Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX VIOS IVM unavailable - how do I restart it? Post 302499219 by need2bageek on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 05:18:51 PM
Old 02-23-2011
VIOS IVM unavailable - how do I restart it?

Hi everyone,
Sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I searched the forums for "IVM" and it turned up no results. Hopefully someone knows about this. My dilemma is that I have multiple IBM JS12 Express blades in our blade center, each running VIOS 2.1.0.10-FP-20.1 and hosting a couple LPARs. Out of my 6 VIO servers, 3 of them have unavailable IVMs. The IVM (Integrated Virtualization Manager) is the web interface that comes up when you bring up http://<hostname> in a browser. On the 3 VIO servers experiencing this issue, I'm getting page cannot be displayed when going to the IVM. SSH works fine and I'm not finding any services stopped that should be running.

I don't know when or why the IVM has stopped working on half my VIO servers but I'd like to find a way to start the IVM without rebooting the blades. Reboots will surely fix this but will also cause production outages for the LPARs running on each blade - I'm trying to avoid that.

Has anyone dealt with this before? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by need2bageek; 02-23-2011 at 06:49 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

IVM vs. HMC woes

I have a running VIO server that was managed via IVM. We made the (apparent) mistake of trying to connect a HMC server to it. Other than making a connection, no work has been done via HMC. We've since decided we don't want to use HMC and it's been powered off for a couple of weeks. However,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjs226
1 Replies

2. AIX

how to use command line in IVM

I have a bladecenter and js22, how to login IVM's command line such as HMC command line? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

3. AIX

Cant login to the LPAR using IVM

Hi guys, I am kind of new to this PowerVM thing. I have created a virtual disk and partition. With the IVM, when I try to open terminal wndow, a virtual terminal appeared and ask for password. it says there: In order to acess the terminal, you must first authenticate with IVM Hostname... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wingcross
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fork: Resource temporarily unavailable , server unexpectedly unavailable network connection

Solaris 10 Server refuse to connect :wall: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable , server unexpectedly unavailable network connection , refuse error, disconnect message, fatal error type2, (protocol error type2) Issue has been resolved after taken few steps :b: First of all need to check... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: taherahmed
1 Replies

5. AIX

IVM

Can somebody help me on IVM? I have installed vio 2.2 on a js21 server. It has 2 physical ether ports, what I want to do is create ether channel say en15 and en16 are physical and en17 is ether channel. I have created 2 clients on this server, now the question is can I map this en17 to both... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vjm
1 Replies

6. AIX

VIOS IP address - separate vlan for vios servers ?

Hello, Lets say for simplicity that I do not use any vlan config inside my server - one lpar group use hea physical port1, another group hea physical port2. Physical port1 configured as vlan1 on external switch, physical port2 as vlan2. What is the common practice - should I isolate my vios... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
0 Replies

7. AIX

IBM VIOS POWERVM IVM error

Hi, When I try to login on my vios ivm website http://vios through the browser -- all three of them -- firefox , chrome , Internet Explorer , i get this error http://vioserver/j_security_check I have java installed on the machine from where i am trying to open up the IVM/VIOS webpage. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

8. AIX

CD-ROM issue with PowerVM IVM VIOS

I am facing problems in moving CD-ROM from one lpar to another. CDROM can be seen on the POWERVM (IVM) server , but through the web-access if I move it ( assign it ) to LPAR it will be assigned. I run cfgmgr , and the cdrom does not show up in the LPAR. I firmly believe this is the reason why I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX VIOS IVM Ethernet problem

Hi All, I have a p520 box running 3 LPARs, 1 x VIOS, 1 x AIX 6.1 and 1 x AIX 7.1 and no HMC, all configuration is performed via VIOS/IVM Until recently the box did not have the AIX7.1 LPAR and everything was fine with the box. We needed to use AIX 7.1 for a new project, so I created a... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: KevB
11 Replies

10. AIX

Powervm ivm vios

Hello, After installing on P6 which is POWERVM IVM VIOS enabled (VET CODE D21C77ACD9229817CA1F00002C10004164 ) i get this message "I/O hosting requires a hosting partition - boot not permitted". HMC was connected to the machine then HMC was removed through ASMI Searching on... (2 Replies)
2 Replies