Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with /etc/services
Operating Systems AIX Help with /etc/services Post 302498778 by bakunin on Tuesday 22nd of February 2011 12:04:12 PM
Old 02-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross.mather
[...]that you need to disable a large number of ports in the /etc/services file[...]
I'm not sure if you, ross, meant it that way, but i would like to point out the following for clarification: the file /etc/services is just a translation device for port names to port numbers, similar to the /etc/hosts file, which translates host names to IP addresses. Its content is mostly derived from RFC1700.

Removing an entry there will in no way close or disable a certain port, just like removing an entry from /etc/hosts will not prevent communiaction with the mentioned host.

To disable communication via a certain port one will have to resort to some layer-4 filtering, i.e. firewalling: IPSec, iptables or something such.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

services

Hi, Is it possible to remove/disconnect a socket connection having a status of LISTEN, from command prompt..?? Thanks in Advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shibz
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ports and services

hello all, in order for me to close ports and remove services that could be a danger to my system i have edited the /etc/initd.conf file, /etc/system file, and renamed some of the r commands. However i wanted to know if anyone knows how to turn off all services and close ALL known ports, so i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Holistic
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

services

I have an application service running on an AIX server Client application is able to connect to the server machine. Strange thing is when i do "netstat -a | grep servicename" I get no output but when i do "ps -ef | grep service name", I am able to see the service running I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bryan
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

HP-UX services

Hi, We are running HP-UX 11.11 in trusted mode. We have a audit scheduled next week and I have been given the resp. to check all the network servies and other user maintenance things. Is there any HP document which states which services can be easily disabled and how. Like ftp, finger etc.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isingh786
1 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Services for Unix

I just installed Services for Unix on a Windows 2003 DC. I have a Debian box with Samba shares for our storage drive. I'm trying to test a Linux client. She is unable to read or write from the Samba shares. Her login is being mapped to the same name from NIS to AD. She can login from a windows... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dawningtech
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

services in linux

hi, what is the command for checking the particular services and how can we find whether that service is up or down. Consider http service. how to check whether its up or down Edit: Question continued here. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satheeshkr_cse
0 Replies

7. Solaris

etc/services

Need help from the unix admins out there. I am trying to telnet from a windoze machine to a sun machine. It won't let me connect. I looked at etc/services and I found the port that telnet was listening on. But, how can I tell if its actually up and available? is there a unix command I can issue?... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
15 Replies

8. Red Hat

Restart of services if port no is changed in /etc/services in RHEL

I had a doubt if any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services in an RHEL setup is changed. For eg, the port no of 443 for SSL may need to be changed. I hope my query is clear whether any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services is changed. Please revert with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Start services based on dependent services on other AIX machine

Hi, I just started working on a script. After my research, i found a command which can help me: AIM: To build a script which starts the services (Services 1) on server 1 automatically whenever its down. And it has a dependency on other service (Service 2) on Server 2. So my script has to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: draghun9
4 Replies
scanssh(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						scanssh(1)

NAME
scanssh -- scans the Internet for open proxies and SSH servers SYNOPSIS
scanssh [-VIERph] [-s scanners,...] [-n ports,...] [-e excludefile] addresses... DESCRIPTION
ScanSSH scans the given addresses and networks for running services. It mainly allows the detection of open proxies and Internet services. For known services, ScanSSH will query their version number and displays the results in a list. The adresses can be either specified as an IPv4 address or an CIDR like IP prefix, ipaddress/masklength. Ports can be appended by adding a colon at the end of address specification. Additionally, the following two commands can be prefixed to the address: random(n[,seed])/ The random command selects random address from the address range specified. The arguments are as follows: n is the number of address to randomly create in the given network and seed is a seed for the pseudo random number generator. split(s,e)/ The split command is used to split the address range in several unique components. This can be use to scan from serveral hosts in parallel. The arguments are as follows: e specifies the number of hosts scanning in parallel and s is the number of the host this particular scan runs on. The options are as follows: -V Causes scanssh to print its version number. -I Does not send a SSH identification string. -E Exit the program, if the file containing the addresses for exclusion can not be found. -R If addresses are generated at random, this flag causes the program to ignore excluded addresses from the exclude file. The default behaviour is to always exclude addresses. -p Specifies that ScanSSH should operate as a proxy detector. This flag sets the default modes and default scanners to detect open proxies. -h Displays the usage of the program. -n ports,... Specifies the port numbers to scan. Ports are separated by commas. Each specified scanner is run for each port in this list. The default is 22. -s scanners Specifies a number of scanners should be executed for each open port. Multiple scanners are separated by commas. The fol- lowing scanners are currently supported: ssh Finds versions for SSH, Web and SMTP servers. socks5 Detects if a SOCKS V5 proxy is running on the port. socks4 Detects if a SOCKS V4 proxy is running on the port. http-proxy Detects a HTTP get proxy. http-connect Detects a HTTP connect proxy. telnet-proxy Detects telnet based proxy servers. -e excludefile Specifies the file that contains the addresses to be excluded from the scan. The syntax is the same as for the addresses on the command line. The output from scanssh contains only IP addresses. However, the IP addresses can be converted to names with the logresolve(8) tool included in the Apache webserver. EXAMPLES
The following command scans the class C network 10.0.0.0 - 10.0.0.255 for open proxies: scanssh -p 10.0.0.0/24 The next command scans for ssh servers on port 22 only: scanssh -n 22 -s ssh 192.168.0.0/16 The following command can be used in a parallel scan. Two hosts scan the specified networks randomly, where this is the first host: scanssh 'random(0,rsd)/split(1,2)/(192.168.0.0/16 10.1.0.0/24):22,80' BUGS
At the moment, scanssh leaves a one line entry in the log file of the ssh server. It is probably not possible to avoid that. BSD
July 17, 2000 BSD