Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to "hibernate" a process? Post 302498756 by Corona688 on Tuesday 22nd of February 2011 11:13:08 AM
Old 02-22-2011
There's lots of ways to do this in UNIX.

The simplest way to fix your loop is to add a usleep(100000); at the bottom of your while(1) loop: This will put the process to sleep for at least 100 milliseconds per loop, preventing it from checking for the file more than 10 times per second. The process literally goes to sleep, consuming no CPU time until the delay is up. This may also mean a lag of up to a tenth of a second between a new file being created and the new file being used.

Other, more direct methods, may depend on what your system actually is.

One concern: Is this actually a flag file, i.e. this file is created only after all the data is finished? Or is it one of the data files, which you might catch in the middle of being written to instead of after it's done?
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process seen in "ps aux" but not "top"

Hi, I have a process that can be seen after "ps aux" command. However when I do "top" command. This process cannot be seen. How can this happen? Is there anything wrong with my code? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkfan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

"service" , "process" and " daemon" ?

Friends , Anybody plz tell me what is the basic difference between "service" , "process" and " daemon" ? Waiting for kind reply .. .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
USLEEP(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 USLEEP(3)

NAME
usleep -- suspend process execution for an interval measured in microseconds LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int usleep(useconds_t microseconds); DESCRIPTION
The usleep() function suspends execution of the calling process until either microseconds microseconds have elapsed or a signal is delivered to the process and its action is to invoke a signal-catching function or to terminate the process. System activity may lengthen the sleep by an indeterminate amount. This function is implemented using nanosleep(2) by pausing for microseconds microseconds or until a signal occurs. Consequently, in this implementation, sleeping has no effect on the state of process timers, and there is no special handling for SIGALRM. RETURN VALUES
The usleep() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The usleep() function will fail if: [EINTR] A signal was delivered to the process and its action was to invoke a signal-catching function. SEE ALSO
nanosleep(2), sleep(3) HISTORY
The usleep() function appeared in 4.3BSD. BSD
February 13, 1998 BSD