Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing string with special characters in shell Post 302499130 by manish72 on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 09:48:18 AM
Old 02-23-2011
Replacing string with special characters in shell

Hi,

I am trying to replace a string in shell but it is not working correctly.

Code:
@xcom.file@

needs to be replaced with
Code:
tb137

Plz help.Thx.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use [code] and [/code] tags when posting code, data or logs etc. to preserve formatting and enhance readability, thanks.

Last edited by zaxxon; 02-23-2011 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing string with special character ???

the problem is while replacing the old string with new one with the help of SED i am unable to replace the special characters with new strings. how can i do that? i dont want the user to be given the trouble to write '\' before every special characters like * , . , \ , $ , &. sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imppayel
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add string after another string with special characters

Hello everyone, I'm writing a script to add a string to an XML file, right after a specified string that only occurs once in the file. For testing purposes I created a file 'testfile' that looks like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 6 7 8 9 And this is the script as far as I've managed: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heliode
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing French special characters

Hi, I have tonnes of .txt files that are written in French. I need to replace the French special characters, however, with English equivalents (e.g. é -> e and ç -> c). I have tried this --- #!/bin/bash # Convert French characters to normal characters # Treat each of the files exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BlueberryPickle
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on sed replacing special characters

Hello, I have a file with many lines with below format: \abc\\1234 jkl\\567 def\\345 \pqr\\567 \xyz\\234 Here, i need to do 2 things. 1. replace \\ with \ 2. remove starting \ so output to be as below: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
11 Replies

5. Programming

C++ Special Characters in a String?

Hello. How can i put all of the special characters on my keyboard into a string in c++ ? I tried this but it doesn't work. string characters("~`!@#$%^&*()_-+=|\}]{ How can i accomplish this? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbreiny
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove string between two special characters

Hi All, I have a variable like AVAIL="\ BACK:bkpstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:backtest|\ #AUTH:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ TEST:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ " What I want to do here is that If a find # before any entry, remove the entire string... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: engineermayur
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in replacing special characters

I am writing a ksh script. I need to replace a set of characters in an xml file. FROM="ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÛÚÜÝßàáâãäåçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö¿¶ø®"; TO="AAAAAAACEEEEIIIIDNOOOOOOUUUUYSaaaaaaceeeeiiiionooooo N R" I have used the code- sed 's/$FROM/$TO/g'<abc.xml But its not working. Can anyone tell me the code to do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saga20
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing valuses containig space and special characters

**Extremely sorry for the typos in heading Old:CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') New :CAST(CAST('${G_DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'MM-DD-YYYY') as DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') Need to change old format as new format cat file1 CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 100bees
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replacing string/special characters using a 'conversion' table

Hi, Does anyone know if there is a script or program available out there that uses a conversion table to replace special characters from a file? I am trying to remove some special characters from a file but there are several unprintable/control characters that some I need to remove but some I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any tip to replacing the special characters in a file

Hi, Please find attached a file that has special characters on it. It is a copy and paste from a Micro$oft file. I don't want to use strings as it remove all the 'indentations' / 'formatting' so I am replacing them with space instead. I am using the sed command below sed "s/$(printf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
term::ansi::code(n)						 Terminal control					       term::ansi::code(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
term::ansi::code - Helper for control sequences SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require term::ansi::code ?0.1? ::term::ansi::code::esc str ::term::ansi::code::escb str ::term::ansi::code::define name escape code ::term::ansi::code::const name code _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides commands enabling the definition of control sequences in an easy manner. ::term::ansi::code::esc str This command returns the argument string, prefixed with the ANSI escape character, "33." ::term::ansi::code::escb str This command returns the argument string, prefixed with a common ANSI escape sequence, "33[". ::term::ansi::code::define name escape code This command defines a procedure name which returns the control sequence code, beginning with the specified escape sequence, either esc, or escb. ::term::ansi::code::const name code This command defines a procedure name which returns the control sequence code. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category term of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
control, declare, define, terminal COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> term 0.1 term::ansi::code(n)