompress $data] --> returns "This is test string" # Compress the string into gzip format set gzip [ns_zlib gzip $test] # Save as gzip file set fd [open /tmp/test.gz w] fconfigure $fd -translation binary -encoding binary puts -nonewline $fd $gzip close $fd # Uncompress gzipped file set test [ns_zlib gunzip /tmp/test.gz] --> returns "This is test string" SEE ALSO
ns_adp_ctl(n), load(n) KEYWORDS
GZIP, compress, uncompress AOLserver 4.5 ns_zlib(3aolserver)